Contributor
Thyan
0 Kudos

Re: new higher prices on ebooks!!

I agree with all the posters.  I bought the Nook as the sales person in the store kept promoting the prices of the books-yet here I am, just 3 weeks later with much higher prices then I was lead to believe.

I almost feel that I have been taken advantage of.

I have a B&N Readers card, yet it can't be used for Nook accessories.  $125 for a COVER?  

Reader
dukmn
0 Kudos

Re: new higher prices on ebooks!!

I really like my Nook but I'm afraid, with the increased prices of books, that it will go the way of the old Betamax VCR's.

What a way to reward those of us early purchasers.  We've basically beta tested the device, lived through the glitches and now...just as things are going well...they raise the prices on e-books.

How is that going to look to new Nook purchasers especially now that BN is saying you can buy a Nook in-store.

Reader 4
jenltd
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

Barnes & Noble, please reconsider your recent price increases. At $9.99 or less, I will be happy to purchase eBooks, but I will not be able to afford my reading habit if eBooks are over $15 a pop! In January, I purchased Her Fearful Symmetry for $5.79. It is now $17.54. Yikes! What is going on? Your own "Don't Miss" list has 17 books that are over 10 dollars and only 4 that are not. I bought my nook under the impression that your prices would be competitive. I sincerely hope you live up to your end of the bargain.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Wow, my eBook wish list just became a lot more expensive!

ScrappersNook wrote:

I would never return my Nook over jacked up ebook prices...there are just too many other sources to get a book from, including the library....why cut off your nose to spite your face?    For myself, I'll just keep my dollars, keep my Nook and continue watching for the free offers, and making good use of my library card.  Can't even imagaine giving up my Nook now.....after only a month and a half, and not one single solitary problem...I love my Nook.  It goes where I go.  The old saying is...'What goes up must come down' - it's just a matter of time.

As the prices rise, the selections at libraries will slow in size increases.  Libraries are bound to their budgets and if they have to pay 2 and 3 times more for a book than they budgeted for it either they won't purchase it or they will cut purchases somewhere else.  In addition, most library budgets are classified by source so the ebooks will suffer from their own price increases. 

Reader 2
NoirMoon
0 Kudos

Re: new higher prices on eBooks!!

I have been reading over the responses to the higher prices for a few days and I have been thinking about the situation and I have come to some conclusions.

I bought my nook because I am a book buyer, a book reader, and I simply just spend too much money on books and have too many books in my house.  I wanted to have an ereader with an open format (unlike the kindle), I wanted to save money on books (which I thought I would be doing since I wouldn't be buying new release hardbacks), and I wanted to stop filling my house with so many books.  I want to be clear on one major point:  I did not buy an ereader to fill it up with free eBooks that I have no desire to ever read. 

In many responses to the eBook pricing debacle, people suggest the option of the free eBooks on Barnes & Noble and other sites.  I looked at these free books at length.  I don't want to read these books.  I did not get an ereader to read books I read in high school English class, Harlequin romances, or other books that I am just simply not interested in. I got the nook to read books that I would have been reading in paper format, which I would have bought.  And now the eBook is more expensive than the paper format in many cases.  I am highly irritated by this.

Another suggestion has been to use Overdrive at the library.  I live in a small town.  Our library does not offer this service.  Also, I want to own books rather than borrow books. I do not want a time constraint when reading, and many other people do not either.  I did not get a nook as a library borrowing tool.  I am just not a library user.  I am a book buyer.  And I got an ereader partially to save some money on books. And now the prices have gone way up.  I am irritated by this.

So basically, I just want to vent my frustration and also say that the free eBooks are just not a good substitute for a solution to this problem. And neither is the library.

