Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

Re: ebook prices

When I first read about the Nook I thought this looked like the ereader for me, I have been watching the technology and prices for over 2 years. I too think that the prices of B&N's ebooks are too high, but since the Nook can support several formats, you don't have to buy from them. there are plenty of sites that sell the formats that the Nook can support, any thoughts?

Frequent Contributor
siskiyousummit
0 Kudos

Ereader.com is offering a micropay 75% rebate on purchases right now. They also sent me a "We want you back" half-off offer yesterday, so I got a bunch of titles in preparation for the nook.

Jim

Reader 2
miked03c
0 Kudos

I really like the nook from a hardware standpoint.  When it was announced I was fairly certain I'd buy one after getting to play with it in person.  The combinations of using industry standard ePub, supporting PDF, being expandable, and having a beautiful touchscreen interface make this a clear winner over Kindle.  Now I'm thinking about waiting for Kindle 3 because of the higher book prices.  I looked through some of the books I've read or want to read and noticed almost all of them were more expensive on nook.  That coupled with being taxed (another 8.25% here in NC) and the Kindle has a clear long term lower cost of ownership.  Here are some examples of books I looked up:

Generation Kill by Evan Wright: Amazon $10 BN $11.20 [11.2% more + tax]

Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil Amazon $10 BN $15 [50% more + tax]

Too Big To Fail by Andrew Sorkin Amazon $10 BN $15 [50% more + tax]

Team of Rivals by Doris Goodwin Amazon $8.42 BN $16.80 [99% more + tax]

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger Amazon $8 BN  Not for sale

Two others were the same price $10, My War by Colby Buzzell &  Age of Tubulence by Alan Greenspan

I am aware that Amazon sells some of these books at a loss, but from a purely numbers game the Nook doesn't compute when it comes to content pricing.  I hope they can be more competitive, if so I will likely purchase one!

New User
On_the_Fence
0 Kudos

Re: Price of eBooks

I am in the same boat.  My husband was going to purchase an ereader for me last year but didn't know which one I would like best so he told me about the gift ahead of time.  While I really appreciated the gesture I decided to hold off on making the leap.  A couple reasons for this - 1) I like to pass on good books to my friends/family after I have enjoyed them. 2) I wasn't sure I would like to curl up in front of the fireplace with an electronic gadget as much as I do with a good old paperback. 3) I find most of my books on the bargain table at my local B&N store. I hardly ever buy a book at full price.

I am seriously considering buying the Nook now.  I don't fully understand the lending option yet, but at least with the Nook I have the opportunity to share books I like with my friends/family (assuming they have a Nook too). I think I can get past the curling up with a gadget thing.  However, the ONLY thing that is holding me back right now is the pricing.  I am currently reading A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve.  I found it on the bargain table in the store for $5.98.  If I want to buy the ebook now it will cost me $11.99. What I simply don't understand is why the ebook costs more money than the paperback in the store?????

At the same time I purchased this book off the bargain table I also purchased the following:

The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares $5.98  ebook: $11.20

The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham $5.98  ebook: Not Available

Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger $4.98   ebook:$7.99

And God Created the Au Pair by Benedicte Newland and Pascale Smets $4.98  ebook: Not Available

Miss New York has Everything by Lori Jakiela $4.98  ebook: $9.99

I would be willing to pay $1-$2 more online for the ebook simply by having the convenience of not having to go to the store to buy books.  However, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay DOUBLE the price for the exact same book just to be able to read it on a Nook instead of reading a paper copy, especially when there's a large up-front investment in the Nook.  Ebooks are more environmentally friendly than traditional books so I would like to make the switch.  However, with this current pricing, there is a dis-incentive to purchase the Nook.  Like so many of the other people who have posted, I have not even discussed the issue of pricing of other ebook sellers.  I am only comparing B&N bookstore pricing to their ebook pricing.

