Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: ebook price increase--they've lost their minds

@MrNook, 

That works, too.  Thank you very much.

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Re: Wow, my eBook wish list just became a lot more expensive!

Alley415 ---Gosh, I guess I hadn't thought about the libraries not being able to purchase the ebooks ---but I see your point...I understand about the budgeting tho...I do not read Harlequins either.....just not my style....but I have downloaded several other free ebooks...I just figured if they are free, and I don't like them I haven't lost anything except the time it took me to 'buy for free'. 

And I still won't pay more than $9.99 for an ebook...I don't mind waiting till the price goes down, if in fact it ever does...as I didn't buy the hardbooks the day they came out either, I wait for the paperback. The library that I can borrow from does have a lot of ebooks that I want to read...so till the price comes down, hopefully I can find enough there to keep me busy reading.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Re: Wow, my eBook wish list just became a lot more expensive!

[ Edited ]

I use my favorite torrent site to get all the free ebooks I want :smileyhappy:

When the publishers and distributors abuse you, people will turn to torrents. 

Greed encourages piracy.

Argggh!

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
New User
Bmac68
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

If an ebook edition is more then I can get the Hardcover or Paperback for, then I will not buy it.  So they can raise the price all they want, my money will go to somone else.  Just because I have a nook does not mean I will always buy from B&N. 

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Another pricing beatdown for B&N:

MUST BE THE PUBLISHER'S FAULT!

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I have a Kindle and prices there have gone up because they caved into MacMillan Books increase in price. Apprently so did the nook. I just bought a nook for that reason and they have increased their prices too. By the way, I still have my Kindle.

maxcat

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
AJBurt
0 Kudos

I just bought my Nook yesterday, and I am pleased with the product, but the ebooks are a different story.  B&N is selling "The Automatic Detective" by A. Lee Martinez for $14.95 for the hardbound, $10.00 for the ebook, and $6.99 for the paperback.  Why would I pay $10 for a $7 book? Well, I wouldn't!  I will check the library to see if I can borrow it, and failing that I will wait for B&N and/or the publishing company to make a more reasonable decision on pricing before I float money their way.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Just talking about eBooks and prices for a second. Remember when CDs first came out. They promised the prices would come down? Well, after all this time they still cost a lot. 

With ebooks I think there is a different aspect to this. Books come in many forms from hardcover, trade paperback, paperback, textbooks, etc. So what we are seeing, I guess, is publishers setting prices to the level they want rather than to the least expensive form in which a book comes. So just because a book comes in paperback, they may have decided to price it like a trade paperback or a hardcover.

You can see I am blaming the publishers. Why? They are more than likely the cause. That said the retailers like B&N should do everything they can to get product to sell at the lowest price. 

But how should we price books? Well, the truth is that we all decide that because it is supply and demand. If every single person only bought ebooks that were $8 or less then soon they'd sell books at that price because otherwise they would never get sold. That is unlikely to happen. At the same time if we all buy books that cost as much as a hard cover, even when there are paperbacks out for less, then publishers and retailers will decide that is what the market can handle and price them as such.

Personally I'd like to see the highest price for new ebook at $9.99 and everything else under that unless it is a textbook or something that warrants the higher price. As such I vote for that by making sure that is how I shop. If the ebook price is too high I have no problem getting a normal printed book. 

I hope others shop in a similar way.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree to that $9.99 pricing. That's why I bought the kindle in the first part but now prices are getting hefty and I'm resorting to free ebooks and paperbacks aren't bad.

maxcat

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Reader 2
Photoadele
0 Kudos

i for one is extremely upset by this. how much more can can we afford to shell out? times are rough for most of us. having a nook or a kindle is a luxery that most enjoy to escape our worries and problems within a good book.

-deirdre

Frequent Contributor
aztec506
0 Kudos

I started another thread on the same subject a few days ago and got harassed by a regular contributor for misspelling a word and what he called an ignorant post.  No one agreed with him, but be aware he is on here somewhere.  So I stated a concise opinion, asked him to agree or disagree without slander and he wouldn't do it. A moderator finally told him to can it.

So my two bits worth:

I'm disappointed in the price increases as well.  I don't care who set the prices.  Ebooks should be half of the list of a hardcover $12-13.  No overhead, no storage, no shipping, no clerks having to stock shelves, you can't sell the book once you have read it and on and on.  Older books? To me $7-8 seems fair.

I picked up my library card today so I can borrow eBooks and I WILL NOT buy an eBook if it's over $12.  I will be shopping other sites also to compare before I buy.

To BN's credit, I had James Grippando's new book in my wish list - $17.54 or something like that.  It was released today and BN changed the price in my list to $11.99.  I bought it, that's fair to me.

Let me spell check in case the troll sees my post.

