Contributor
saukko
0 Kudos

Re: eBook prices increasing?

It's not a matter of taking it personally, its a matter of  organizing a way to convey to the publishers and booksellers quickly and effectively that  buyers are not interested in paying more for a limited license than they are for a phsyical object. I can say I wont pay for  higher priced  Harper Collins books, but will still buy others,; that does not effect the company as much as saying I wont buy anything from them- of course my individual action has  no effect at all on them, hence action by many necessary- the invisible hand night eventually work, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to give it a boost

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm boycotting posts using all bold or all caps.  :smileymad:

Don't Panic
Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Hey Radecliffe...sorry....I'm just used to typing in bold cause it's easier to read!!  So, don't want to offend, lesson learned......   :smileyhappy:

New User
BarSinister
0 Kudos

Book prices

I want to get a Nook . . .

but I don't often buy "Best Sellers" or the N. Y.Times book list books.

I usually get paperback sci fi or thriller/mysteries

and I can't seem to find a "price list" of non best sellers and such

If I'm going to pay 9 bucks for a book I can get in paperback for 7

forget it

can anyone help, please

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Book prices

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

Re: Book prices

I've bought 6 ebooks off of B&N's website so far and all were $6.36 apiece except one which was $9.99.  The latter was Jim Butcher's latest Dresden novel Turn Coat (which hasn't come out in paper back IIRC.)  The others were the first four novels in the Emberverse series which I've been meaning to start reading and the third book of Terry Brooks Genesis of Shannara series. 

I've also bought a number of ebooks off of Baen's website directly in ePub format for 6 bucks each including the just released Torch of Freedom by David Weber.  Baen even has a collection of older publications that you can download for free.

If you go to B&N's website you can easily find a list of Sci Fi and Fantasy that is selling for less than 10 dollars an ebook.  Here is a link.  That pulled up a list of 528 books and almost 500 of them are 8 dollars or less. 

Don't Panic
Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Ebook Prices

I know that this has been brought up time and time again. I just took a look at my ebook wishlist & almost every book on there has gone up since I added it. Not just a little either. Her Fearful Symmetry was $5.79 and it's now over $14. The Sorceress was $9.99 now it's over $11. There are several others on the list too. They were matching amazon's prices for the most part. What happened? Has anyone else noticed the prices increasing? I almost feel like they dropped the prices to match amazon & draw us into nook. Now that we're stuck they're raising them back. I could be totally wrong. Maybe it's the publishers raising the prices. Why would they only raise it for bn & not amazon or kobo? I'm bummed about it cuz I just got couple of gift cards. If I'd had them last week I could of bought more books :womansad:

Contributor
fooflex
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

Yeah I just tested this by checking a new book, I used, "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest"  it's 14.00 dollars on bn.com for ebook, at amazon, the hardcover with free shipping is 11.50, and the kindle version is 9.99. What's up with the pricing bn?

I'm noticing they have plenty of paperbacks that are cheaper then the ebook. That can't be cheaper to produce, so we're getting charged a premium for buying something that cost them less money to make, and after shelling out $250 to them. I'm really annoyed by this, and I hope they get the consesus of that from other readers. They promote the nook to save money, but we're not seeing it.

Frequent Contributor
BBBoutique
0 Kudos

I just called and emailed to let them know how disappointed I was in this...and that I will not be paying that much for ebooks.  I suggest anyone that agrees to do the same. 

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

I might msg Josh, the mod. He seems to have connections :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH
0 Kudos

The ebook I am currently reading "No Less Than Victory" was $9.99 when I bought it in early January. I just happened to look to see other books by the author and see that the book is now over $18. What's going on?  One of the benefits of ebooks is being able to get newly released books for under $10. There is no way that ebooks can be anywhere near as costly as hardcover or paperback plus not having the expense of a brick & mortar store. Even at $9.99 ebooks have to have a large profit margin.

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC

Re: ebook prices

Except for bestsellers, Amazon prices are consistently lower than B&N.

All of the free Google books are also available for the Kindle

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

DavidGC wrote:

All of the free Google books are also available for the Kindle

Only if you convert them into an appropriate format.

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC
0 Kudos

Lots of them are available by direct download from Amazon, too.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

ebook prices

I did some checking around comparing the kindle's ebook prices to yours you at best match the kindle's prices but often are more expensive. Usualy by about $1.60 Hitchicker's Guide to the Galaxy Amazon B&N but saw as much as a $2.20 difference for Twilight Amazon B&N For a book or two thats not much but over time that is a significant savings. What's the deal?

Frequent Contributor
matts1050
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm concerned about that too. I hope B&N will lower their book prices to compete with others.

New User
MickLori
0 Kudos

I am concerned with this issue.  I would like one source for purchasing books and know that I don't have to keep shopping around.  I currently check every ebook site available comparing prices.

Amazon seems to have the best prices but I am not convinced about the Kindle.  Seems too fragile for me.

BN needs to bring their prices more inline with Amazon.

New User
paigecm
0 Kudos

I don't mind if B&N doesn't match Amazon's prices in every case -- but right now, eBook prices for many titles are 9.99 -- even when the title in question is available in mass market paperback for 6.99 or 7.99.  I'm willing to pay 6.99 or 7.99 for an ebook that I can loan -- as opposed to paying .70 to $1 less after Amazon's discount -- but to pay $2 or $3 more for the eBook version? That's something that I'm reluctant to do.

Frequent Contributor
penname12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Heres an interesting read:   http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Nook-would-be-great-if-not-for-Barnes-Nobles-high-ebook-pr...

Looks like B&N has been down this slippery road before......have they learned their lesson?

B&N better respond to this within a month as I have not yet made my ereader purchase yet ....

New User
cadfaelrdr
0 Kudos

The current prices of the BN ebooks will keep me away.  Too bad, it looks like a great device.