I have read other posts about Amazon losing money on their ebooks due to their low-pricing strategy.  While I understand that B&N is a business and needs to make money, they may be wise to follow Amazon's pricing strategy in this case.  While I prefer the Nook over the Kindle, I may end up buying a kindle simply because I don't feel I'm getting screwed on their ebook pricing.  I am also a B&N member and don't quite understand why the membership discount doesn't apply to the Nook or ebooks.

B&N I know that other people have pleaded with you to listen to your customers.  I am echoing that sentiment.  I would love to see the Nook and B&N succeed with this new product.  Unfortunately, I don't see how that can be possible if you don't take a long, hard look at your pricing.

Contributor
nddaveman
0 Kudos

That's a great point - it's not just a higher base price compared to Amazon, but there is also tax (because BN does business in brick and mortar stores in every state).

I cancelled by nook order and went with the Kindle 2. Not only did I save the $25 on tax, I also get it within the week, get lower prices on books across the board, and I do not having to wait and see what "may" happen.

The only downside - no mp3 feature to rock out while reading. Guess my iPod will have to do.

Frequent Contributor
nookieJH
0 Kudos

i think people are missing the big picture about the ebook buying.  You CAN buy ebooks at other vendors to read on the nook.  At Amazon you canNOT.  Amazon had you locked into their store.  You have freedom to buy from other stores with a Nook.  I think in the long run B&N will have to do something about their ebook prices because other ebook vendors will / do out price them now and you can just buy it cheaper.

New User
thelinuxman
0 Kudos

I have been following the Nook since before the launch - and I must admit, the ebook pricing issue is finally turning into a deal breaker for me.  Like said elsewhere in this thread - you can purchase epubs elsewhere, but in every place I have looked - Amazon still has the prices beat, by a considerable margin.

The Nook is pretty - but in the end - you won't be reading books on the touch screen, you'll be using a MP3 player to listen to Mp3s, and you'll be using your e-reader for one thing, to read.  

I love the idea of an open ereader - but DRM epubs are still DRM files - you would still have to strip the DRM to make them truly portable, which would put you on even ground with the Kindle.

I have no qualms about stripping books of DRM that I have purchased - it is a way to feel more secure that my ebook purchase will not one day just go away because the DRM goes out of style or there is a new player, etc.  

I would love to own a Nook, but I have to say, considering the price of ebooks - I'm leaning towards the other direction.

If B&N would be more competitive on prices - and would fix some of the selection issues - I would purchase a Nook in a heartbeat.  It's the hardware that I WANT to use - but a 6 inch e-ink screen is a 6 inch e-ink screen in the end.  The content is reason I want a nook, and like many others, the pricing of that content is a deal breaker rather than some arbitrary tech spec.

Contributor
AK_Reader
0 Kudos

I just canceled my nook order.  Just not feeling the love.  Maybe after the dust settles with BN in the next year after the price issues, gift cards,shareing, etc. I'll revisit it and give away the Kindle 2 I just ordered. 

Frequent Contributor
GoodOldNeon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nookieJH wrote:

i think people are missing the big picture about the ebook buying.  You CAN buy ebooks at other vendors to read on the nook.  At Amazon you canNOT.  Amazon had you locked into their store.  You have freedom to buy from other stores with a Nook. 

Really? Interesting, as this is entirely false. I'm locked in, that's strange, because as a Kindle owner, I purchase, download, and upload books from other vendors all the time - many of them free.

From Fictionwise:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/kindleFaq.htm

Frequent Contributor
RaAusar
0 Kudos

AK_Reader wrote:

I just canceled my nook order.  Just not feeling the love.  Maybe after the dust settles with BN in the next year after the price issues, gift cards,shareing, etc. I'll revisit it and give away the Kindle 2 I just ordered. 

I must admit even though I pre-ordered my nook. Pricing was an issue with me as well but when it came down to it I personally rather have a device that's more akin to my iPhone with the potential to include apps & additional functionality, more openness to other ereader formats, and ease of use.