I have been an extremely loyal Barnes & Noble customer for many years and have spent thousands of dollars both in the stores and online.  I feel so hoodwinked and duped by this whole nook mess. I can't help but love my little gadget, but I am starting to seriously mistrust the company who made it.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

This is getting ridiculous.  Her Fearful Symmetryby Audrey Niffenegger was $5.79 (like you mentioned), last week it went up to $14.03, now $17.54. What's the deal?!? I WILL NOT buys books at this price. Now Kobo has also gone up on it too. Last week it was still $5.79 now it's $16.19. This must be fueled by the publishers to some extent. Just sucks that BN can't make some sort of announcement or something. At least Kindle owners know Amazon is fighting for them cuz it's all over the web. BN just rolls over to them & doesn't tell it's customer's anything. :smileymad:

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

Re: ebook price increase--they've lost their minds

If you will take a *deep* breath and really look at the price problem, you will see that the problem started not with BN. The most recent increase in prices is directly caused by Apple starting its iBookstore and setting prices via the agency model. Amazon's ebook prices have been artificially low so that they could sell more Kindles. Often Amazon was selling at a loss. They have used a reverse 'Gillette strategy' of charging more for the reader and less for the books. Apple seems to be trying to run Amazon out of the business. I don't believe Apple enjoys a competitive marketplace. They seem to want to control any market they are in. If you want to rant, Apple and the various publishers would be a very good target. Amazon tried for a *very* short time to resist the publisher price change. The caved in after a day or so, as I remember it. They could be included in the rants. Amazon is so large as an ebook seller that once they caved in the rest had little choice.

We need to place the blame when it belongs. As the publishers negotiate new contracts with all of the sellers, we will probably see all prices increase.

I don't support the increased prices. I don't understand why prices for ebooks should be so high other than greed on the publishers part. They are going to ruin the ebook business if they are not careful.

The length of this tread does bring to mind an old quote about beating a dead horse though. 

The main thing though is to take that deep breath and relax. This is not the only area the the consumer is drawing the short straw. (And I'm not talking about the problems with the nook when is mention a short straw. I have been very happy with mine.)

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Double post. Sorry

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

WarBrand wrote:

If you will take a *deep* breath and really look at the price problem, you will see that the problem started not with BN.

The book Thyan and the other poster were referring to, Her Fearful Symmetry, is for sale as an eBook at Amazon for $9.99, which is considerably less than B&N and other online eBooksellers.  QUIT BLAMING THE PUBLISHER.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

I try to place the blame where it belongs and as close to the source of the problem as I can. The current price increases started with Apple trying to hurt Amazon by trying (and seemingly succeeding) in changing the way ebooks are priced. The the publishers jumped on Amazon with strong handed tactics to force an immediate change in the prices and changing *who* controlled pricing. The publishers took control of the pricing from the sellers. Then the sellers caved in to the tactics. Look at the recent history of what has occurred. 

I don't know who to blame if not Apple and the publishers. Please look at the facts. The link below is one of many places that reported on what happened. You can find many others reporting the same thing by googling. (http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/31/amazon-caves-to-macmillans-ebook-pricing-demands/ )

What we are seeing now is the market reacting. Eventually all ebook pricing will be affected. During the mean time we will see spot price differences. No seller can exist for long if they are the only one that looses money because their price is out of line with the other sellers' prices.

The blame should be placed with the cause, not the symptom. 

(Deep breath, deep breath .... there.. that's better.)

naylorchic
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

WarBrand wrote:

If you will take a *deep* breath and really look at the price problem, you will see that the problem started not with BN.

The book Thyan and the other poster were referring to, Her Fearful Symmetry, is for sale as an eBook at Amazon for $9.99, which is considerably less than B&N and other online eBooksellers.  QUIT BLAMING THE PUBLISHER.

Amazon was previously $5.79 also because when I added it to my bn wishlist & looked at the price on amazon also. So it looks like they are going up as well. If amazon can sell it for $9.99 why can't bn? I get what some say about bn was never the cheapest place to buy books so don't expect that now. I agree that they weren't as cheap on books as amazon, walmart, target, etc. They weren't almost $8 more or double the price. They are on ebooks now. I think this would be a great time for them to start giving discounts on ebooks to members. I've never been a member, but would def consider it if they gave good discounts on ebooks. I will not stop buying ebooks, but I will only buy the ones w/ decent prices whether that's on bn or elsewhere. Even if I have to wait a while. I have plenty to keep me busy right now since I stocked up while prices were low.

Contributor
bleaker
0 Kudos

Re: new higher prices on eBooks!!

