Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

E-books not news any more?

This week, Gawker Media closed down its eBookNewser site — the e-book sibling to GalleyCat — which had been one of the premier web sites for news from the e-book world. The old eBookNewser URL now takes you to AppNewser. AppNewser has a tag for e-book news, although the tag doesn't seem to be getting used reliably.

Is this another sign that the dedicated e-reader is on its way out, to be replaced by tablets? Is the NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight the last big app-free e-reader announcement — at least, before the end of the world later this year?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: E-books not news any more?

There's still enough of us out there that were raised reading DTBs. Until we're all gone and replaced with people who haven't experienced it (poor things), I think the demand for DTBs and dedicated reading devices will be there. Unless someone is planning to kill us all off to speed up the process. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Tim40744

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

...Unless someone is planning to kill us all off to speed up the process. :smileyhappy:

There IS an ever increasing need for Soylent Green.  :smileysurprised:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

...Unless someone is planning to kill us all off to speed up the process. :smileyhappy:

Shoo...Shoo....I plan to be around for a long time. You can just eat veggies until then!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tim40744 wrote:

Too funny! Or how about Farenheit 451, only with the smell of burning plastic?

I'm not so sure that this might signify the demise of ereaders. To me it is more of an indication about how broad the use of an ereader is becoming -- sort of like how mp3 players are now common-place items.

A number of schools have opted to use ereaders for their students' textbooks to help alleviate the problem of back strain. The ereader will become common in the students' lives, just like the computer.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Desert_Brat wrote:

I'm not so sure that this might signify the demise of ereaders.

It's not that people won't be reading e-books. It's that apps are more important than e-books to the overwhelming majority of the public (or so it seems). It wasn't that eBookNewser went away so much as that it was kicked to the curb by AppNewser.

Today, it's all about the apps. If you happen to read an e-book along the way, that's okay too.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Today, it's all about the apps. If you happen to read an e-book along the way, that's okay too.

I just hope there's some epaper-like devices to read them on...  I'll have to go back to DTBs if we end up with only LCDs...

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I just hope there's some epaper-like devices to read them on...  I'll have to go back to DTBs if we end up with only LCDs...

Amen! I would never trade my NST for a backlit tablet.

I expect that e-ink screens will actually continue to improve. There sure is a proven market for them now. I expect them to get quicker and offer higher contrast with at least a couple more bits of grayscale (64 levels).

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

I expect that e-ink screens will actually continue to improve. 

The color eink is unimpressive because the color is so, so, so muted, but Liquavista and Mirasol are intriguing.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I agree, it's mostly because ereaders and ebooks are getting to be pretty mainstream these days so aren't necessarily NEWS anymore. But I don't think ereaders are going to fade out of existance OR be replaced by tablets.

I have an N2A card on my NC, but I find I spend very little time on that side of my NC. I use it only for reading Kindle books and library books. Otherwise I stay on the NC side of things. Because the NC is not a tablet for me...it's my portable library (as is my NST). I've also rooted my NST so I can read Kindle and library ebooks on it. I'm thinking of just rooting the NC because I'm not really into the tablet experience. I'm a reader at heart.

I used to carry a book with me everywhere, Now I carry my NC or my NST or both, because I never know which one I want to use. (I like to pick out reads on the NC because I do miss color covers on my NST. It's still part of the reading experience for me.)

Hubby is a techy guy, has to have all the gadgets, an IPhone, and IPad, etc. He is not a reader and doesn't understand why I prefer my Nooks to his Ipad. He points out to me all the time that he can read ebooks on it, but I tell him to let me know how that works for him after he's actually read an entire book on it. :smileyhappy:

I have yet to find an app that comes close to the reading experience of a BOOK OR a dedicated ereader. It's not just about being able to read an ebook. It's about ENJOYING the process.

I only know ONE tablet user who is a reader and she has the NT, which is still primarily an ereader,

She CAN play games on it, watch movies, etc...but mainly...she reads on it.

People who read for pleasure or as their favorite pasttime have existed for a long time. I don't think we are going away anytime soon. Until we do, I see a need for dedicated Ereaders, because we are all about reading, not apps.......and I really LOVE having my entire library in my purse. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Compulsiveread, your comment about your hubby reading on his ipad illustrates why so  many tech devices become doorstops if we rely on tech enthuaiasts for advice. I own a larger tablet as well but the lighter weight, portability, customized interface, lower price, longer battery life etc. all are pluses for nooks. I am the most tech savy of my middle aged group and have advised a number of people to consider the nook family.  Some swayed by commercials and oithers that the ipad is the "best" have regretted it. I think a good test is that if you don't want or use the added features on a smartphone you may find larger tablets overkill.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I use an iPad for a number of things, including typing this right now. But I find if I try to use it for a few hours of straight reading it does strain my eyes, and it's also too heavy to easily hold in one hand and read in bed. I have to recharge it every day, sometimes more than once with heavy use. I find the NST to be idea for its purpose, which is reading, and just reading,
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]
I love my NST, but I have read my last 8 or 10 books on my iPad. I don't find it cumbersome or heavy, but I'm used to reading hardcovers, so maybe that's why. It also doesn't give me eye strain the way my laptop will after a while. I keep my NOOK for iPad app in night mode and am perfectly happy. Everyone has different needs and preferences. There plenty of room for everyone.
ABthree

Ya_Ya wrote:
The color eink is unimpressive because the color is so, so, so muted, but Liquavista and Mirasol are intriguing.