Frequent Contributor
Opa-MN
0 Kudos

I can't help but wade in on this.  I recently saw a paperback copy of Kyle Mills book Lords of Corruption at the local B&N.  I decided to add it to my eBook list.  I don't recall what it went on the list priced at, but recently it is listed for $20.01.  It is currently available for Kindle at $7.19 and B & N also has it listed as a bargain hard cover for $5.38.  Unbelievable.  I e-mailed Perseus Publishing and got a response telling me that it was B&N's mistake as the Kindle version was about $7.00.  For years I have bought the majority of my books at the bargain table at B&N.  I would have been happy to pay the $10.00 for a newly released book so I could read it when everyone else was, but I guess I will wait for the price to drop for the eBook or I will buy them on the bargain table again.  I did point out the pricing to the manager of the local store and he too was baffled.  I too will not pay more than $12.00 for an eBook.

I also deleted all of the books from my wish list that are priced over what I am willing to pay.  If B&N is watching the wish lists.........

Frequent Contributor
aztec506
0 Kudos

Opa,

Just a suggestion, you might leave the books on your wish list.  Sometimes the prices will go down, but I doubt very often.  I can understand your reason for deleting them though. 

David

Globaltech
0 Kudos

email b&n and tell them to go to hell with their new pricing.

Pricing Gouging deserves to be shunned and not endorsed like some corporate shills in these forums are willing to do.

Visit your favorite torrent site to get all you ebooks free!

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Scribe
03FLHT2

I may not agree with the pricing, but I will not condone STEALING and that is what your Suggesting and Telling us to do.  That tells me a lot of about yourself.  

I want buy a book for over 9.99 as I don't own it and and only can lend it once-- That is OVER board on their part.

Contributor
AJBurt
0 Kudos

I had a previous post about eBook pricing on "The Automatic Detective".   ($14.95 hardbound, $10.00 eBook, & $6.99 paperback).  I wondered why the eBook price was not lowered to $6.99 when the paperback came out, and that occurred about a year ago.  I dont think this has to do with the publishers, as Amazon is selling this book for Kindle at $6.99 currently.  I have seen many eBooks whose price matches the paperback price, so suspect it will eventually be lowered to $6.99.  I dont think that I'll buy it before then.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I've checked every book on my wishlist that is now over $10, and some that were under $10, against other sites and the dead-tree versions.  The only site that had an ebook version of any of these for less than B&N was Amazon.  All the new and pre-release ebooks (books w/out paperback versions) were about $1 less than the hardcover, even with my membership and free shipping on the hardcover.  For books with the paperback versions out, the ebook and paperbacks were priced very close, with the ebook usually a small amount cheaper.  The only books where the paperback was less were the anthologies, and again, Amazon matched the paperback price and everyone else matched or exceeded the B&N price.

I also did notice that one of the pre-release books was $2 more expensive a few days ago, which made it more than the hardcover, but as of last night it had settled at $17, $1 less than the hardcover.  So don't delete your wishlist - some of the prices are still changing.

Because currently all the sites except Amazon are selling at the same or a higher price than B&N, I'm starting to come to terms with the idea that this is what ebooks are going to cost for a while.  It's the publisher's fault, and if there was a way to stick it to them without hurting the authors I would do it.  The only question still in my mind is this - did B&N have this contract with the publishers all along, and just lower their prices temporarily, taking a loss on some books, so that they could match Amazon's prices and convince people to buy nooks?  If so, that's unforgivable to me.  I'd like to think they didn't, that they negotiated the lower prices and that the publishers came back and screwed them, but since B&N isn't saying anything publicly, I'm suspicious.  If it comes out they knew about this all along, I will jump ship, and not just for the ebooks.

Reader 2
jrho59
0 Kudos

Re: ebook prices

The sookie Stackhouse set is 31.96 at B&N.  While it is still more than Amazon, it is not that big of difference

jrho59

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Just purchased Wolf Hall for $9.99 from Sony ereader store.  BN wants $16.87.  Didn't think I would "jump ship".  Thought I would just wait until prices came down.  As a person who is not computer savvy was scared to death of trying to sideload thinking I'd mess it up (so much easier ordering from BN and having it show up in my library).  Had some trouble figuring out how to get it onto the Nook, but persistence paid off and it is sitting there waiting to read.  So, I now know that you "can teach an old dog new tricks".  I will no longer look longingly at books that I want that are more reasonably priced at other sources.  BN will get my business only for books that I feel are at a price I am willing to pay not forced to pay if available elsewhere.

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

@PA10, doing side loading is really quite easy and there are several posts describing recipes for doing this for Sony EPUB-formatted books so don't deprive yourself of a book you want to own now that you can buy for cheaper elsewhere.  Here is just one recipe for this and it is marked as "Solved!" on this board for Sony purchased eBooks.  I haven't tried this myself, but plan to once I've purchased any books from the Sony Store.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Anyone-tried-side-loading-a-Sony-ePub-book-...

I've also had good success in checking out EPUB books for a library and side loading to my nook.