Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Re: ebook prices

@MrNook - Thanks for the link.  I was trying to find it myself but couldn't - there is so much to wade through.  I will print it out and keep it by my computer for future reference. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

Re: ebook price increase--they've lost their minds

@Josienjoe, you're welcome.  This is one of the better end user support boards I've joined of late.  There are some good people here and sure, there are some "Trolls" floating about, but that's part of the nature of "crowds" on the Internet.

A bit of a surprise to me regarding this recent eBook price madness is that B&N's prices are so much higher than many other sites, at least from what as been anecdotally posted or shown in screen shot post as well as what I've seen myself.

Honestly, my first thought was that they had a database referential integrity problem on the foreign keys between the pricing tables and the product/item info.  Some of the eBooks I've already purchased have doubled in price and in at least one instance the product details of one of those books refers to the CD audio version of the book.  The current price is similar to what I recall was the price of the CD audio version when I first purchased the eBook.  This is can be seen on the iPhone version of the eReader software when looking at the book Virus of the Mind by Richard Brodie and also on the B&N web site for the digital version of the book.  It's nearly a 15 year old book and the overview I see about the book is for the CD audio version and not the book itself.  BTW...I just finished this book a couple of days ago and recommend to anyone interested in cognitive psychology.

Back to the subject of this thread...since it's now been well over a two weeks since this price hike has taken place and we're seeing similar sites having higher prices then it's definitely an issue with the publishers and has nothing to do with the B&N database catalog.  One reason I went with the nook was that I was expecting Barnes & Noble to be able to pressure the publishers, along with Amazon, to keep eBook prices reasonable and to aggregate a broad amount of content.

Reader
Dad-a-cham
0 Kudos

Re: ebook price increase--they've lost their minds

can't agree more.   i'll try buying a book from kobo and see how it works on the nook.  if the format is fine, then there ya go.  consumers do have the power and everytime we buy a book we are "voting" for what we are willing to pay.

New User
dtandrn
0 Kudos

Re: eBook Prices - They Just don't get it !

I agree totally this morning Lovely bones and dear john were $4.99 this evening dear john is over $8.00 I will not purchase any ebooks until the prices go down.  Amazon still has them at the cheaper price. Minus well go to the library and get them for free.

New User
jbearlyk
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

I bought 3 nooks on Monday, 1 for each of my daughters and 1 for myself and was going to get another for my mom for her birthday, I did alot of research before buying the nook, I compared e-book prices, which at the time found B&N and Amazon pretty much the same, new releases for $9.99, which was acceptable. I read reviews etc. but now I have decided to RETURN all 3 nooks. We will stick with paperbacks when released and pass them around. When I was researching Amazon and Barnes and Noble websites and visited B&N there was never any mention of a increase such as I found when I went to buy books tonight. Luckily I didn't open my Nook first. So tomorrow I will return all my Nooks and go back to reading paperback books, purchased at discounted prices from Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart , the Flea market, used book store etc....I will not pay these ridiculous prices for an e-book!!!!

Reader
slamajama
0 Kudos

My wife got me a nook last week for my birthday. Unfortunately, I opened it and now it will cost a 10% restocking fee if I return it. Here's my story: I heard Steve Forbes on a radio show and decided to check out his latest book. It's $18.57 for the nook version, which was actually higher than their online hard copy edition! And almost 2x the $9.99 price that Amazon was selling it for to go with its kindle. I thought maybe this might be an anomoly so I did a quick comparison using the NYT best seller list. I took the top 5 for both fiction and non-fiction. The price was the same on both sites for 5 of the books. But the other 5 had Amazon beating BN by an average of just over $5! People don't care why one is higher than the other - they are just going to go with the lower price (see Costco). BN/Nook is going to get killed unless they wake up to this fact. I mean, why even get into this market if you can not be price competitive? BN should get out one of their dictionaries and look up Due Diligence. People aren't stupid and the "word of mouth" advertising will be irreperable If BN doesn't "fix" their pricing issue immediately. The number of Nook returns should send the message.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

So I just noticed a few minutes ago that some of the books on my wishlist now have lower prices, specifically: 

Finger Licking Fifteen by Janet Evanovich  was 13.97 now is 9.99

Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah  was 14.99 now is 9.99

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris was 12.97 now is 10.80

I sure hope that the rest of the books that went up in price will start coming back down now as well.

Correspondent
Angela2932ND
0 Kudos

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is at $10.35 now! Down from around $14+ yesterday. It's a pre-order.

Frequent Contributor
Isanox
0 Kudos

What I want to know is "they' price the eBook against the most expensive paper version of the book and not the most recent.