I wish, Ya_Ya -- I had high hopes for Mirasol -- but I think they've missed the window.  I fear that Doug's intimations may be right, and the dedicated eReader will go the way of the pocket calculator:  a niche market will persist, but most people will opt for multfunctional devices most of the time.

Oh well, that's progress for you.  And we DO still have to get past that December 2012 unpleasantness for any of this to matter anyway.  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
I love my NST, but I have read my last 8 or 10 books on my iPad. I don't find it cumbersome or heavy, but I'm used to reading hardcovers, so maybe that's why. It also doesn't give me eye strain the way my laptop will after a while. I keep my NOOK for iPad app in night mode and am perfectly happy. Everyone has different needs and preferences. There plenty of room for everyone.
Our point being that there IS plenty of room for ereaders too and not just tablets. The questions was raised, will ereaders become obsolete because of tablets.
It is not a matter which is better or even a debate about it...but do/will manufactureres believe there is plenty of room for everyone or will they decide that reading apps on IPad or other tablets are the ONLY way we will be reading in the future. Will those of us who prefer ereaders have any say in the matter, or will those who think ereaders are not necessary (like my hubby) get to make that decision for us.We stated reasons why WE think SOME/ENOUGH people will still prefer an ereader.
As far as the IPad...I tried reading on it. Don't like it. But hey, plenty of room for everyone until/unless someone forces me to give up my ereader and use a tablet.

ABthree

compulsivereaderTX wrote
It is not a matter which is better or even a debate about it...but do/will manufactureres believe there is plenty of room for everyone or will they decide that reading apps on IPad or other tablets are the ONLY way we will be reading in the future. Will those of us who prefer ereaders have any say in the matter, or will those who think ereaders are not necessary (like my hubby) get to make that decision for us.

We'll get the same input into the decision that we get in any free market:  we'll get to vote with our dollars.  If there are enough sales of dedicated eReaders to support a broad range of choices, there will be a broad range of choices.  If there are only enough sales to support one Kindle and one EPUB reader, that will be the available selection.

But the cost differential between writing an app for a multipurpose device and manufacturing a dedicated reading device is so great that it will take a LOT of purchases to convince the manufacturers that they don't need to prune the product line.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:
Our point being that there IS plenty of room for ereaders too and not just tablets. The questions was raised, will ereaders become obsolete because of tablets.
It is not a matter which is better or even a debate about it...but do/will manufactureres believe there is plenty of room for everyone or will they decide that reading apps on IPad or other tablets are the ONLY way we will be reading in the future. Will those of us who prefer ereaders have any say in the matter, or will those who think ereaders are not necessary (like my hubby) get to make that decision for us.We stated reasons why WE think SOME/ENOUGH people will still prefer an ereader.
As far as the IPad...I tried reading on it. Don't like it. But hey, plenty of room for everyone until/unless someone forces me to give up my ereader and use a tablet.

I wasn't debating with anyone. I was agreeing with your main point. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

ETA: I see what the issue is. My fault. I wasn't clear. Sorry. Sometimes my mind races ahead of my hands and I don't properly finish thoughts out loud. I may have read the last few books on my iPad, but that was only for convenience because I usually read at night these days and it doesn't give me eye strain like my NC. My NC gave me horrible eye strain whenever I tried to read on it. I do prefer reading on e-ink when I'm not reading paper books, though, and would hate to see them disappear. I would have jumped on the new NST with the GlowLight if it wasn't for the fact that the memory hasn't been expanded and I've maxed out the memory in my current NST with 488 B&N ebooks.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I wasn't debating with anyone. I was agreeing with your main point. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

ETA: I see what the issue is. My fault. I wasn't clear. Sorry. Sometimes my mind races ahead of my hands and I don't properly finish thoughts out loud. I may have read the last few books on my iPad, but that was only for convenience because I usually read at night these days and it doesn't give me eye strain like my NC. My NC gave me horrible eye strain whenever I tried to read on it. I do prefer reading on e-ink when I'm not reading paper books, though, and would hate to see them disappear. I would have jumped on the new NST with the GlowLight if it wasn't for the fact that the memory hasn't been expanded and I've maxed out the memory in my current NST with 488 B&N ebooks.

ack..sorry...:smileysad: I'm a turd sometimes. :smileyhappy:

as far as you memory goes, I solved that by downloading and backing up all my ebooks, and archiving all but the top 50 or so that I want to read. The rest, I let B&N archive for me since I know I have a copy backed up just in case.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

I actually can see the possibility of e-readers almost being given away in the future just to get people to buy e-books.  Of course, that would mean removing DRM at some point to make them all universally usable.  I can see e-readers becoming items like calculators are today.  Most people will have one but there will always be alternative devices that can also perform the same functions.

►Without order there is chaos◄
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Of course with calculators a part of every phone, tablet, and computer I suspect the market for stand alone calculators is smaller.