I've been watching the ereader market for several years now and haven't been pleased with what I saw. The tactile feedback of the kindle made me cringe. The keyboard looked ackward and took up too much real estate on the device. Sony's ereader had potential but lacked Internet access 3G or WIFI. Syncing to my PC everyday just wasn't doable for me. And because I'm not fond of off brand labels, I didn't consider many other because of fear of the company going out of business.

New User
Scribbles
0 Kudos

I am just absolutely amazed to read that someone is actually apauled at spending $40 dollars more a year on books.  That is an absolutely insignifigant amount for what you are getting. The LendMe feature will make up for that $40 easy, if not that then thousands of free e-books will for sure.

Well Barnes & Noble is just starting out on this venture and based on it's success I am sure the prices will go down.  Barnes & Noble is the largest book retailer in America and it continues to give you what Amazon can't.  You can walk into a Barnes & Noble grab a cup of coffee,  browse the shelfs, and get personal customer service.  When you do so with nook you get special offers and coupns that appear on your nook the second you enter the store.  You also can sample any book in the ebook store for as long as you are there, just like picking it off the shelf and reading it with a cup of coffee in the cafe.

Frequent Contributor
GoodOldNeon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Scribbles wrote:

I am just absolutely amazed to read that someone is actually apauled at spending $40 dollars more a year on books.  That is an absolutely insignifigant amount for what you are getting. The LendMe feature will make up for that $40 easy, if not that then thousands of free e-books will for sure.

Well Barnes & Noble is just starting out on this venture and based on it's success I am sure the prices will go down.  Barnes & Noble is the largest book retailer in America and it continues to give you what Amazon can't.  You can walk into a Barnes & Noble grab a cup of coffee,  browse the shelfs, and get personal customer service.  When you do so with nook you get special offers and coupns that appear on your nook the second you enter the store.  You also can sample any book in the ebook store for as long as you are there, just like picking it off the shelf and reading it with a cup of coffee in the cafe.

$40 buys a lot of coffee - and last time I checked, you can walk into a B&N, pick up book up off the shelf, and read it - without the need for a Nook. Most people own not only a computer, but a coffee machine as well. And, given B&N’s current financial position, there is talk that they will be closing stores, so, there’s no guarantee that your local store will be there down the road.

Contributor
AK_Reader
0 Kudos

Don't be apauled at $40, that is not nearly how much the difference is between current pricing and the books I priced.  With the current structure it will be in the hundreds with the number of best sellers I read.  Now as to how handy it is to go into Barnes and Noble in Alaska.  We do have them in Anchorge and Fairbanks, maybe Juneau.  A great deal of the state does not have access to hanging out at the bookstore.  I personally do, so it would have worked for me. Lots of the state does not have easy wifi available either.  But that is here nor there, we are just one state with not many people so it is definitely not about me.

Truly, BN may get their pricing down.  I like them as a bookstore, just not ready to grab the first round of nooks.  If all you guys say it is the best thing since sliced bread after you get it, I'll probably moved towards it.  I do think Admins/Management needed to take a more proactive voice regarding the pricing.

New User
thelinuxman
0 Kudos

For me - one of the biggest issues I have is the complete lack of communication about this.  I don't blame the admins here, I know it's not their call - but because the question has been raised, I believe there should be some sort announcement about it.  In the Nook, it appears we may have one very sexy piece of hardware - but far away from where the engineers sit a bunch of suits are meeting in board rooms, and the realm of pricing is their realm, and I don't trust a single one of them not to try to squeeze every nickel out of us that they possibly can.

If they would announce some type of price matching with Amazon - announce that they are aware of it and are lowering prices - anything - I would be a lot more open to purchasing the Nook.  

One user said $40/year more on Nook - for me I know it would be higher based on my own price comparisons in the 2 online stores.  If those suits can convince you that your Nook library has a greater value than the same library on the Kindle - regardless of a large price gap - then I suppose you will be a happy customer, and BN will be more than happy to oblige you.  I tend to value my digital assets differently, and to me, price is king.