For example, here is two books by A. Lee Martinez

The Automatic Detective

PB - 2/08list $14.95bn.com $12.78
MMPB - 2/09list $6.99bn.com $6.29
Ebook - 2/08list $14.00bn.com $10.00

Monster

HC - 5/09list $19.99bn.com $17.09
MMPB - 2/10list $7.99bn.com $7.19
Ebook - 5/09list $19.99bn.com $14.27

I can see how 'they' don't want to compete with the paper edition, so they are priced the same. But when the Mass-Market Paperback comes out, the ebook should reflect the lower price.

Can someone explain to me why they are not.
Contributor
bleaker

[ Edited ]

Isanox wrote:

I can see how 'they' don't want to compete with the paper edition, so they are priced the same. But when the Mass-Market Paperback comes out, the ebook should reflect the lower price.

Can someone explain to me why they are not.

Greed. If eBooks become too popular overall then the demand for hardcover books will go down. People will just wait for the eBook edition the way most of us wait for MMPB. By making the eBook more costly than the MMPB, they are effectively encouraging you not to buy the eBook. Again... I would like to thank Steve Jobs for his "innovative" new giant iPhone and its "innovative" new pricing scheme for eBooks.  Think Different... Think Un-affordable.

Inspired Correspondent
bobwa
0 Kudos

People have been writing to suggest that ebook price increases are the fault of publishers.  However, the fact that many ebooks can be found through other sources for less suggests to me that B&N is trying to use its market power to establish a higher price point for ebooks.  I believe they have raised prices hoping others will follow.  That strategy will succeed unless customers reward those whose prices are lowest with their business.  I now check addall.com for the lowest price before buying.  I not only don't presume that B&N will be competitive, I assume that they will not be. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

bobwa wrote:

People have been writing to suggest that ebook price increases are the fault of publishers.  However, the fact that many ebooks can be found through other sources for less suggests to me that B&N is trying to use its market power to establish a higher price point for ebooks.  I believe they have raised prices hoping others will follow.  That strategy will succeed unless customers reward those whose prices are lowest with their business.  I now check addall.com for the lowest price before buying.  I not only don't presume that B&N will be competitive, I assume that they will not be. 

I disagree.  All it means is that their contracts with the publishered are structured differently or not up for renewal yet.  B&N is just now seeking contracts on a lot of books/authors that they didn't previously carry as ebooks.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

It seems like SOME of the prices are coming back down. Not My Daughter was previously $9.99, yesterday was $12.97, now back to $9.99. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was previously $5.50, yesterday was $7.77, now back to $5.50. The Last Song & Dear John had both gone up yesterday, but are now back down to $4.99 & $4.39. Got my fingers crossed that they're working on the prices, but I suspect not all will go back down to the price they were before.

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

Winter Garden was on my wishlist but I had not checked it recently so thanks for posting that it has come down.  I went ahead and got it at the 9.99 price.

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

It is nice to see some prices coming back down. However a few of mine are still obscenely priced on my wish list:

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Series #1) Ebook is 18.19; mass market paperback is 7.99 

Twenties Girl (by Sophie Kinsella) Ebook is 19.31, paperback is 11.99

Sleeping Arrangements (by Madeline Wickham), paperback 11.16

Many other books of mine are still under the 10 dollar range, however they are still above the cost of the paperback. 

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

It makes me think this was a software glitch instead of something planned.  Maybe their database got corrupted.  Most of the issues seem to be discounting a set amount off the hardcover price, whereas before they were a similar percentage off the mass market price.  Although that is just speculation.  Hopefully they fix the remaining prices.  I'm not paying $17 for a book I can buy in paperback for half of that. 

naylorchic
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jason_Corner wrote:

It makes me think this was a software glitch instead of something planned.  Maybe their database got corrupted.  Most of the issues seem to be discounting a set amount off the hardcover price, whereas before they were a similar percentage off the mass market price.  Although that is just speculation.  Hopefully they fix the remaining prices.  I'm not paying $17 for a book I can buy in paperback for half of that. 

If that were the case you would think they would have posted something instead of letting us bash them like this. When I Am Ozzy disappeared in ebook format the mods jumped right on it to tell us it was a problem & it was being fixed. I would think they would have done the same thing if this were a glitch. I think it's (in part) due to the publishers.

Reader 2
Wiggy48
0 Kudos

DO NOT BUY EBOOKS FOR THE SONY EREADER, THEY WILL NOT WORK ON THE NOOK!

naylorchic
0 Kudos

Wiggy48 wrote:

I haven't bought any from sony's ebook store, but lots of people on this board have. It worked fine for them.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Wiggy48 wrote:

Got to love misinformation trolls.  New to the forums?  Don't believe this guy.