NoirMoon wrote:

I have been reading over the responses to the higher prices for a few days and I have been thinking about the situation and I have come to some conclusions.

I bought my nook because I am a book buyer, a book reader, and I simply just spend too much money on books and have too many books in my house.  I wanted to have an ereader with an open format (unlike the kindle), I wanted to save money on books (which I thought I would be doing since I wouldn't be buying new release hardbacks), and I wanted to stop filling my house with so many books.  I want to be clear on one major point:  I did not buy an ereader to fill it up with free eBooks that I have no desire to ever read. 

In many responses to the eBook pricing debacle, people suggest the option of the free eBooks on Barnes & Noble and other sites.  I looked at these free books at length.  I don't want to read these books.  I did not get an ereader to read books I read in high school English class, Harlequin romances, or other books that I am just simply not interested in. I got the nook to read books that I would have been reading in paper format, which I would have bought.  And now the eBook is more expensive than the paper format in many cases.  I am highly irritated by this.

Another suggestion has been to use Overdrive at the library.  I live in a small town.  Our library does not offer this service.  Also, I want to own books rather than borrow books. I do not want a time constraint when reading, and many other people do not either.  I did not get a nook as a library borrowing tool.  I am just not a library user.  I am a book buyer.  And I got an ereader partially to save some money on books. And now the prices have gone way up.  I am irritated by this.

So basically, I just want to vent my frustration and also say that the free eBooks are just not a good substitute for a solution to this problem. And neither is the library.

I have been an extremely loyal Barnes & Noble customer for many years and have spent thousands of dollars both in the stores and online.  I feel so hoodwinked and duped by this whole nook mess. I can't help but love my little gadget, but I am starting to seriously mistrust the company who made it.

Well put. I got a Nook for those same reasons and I also feel hoodwinked. Between DRM and fiat pricing eBooks are rapidly becoming less like luxuries and more like burdens. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Today Amazon shows Her Fearful Symmetry through the Kindle store for two prices - $11.99 and $17.00. 

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Today Amazon shows Her Fearful Symmetry through the Kindle store for two prices - $11.99 and $17.00. 

No.  It's $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Her-Fearful-Symmetry-Novel-ebook/dp/B002O0K6VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5X...

(strongly worded retort withheld)

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
naylorchic
0 Kudos

I just looked on amazon also. It's $9.99. Where are you looking on amazon that it's $11.99 & $17.00?

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Contributor
fooflex
0 Kudos

Re: ebook Prices - They Just don't get it !

They offer far less value, materially they are worthless. Once you buy it you can never resell it, you can barely let anyone borrow it, it's not a collector's item, it cannot decorate a bookshelf.

Granted the advantages of the ebook format in my opinion do win over(at least for me personally). With that said the ebook format costs the publisher virtually nothing, and reading them costs us a great deal of money a 250 dollar gadget, accesories, charges to your electric bill for charging, and I'm sure I'll end up buying a new one in the years to come as technology isn't designed to last long, so in the end they cost us much more money, and hold no resale value. so in order for this enterprise to remain positive for the readers they should keep the books cheap, we're saving the publisher the cost of printing the book, and distributing it, they can pass that savings on to us.

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

Re: ebook Prices - They Just don't get it !

I have shared several times that I am not that "savy" when it comes to computers stuff and really had no desire to bother with sideloading books from other sites.. I figured I would just buy from B&N, which WAS my favorite book store.. and all would just be fun.  However, with the recent price gorging, I decided it was time to learn a new skill--- sideloading.  I went to Baen Books and downloaded 4 books... and I have successfull sideloaded two of them to my nook... I don't know what I am doing wrong with the other two but I will eventually figure it out...

So, in a round about way, B&N did me a favor... Thanks, I think, B&N...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

No.  It's $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Her-Fearful-Symmetry-Novel-ebook/dp/B002O0K6VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5X...

(strongly worded retort withheld)

I appreciate you withholding the "strongly worded retort," as I was only posting what I found when I went onto amazon.com.  Even when I clicked your link I come up with Kindle Price:  $11.99.  Maybe because I don't have a sign-in?