Contributor
CyberSammy
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

Perhaps... but then again almost a 10 dollar difference between BN and Apple. I expect a little difference but this is crazy, I mean you read through the forums and some folks say well its the publishing house that sets the prices... so ... are you telling me they set differnet prices depending on who you are.. ie.. Amazon, Apple, or BN..

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

CyberSammy wrote:

Perhaps... but then again almost a 10 dollar difference between BN and Apple. I expect a little difference but this is crazy, I mean you read through the forums and some folks say well its the publishing house that sets the prices... so ... are you telling me they set differnet prices depending on who you are.. ie.. Amazon, Apple, or BN..

It seems you did not read closely enough.  There are some publishers (all of the big 6, plus others) that are using the AGENCY MODEL.  Under this model the publisher sets the price and is the actual seller of the book, not the retailer.  It was created by Apple, who put a clause in the contract that stated that any book sold in the ibookstore could not be priced less than it is in the ibookstore, so all agency books are priced the same at all vendors.

Publishers that are not using the agency model are using the WHOLESALE MODEL, which means that they sell the books to the retailer, who then sets the price.  In this model, any retailer can sell any book for however much they want.

So, if you want to know which model a book falls under, look at the seller.  If the seller is, say, Ace (an imprint of Penguin), not B&N, than the book falls under the agency model and the price will be the same across vendors.  If the seller listed on BN.com is B&N, then the book falls under the wholesale model and the prices may vary across vendors.

As a general rule, a lot of technical and non-fiction books come from smaller presses and fall under the wholesale model, whereas most popular fiction comes from the bigger pubs and falls under the agency model.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Another point worth repeating (it has been mentioned often before) is that B&N seems to have no interest in being competitive in the technical manual and academic market spaces.  Amazon wants to compete in everything.  B&N may well have decided that it is not worth their while to drop their profit margins to practically nothing, or even lose money, in areas where the volume is so low.