Contributor
jonesfamily
0 Kudos

EBooks as gifts from others

We have a number of family members and friends that like to give us books as gifts.  They particularly enjoy picking out books for us.  Is there a way for them to buy an ebook for us for use on our nook?  Gift cards aren't quite the same.

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

Re: EBooks as gifts from others

Excellent question!! I look forward to an answer. I also have several friends who have nooks (because I sold them!), but we enjoy selecting specific books for each other. Gift cards, while nice, are too "generic" for some gifts.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

No. As far as I know, no e-book store has set up a "specific e-book gift" system. B&N recommends giving gift cards.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

It would be kind of fun if they could do a *registry* for ebooks!

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I agree that it would be nice to have a system where people can buy ebooks as a gift for someone else.   It would be a great feature that I'd get a lost of use out of.

Until then....my birthday list will remain very boring with just the request for B&N gift cards :smileyhappy:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

It would be kind of fun if they could do a *registry* for ebooks!

Right now, the problem is the DRM encryption uses the cc of the purchaser to encrypt the file, so there is no way for you to purchase an eBook for someone else unless you use their cc or give them yours. It may be something they could work on in the future, some way to allow you to purchase an eBook for someone else and somehow tie it to their cc for DRM purposes, rather than the purchasers.

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

It could (and should) work like the eBook promo codes they had a month or so back. You buy an ebook as a gift, and they are emailed a redemption code that would add it to their library, DRMd with their default card on file. What would be nicer is if they already had the book, it would convert to a gift card of equivalent value.

Contributor
jonesfamily
0 Kudos

I am glad I asked the question, as it was picked up on PC Mag's site:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367203,00.asp

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

"We haven't announced anything on the eBook gifting front at this time, but are always exploring new ways to help customers enjoy and experience eBooks," the spokesperson said.

aka - it's at the bottom of our list of priorities and unless we're forced to look at it, it will remain there

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I suspect B&N would try to get something in place by the holiday gift giving season so that ebooks could be purchased as gifts.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

I really think that BN *should* look into rolling out a gifting option... I mean, if one can LEND books to an email address, shouldn't it also be possible to work out a way to GIVE them to an email address?

Having this would be a big plus, I'd think, since Amazon does NOT have it. Gift cards just don't work as well, some folks hate either receiving or giving those, but would love to be able to gift or receive a specific book on their Nook!

I think nice features that separate BN from Amazon would do a world of good for the BN bottom line. I know that one of the big things deciding my Nook purchase over Kindle was the ability to borrow eBooks from my local library. (I just checked out my first one yesterday!)

At any rate, I'm sure there should be a way to do it.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
New User
IzzyTM
0 Kudos

So, it sounds like I would have to buy a gift card from B&N rather than purchase the nook books I know my mom wants? I was hoping I could buy these for her online. It would be great if I could send them to her electronically since she's out of state for the winter.

She also told me she has to go into the store to have the nook books put on the device for her?I don't have a Nook so I don't know, but I thought this sounds complicated since she can use the Nook to check her email, etc.

I have the list of books Mom wants and my sister set up her account , so I thought it would be easier to use my credit card and have the books sent directly to her account.

Any suggestions? (Other than the gift card...)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

IzzyTM wrote:

So, it sounds like I would have to buy a gift card from B&N rather than purchase the nook books I know my mom wants? I was hoping I could buy these for her online. It would be great if I could send them to her electronically since she's out of state for the winter.

She also told me she has to go into the store to have the nook books put on the device for her?I don't have a Nook so I don't know, but I thought this sounds complicated since she can use the Nook to check her email, etc.

1)  Yes, there's no ebook gifting at B&N, yet.  Kobo recently announced it and Amazon has just begun doing it for Kindle.  I suspect (although nobody knows) that B&N will do it someday.  Right now it's just a giftcard, though.

2)  She shouldn't have to go to the store; she just logs into her account at bn.com and adds the gift card to her account.  She'll be able to purchase and download the book shortly after she adds it for ebook purchases.

New User
IzzyTM

Thanks. It will be nice to tell my mother that after I give her the gift card she can use it without going into the store.

(It'll still be great when we can buy the gift cards/eBooks online and send those to our family and friends directly!)

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

IzzyTM wrote:

It'll still be great when we can buy the gift cards/eBooks online and send those to our family and friends directly!

You can buy B&N eGift cards online and have them emailed to someone else: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/gift-card/index.asp?pid=36104

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

Just make sure she knows to register it on her account with the appropriate e book gift card link.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ajrosen wrote:

It could (and should) work like the eBook promo codes they had a month or so back. You buy an ebook as a gift, and they are emailed a redemption code that would add it to their library, DRMd with their default card on file. What would be nicer is if they already had the book, it would convert to a gift card of equivalent value.

Promo code, now THIS is an excellent idea! B&N has done promo codes before on in-store promotions.

Perhaps somebody who participated in that promo code event could explain how it worked, did you need anything other than the code to get the free book?

An e-mail response from customer service concerning nooks as gifts (my sister refuses to use credit cards) said that the last 4 digits of the credit card are used for the encryption key. So entering a promo code and the last four digits of the default cc of the B&N account holder, would be VERY easy to do. That is, if there had to be something other than a promo code entered.

I can see it working sort of like the monthly free book from Chicago University Press. You get an e-mail with a download link.

So you would get an e-mail from B&N that says something flowery like John Doe bought a gift especially for you, click on the link below to redeem your gift.

And as the poster suggested, if it's something you already have or don't want, there could be a button to redeem as credit and have it added to the gift card credit portion of your account. If accepted, the e-book would be added to your online library and would appear on the nook device the next time it was synced on wi-fi.

There could even be a place for the purchaser to add a personal message like greeting card sites do with little stamps like kisses, smiley faces, Christmas trees, birthday cakes or things like that. All of this stuff could be easily entered by the purchaser and then the e-mail generated to the recipient. Okay, my mind is working overtime now, got all kinds of possiblities going on :smileysurprised:

I can think of a few other places that do something similar like this, and a number of places where you don't even have to have an account, just a code, to retrieve an item.

So how hard could it be to put this in place? Somebody needs to bring this to the attention of the powers-that-be.

Boy, as a customer, I'd be all over this service like ants on sugar.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
Stas2012
0 Kudos

What's more, now you can send e-cards to your loved ones Nooks. Just did a quick search on BN site and there is a lot of Valentine's Day cards there:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/holiday-e-card?keyword=holiday+e-card&store=ebook

Reader
thenickels
0 Kudos

Actually , you can gift ebooks (and have been able to for a while). The caveat: you must go to a physical store (or call one on the phone) and pay for the books at the register.

They will ask for an email. You can give them the recipient's email or your own. If you give your own, you simply need to forward the email to the recipient. The email will contain a redemption code to add the ebook to the account, thereby linking the DRM info to their credit card.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

In the B&N shop there are some books listed that say "buy as a gift"