New User
BJMBM
0 Kudos

EBook Compatibility

Are the embook downloads available for sony readers?

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Re: EBook Compatibility

I own a nook so I don't know what file formats your sony reader can use. Sony has made LOTS of ebook readers and some might even read formats others can't. The best bet, I'd imagine, is to look in the instruction manual or FAQ for your make and model of reader.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

I went to that embooks site (mathematics books?) and I don't think it's compatible with anything. it wanted to install it's own reader on my system. At that point i stoped, since I didn't want to install an unknown reader software on my work PC.

Although this has got to be the strangest place to come to ask questions re: the sony reader.

Contributor
victory1
0 Kudos

Hi BJMBM,

B&N is using a format call eReader which the Sony can't read.  Also when they use ePub, they use a proprietary DRM scheme that makes the Sony unable to read it eventhough it says ePub.

Come over to the Sony Reader Forum if you have a Sony reader.

New User
TralfazNY
0 Kudos

Can Nook Books be read on a Kindle?  Why would anyone buy an ereader that is limited to one merchant's proprietary format?  Would I buy a TV that only could display movies made by Universal Studios?  Why are consumers such patsies?

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

it's not the reader that has the limit, it's the files. Buy an ebook from amazon, it only works on kindle. Buy a book from B&N, only works on nook. Buy one somewhere else, and if the right format is available, and no DRM, it may work on all. Get ebooks from the library, they will have DRM, and will work on nook and sony ereader and ipad, and more, but not kindle.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TralfazNY wrote:

Can Nook Books be read on a Kindle?  Why would anyone buy an ereader that is limited to one merchant's proprietary format?  Would I buy a TV that only could display movies made by Universal Studios?  Why are consumers such patsies?

The only e-books with DRM that Kindle will read are from Amazon. Amazon runs a walled garden, or maybe it might be better termed a walled city. The only way you can read Amazon DRMed e-books is with Kindle or Kindle apps, too.

Why do people buy Kindle? Because it's a lot simpler to use (in part because there is no choice of e-book vendor) and because both the Kindle device and Amazon's e-book store are more capable and more refined than B&N's. Kindle is pretty much a delight to use, while a quick look over the forums here shows that a number of people find NOOK and B&N to be extremely frustrating at times.

Many people don't know, and many more don't care, that they can only buy from Amazon if they buy a Kindle. With Amazon having twice as many fiction titles and five times as many non-fiction titles as B&N does in e-books, they don't have to go looking anywhere else to find the e-book they want. In addition, they can always buy what they want wirelessly (even during the Christmas rush), and you'll almost never find anyone selling an e-book for less than Amazon.

In short, Amazon has their act together. B&N doesn't. At least not yet, and I'm beginning to doubt that B&N will ever get it together. The Christmas server meltdown was a huge red flag for me. B&N knew how many NOOKs they'd sold, and they knew how many were already registered, so they could make a pretty good guess how many were going to be opened as presents Christmas Day. They also knew that their servers were already struggling under the load of the NOOKcolors that weren't Christmas presents. But BN.com didn't come close to setting up enough computer power to deal with it. For the second year in a row! Last year, they were only down for two days. This year, they're still backlogged after two weeks. How many NOOKbook sales they lost, I can't imagine, but it's probably a million or more. How many NOOK buyers they pi--ed off, I can't imagine. In contrast, Amazon cruised right through Christmas.

I own a NOOK precisely because I don't want to be married to Amazon. But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate how much nicer the Amazon/Kindle experience is than the B&N/NOOK experience.

Note to kevinrs: there are other e-readers that work with B&N NOOKbooks, but they aren't the major brands. Most notable are the Pandigital Novel and the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I'm actually getting concerned now that I'm hearing that some publishers will not release all of their e-book titles to libraries.  If this becomes prevalent then there really is no reason to use a Nook vs a Kindle.

►Without order there is chaos◄