Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: E-Books Not Being Made Available to Libraries

I understand that the Xbox tournaments are efforts to get kids to the library.  And if that works, then fine - but I remain skeptical.  The library should be an oasis - away from all the Internet, Xbox, Facebook, etc.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sub_rosa wrote:

I understand that the Xbox tournaments are efforts to get kids to the library.  And if that works, then fine - but I remain skeptical.  The library should be an oasis - away from all the Internet, Xbox, Facebook, etc.

I'd agree that Xbox tournaments, Wii games etc are not part of a library's mission.

But I, in no way think that a library should be an oasis from the internet et al...  One of a library's core purposes is to allow research.  As a child I went to the Carnegie for Beverly Cleary, Frances Hodgson Burnett and EB White.  When I was in middle school I went to the library for pleasure reading, but also to write papers, do homework, do research.

Maybe Facebook doesn't fall into "Research" as far as internet use, but the internet is a valuable research tool for high schoolers (probably middle-schoolers, but as I don't have children, I don't *know* that) and is a place to study for college students.

To suggest that technology has no place in the library is to wish for the 1950s back.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

In addition to being a bookseller, I'm also a librarian whose library held a Wii Sports tournament on Saturday as part of National Gaming Day. We had a pretty good crowd, the kids had lots of fun, and most of them checked out books or movies on their way home. Don't knock the video games any more than kids programs, public speakers, film screenings, or book discussion groups. They're all tactics with one ultimate objective in mind: to get people in the door and using their public library.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

Don't really feel like explaining what he means when he says putting the kings steel into the forge and things like that.

Now that's one euphemism I've never heard before :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:. What's next? - "Metallurgists do it with sparks?" :smileytongue:

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

aditya wrote:

Ozman69 wrote:

Don't really feel like explaining what he means when he says putting the kings steel into the forge and things like that.

Now that's one euphemism I've never heard before :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:. What's next? - "Metallurgists do it with sparks?" :smileytongue:

Do you suppose it was a "Knight she'd never forget!"?  LOL

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

My earliest reading memories are of walking to the town library when I was a kid and reading all the biographies I could find.   All the librarians knew me by name and I knew them.  It was great.  As I got older I continued to borrow books from the library even though I could afford to buy them.  I rarely read books a 2nd time and libraries just make sense for me.

One of the main reasons I purchased a Nook was that I could borrow library books and I do it quite often.  I have noticed, though, that recently even the NY Public Library hasn't gotten very many new books in.  I'm not happy about that.  There are many times that I will borrow the first book in a series and then purchasing the rest of the books because I liked the first book.

Not allowing me to "sample" a series like that does not make me happy.

These publishers are being extremely short-sighted and letting greed cloud their better judgement.  People are just not reading very much these days.  They are entranced by the TV or the PC or whatever electronic entertainment they have.

***By the way, I've also read every Stephen King book other than the "Dark Tower" series which just hasn't appealed to me.  I'll probably read it at some point though.***

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

................  I have noticed, though, that recently even the NY Public Library hasn't gotten very many new books in.  I'm not happy about that.  There are many times that I will borrow the first book in a series and then purchasing the rest of the books because I liked the first book.

Not allowing me to "sample" a series like that does not make me happy.

These publishers are being extremely short-sighted and letting greed cloud their better judgement......

I know.  I often go to the Overdrive web site to see if a book is available to libraries. I am saddened to see how often of late books are not there in ebook format. If a book is available to libraries, I will send an email to my library & ask if it can be added to their list, & I am pleased to see that often the response is positive. Librarians, too, are very frustrated by this entrenched attitude by publishers. I find it so bizarre that the publishers very often will make the book available to libraries in audio format but not ebook.  What does that say?  They do NOT prefer the written word?  ADE (it seems to me) effectively protects the DRM in the books, &, like the Overdrive Media Console for audio books, past due books are swept off your computer & ereaders when they expire.  Indeed, with audiobooks, by not deleting, you can keep the audiobook longer & it is still usable on your device.

I still dig my heels in, & won't buy for over a certain price if a publisher won't make a book available to libraries.  I've lost some favorites, but I've found new ones too.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I have noticed, though, that recently even the NY Public Library hasn't gotten very many new books in.  I'm not happy about that.  There are many times that I will borrow the first book in a series and then purchasing the rest of the books because I liked the first book.

I've noticed several people mentioning this, could there be another reason, such as money?  I don't know when any of these entities fiscal year ends, but the federal government's fiscal year ended 9/30.  Typically, after that, there's a time lag in being able to purchase items, as they entities wait for the budgets to be finalized and the money dispersed.  I haven't heard of any other publishers joining the "no eBooks for libraries" mentality, so perhaps the lack of new books is due to other reasons.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

It could very likely be that the libraries have no budget left as it is towards the end of the year.  Hopefully that means they'll plan more for the popularity of e-books and get more funding next year.  

Off-topic a bit I know our small town library is possibly joining the County library system as we don't have enough of a budget to keep the library going as it currently is.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

aditya wrote:

Ozman69 wrote:

Do you suppose it was a "Knight she'd never forget!"?  LOL

Ohhhhh :smileytongue: - that's the worst one yet. The groans could be heard for miles ...

The cake is a lie.
Frequent Contributor
DenisePW

I'm sure that budgetary restraints have an impact, but if you go to Overdrive, you will see if an ebook is even available to libraries.  MacMillan refuses to make their ebooks available to libraries at all, & Simon & Schuster has limited titles available.  By going to Overdrive you can determine if the book can be bought by a library at all.  A librarian directed me to the Overdrive site, so that I could be sure if a title was available before I asked for it to be purchased.  I have found that libraries have been pretty responsive and even proactive if a book is available, but they can't buy what the greedy Agency 5 won't sell them.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I have noticed, though, that recently even the NY Public Library hasn't gotten very many new books in.  I'm not happy about that.  There are many times that I will borrow the first book in a series and then purchasing the rest of the books because I liked the first book.

If you live in NY, you are also eligible to get a library card from the Brooklyn Public Library - I've been surprised at how much better the selection is at the BKPL (at least as far as what I'm interested in reading).  There also seems to be shorter wait lists for many of the books that both libraries carry.  

What I've really noticed is that the NYPL seems to get a LOT of young adult vampire fiction and self-help books, while BKPL seems to veer at least slightly more to mainstream fiction and current events non-fiction.