I know that Amazon is eating some of the cost of their ebooks in order to meet their promise of 9.99 and under - but what is important is, they are creating a expectation in the minds of the consumers that a digital book only has a certain amount of value - and as much as the publishers want to fight that, they can't.  If the publishers want to sell books, they will all eventually learn they must price them accordingly.  

If BN can't handle being a loss leader in this market - then why even bother?  Seriously - a DRM Epub is just as open as a DRM Kindle book - both require the stripping of the DRM to truly be "open" or convertible.

I haven't order a Nook or a Kindle 2 yet - I'll wait for this to release - see how the smoke settles.  Come Cyber-Monday though, if Amazon puts out some sweetheart Kindle deal, I might just bite.

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nddaveman wrote:

<snip>   The only downside - no mp3 feature to rock out while reading. Guess my iPod will have to do.

You are mistaken. The Kindle can store and play mp3 files.

Contributor
avwh
0 Kudos

thelinuxman wrote:

One user said $40/year more on Nook - for me I know it would be higher based on my own price comparisons in the 2 online stores.  If those suits can convince you that your Nook library has a greater value than the same library on the Kindle - regardless of a large price gap - then I suppose you will be a happy customer, and BN will be more than happy to oblige you.  I tend to value my digital assets differently, and to me, price is king.

I know that Amazon is eating some of the cost of their ebooks in order to meet their promise of 9.99 and under - but what is important is, they are creating a expectation in the minds of the consumers that a digital book only has a certain amount of value - and as much as the publishers want to fight that, they can't.  If the publishers want to sell books, they will all eventually learn they must price them accordingly.  

I calculate the difference to be more like $200/yr, at current B&N pricing - almost the price of the Nook itself.

I'm sure the suits are looking carefully at the Nook pre-order sales, and won't budge a dime on ebook pricing if enough people make the emotional decision to get the "latest and greatest" without realizing or calculating how much more their ebooks will cost.

New User
Tom_M
0 Kudos

Message for BN Corporate: I just spent 3 hours (!) researching the differences between the nook and kindle.

Bottom Line: Nook is a great device but Kindle/Amazon has you beat hands down on ebook price!

I'm going with the kindle...

Frequent Contributor
penname12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You people who say your opting for the Kindle because of their lower prices- go right ahead. You know they cannot sustain losses very long. I guarantee- Amazon will raise their ebook prices in the future. I always thought that way about Walmart. Sure they had the lowest prices and thats what kept me going there. Then over the course of time- their prices have gone up and in some cases- Walmart is now pretty equal to  their competition. It is safe to compare Amazon with Walmart in their business strategies.

New User
Otheym
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The ebook prices in B&N border on out of control compaired to Amazon.

You can get the Lord of The Rings trilogy for $10.88 on Amazon but on B&N it will cost you $30.

Or even better.  The book Children of Dune is $19.96 on B&N but on Amazon it is $6.39.  Why is an ebook on B&N 13.57 more than their competitor for no reason at all?  Also the paperback of this book on B&Ns site is $7.99.  Why is an ebook the same cost of the hardcover edition?

I should not be able to look through my favorite series and find 4 books with a 32 dollar price gap between companies.  It's just not acceptabe for ebooks.

My wife wants an ereader for x-mas and I really want to buy a Nook for her but with these crazy prices there is no way I can justify getting a device that forces me to pay more than the paperback cost of a book.

New User
CatyM
0 Kudos

I understand everyone's concern about price, but here is the reason I will be getting a nook: I can read ANY e-book available on bn.com for FREE when I am in a B&N store.  I have to read somewhere, and this way I can decide which books I really want to buy.  Besides, I love my B&N store.  I can read on my nook and still have the smell of books.  Plus, I can enjoy an awesome cup of coffee.