Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

it literally happened around noon eastern time.  I was sitting in the airport, debating whether I wanted to cave and pay the extra $5 for GAME CHANGE or wait until I could get my computer and get it from Kobo.  One my ewish list it was $13.97, when I went to the NYT Bestseller list it was back at $8.61.

I'm guessing it was a glitch (or someone made a market decision they weren't allowed to make), I wish B&N was a little more responsive to their customers about these things, speculation just kills consumer confidence...

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

Starearedkid wrote:

It is nice to see some prices coming back down. However a few of mine are still obscenely priced on my wish list:

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Series #1) Ebook is 18.19; mass market paperback is 7.99 

FYI:  If you are looking to buy the first 3 stephanie plum books, you can get them bundled together at Kobo for 16.79 and then down to 14.29 if you use coupon code get250.  Sad that you can buy the first 3 books cheaper than BN is selling the first book.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

Smart buying is a part of any purchase.

Search Barnes and Noble's site for Kim Harrisions Dead Witch Walking. You'll find two versions, one is $8.99 which is kind of high in my opinion for the first of a seven book series published in 2004.

BUT if you look lower in the list you'll see it for $0.00 as a part of a ad sales program for the release of her newest  book that released the 23rd. The same book but it has an exerpt added from the new book.

Which one are you going to buy if you're a smart shopper???

So is this a deliberate attempt to mislead too or just competition doing it's thing in the marketplace?? Or is it a loss leader to attract attention to the author?

How about when it's removed at the end of the ad sales period???

Reader 4
Oliin
0 Kudos

You know, to be honest, I don't terribly mind some increase in price for freshly released books, that's fine, but some of these prices are just absurd.

City of Pearl (Wess'Har Series #1)  for instance is going for a good 2-3 dollars more than the paperback version, has been out for years and never had even a trade paperback format that I'm aware of.  Why?  Just why.

An Evil Guest  I can understand being slightly more expensive.  It's still available in hardback, but most stores don't carry that version, instead they carry the trade paperback version that's roughly $15.  It's just silly.

It's not just the ebook prices here though.  I'm seeing prices like that on the ebooks pretty much everywhere except for Amazon at the moment.  Heck, the B&N price was often cheaper than the list price at several other vendors (unless you were a member there) for the admittedly small sample size of books I checked.

So my understanding is that this pricing has more to do with the publishers than it does B&N, and that they want it to ensure the 'health' of the ebook market in the long run.  How exactly is spending more money on an ebook than a physical copy healthy?  It's actually significantly cut the amount I've been spending on the things.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Wiggy48 wrote:

DO NOT BUY EBOOKS FOR THE SONY EREADER, THEY WILL NOT WORK ON THE NOOK!

That's strange, I have two that I purchased there that do work with my nook.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Wiggy48 wrote:

DO NOT BUY EBOOKS FOR THE SONY EREADER, THEY WILL NOT WORK ON THE NOOK!

That's strange, I have two that I purchased there that do work with my nook.

Sony only recently made the change to epub.  If they purchased prior to the change, they were in the proprietary format and will not work. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Sony only recently made the change to epub.  If they purchased prior to the change, they were in the proprietary format and will not work. 

They just need to download them again, if they are currently in ePub format, they will download now as such.

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To All who have purchased Sony eBooks there are several "recipes" for getting the Sony EPUB-formatted books onto the nook.

Smedley offered the simplest and best recipe that I've seen.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Anyone-tried-side-loading-a-Sony-ePub-book-...

Though I cannot personally vouch for this since I have no Sony books in my library many others have.

I'm not sure that this will address older formats from Sony since I'm not sure there is a conversion that Sony has done for those books, but at least the EPUB formatted books have been addressed.

I've also had no problem with EPUB books via Overdrive with several libraries.

NOTE: I believe that I provided this link in an earlier post in this thread.

Frequent Contributor
crazyakchick
0 Kudos

what's happening to $9.99?!?!?!

i'm noticing a disturbing trend - new books are more and more frequently a few dollars more than the $9.99 used to suck us in.  i just recently found an ebook that was over $14, and i'm not talking about a big book.  i'll be really upset if the prices continue to rise - one of the benefits of the nook was less expensive books.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: what's happening to $9.99?!?!?!

You might try these posts found with the search function:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=nook+agency+model

There are a multitude of threads on this.  Just to be clear, you must realize the "less expensive" benefit was a perceived one, not a stated one by B&N.

Frequent Contributor
crazyakchick
0 Kudos

perception or no, most of the books i was looking at in december were $9.99, and most of the books i look at now are a couple to several dollars more than that. 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

crazyakchick wrote:

perception or no, most of the books i was looking at in december were $9.99, and most of the books i look at now are a couple to several dollars more than that. 

Several of mine jumped from $9.99 to $12.99 too,   I believe this is due to this wonderful new thing called the 'agency model' that went into effect.   I notice also several books on my wishlist can now be purchased in paperback form for less than the ebook.  

Linda

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

well I'd rather read abook on the nook for a few dollars more than a paperback than read a paperback itself....your still save money on the hardbacks...you going to have to get use to this pricing as its here to stay,

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

As FrogAlum noted, there are tons of threads on the subject, but let me summarize for you.

Apple's iBookstore for the iPad opens today, April 3. Apple went to the publishers and told them that iBookstore wouldn't carry any e-books that anybody else sold for less in the US. Five of the 'Big 6' publishing conglomerates worked deals with Apple where the publishers are dictating the pricing on e-books from all of their dealers as of April 1 (or April 3 in some cases).

Amazon, Apple, B&N, Sony, Kobo, and all of the rest will have exactly the same prices on e-books from those publishers. They're not allowed to give any kind of discounting, coupons, rebates, or anything else. The publishers are giving the e-bookstores a 'take it or leave it' deal: sell the e-book at the full publisher's price or don't sell it at all.

Right now, some e-bookstores haven't finished the paperwork and programming work to make the changeover. You won't find those e-books listed at all at Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard, for example. With luck, they'll have them, at the Required Ebook Pricing, early next week.

Amazon is adding notations to those e-books that say that the price is set by the publisher, not by Amazon.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Here's how I'm buying ebooks.  I look at the book, decide if I want it enough to buy the HB or pay the higher ebook price.  If I do, I buy whatever format I decide on.  (Note:  This only pertains to a few (less than 5) authors.  If I don't I put it in wishlist and check back periodically to see if the paperback has been released or the ebook price has been reduced.  (Publishers have said ebook prices will go down the longer the book has been released, but we'll see about that).

That's pretty much how I handled buying books before the Nook and I don't see any change.  I pay the higher price (HB or ebook) or I wait.  Yes, it was great when the prices were $9.99, but even that price was above the limit I would set for some books.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I had wanted to get a couple of Ayn Rand books, Atlas Shrugged and Fountain Head and they want 27 dollars for the eBooks that's   Insane

Contributor
jon-the-elder
0 Kudos

Come on folks.....go to manybooks.com or the 'gutenberg project' there are thousands of FREE books to download and read.

"As in music, so in life"
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

I had wanted to get a couple of Ayn Rand books, Atlas Shrugged and Fountain Head and they want 27 dollars for the eBooks that's   Insane

This would be a good entry in the omnibus publisher fail thread.

You can buy a nice boxed set of the two books from Amazon for $12 and some change - and they want $50+ to buy the same two books as eBooks?  To say that is "insane" is being kind.

Ayn Rand Boxed Set

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
Saneless
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

27 bucks for Atlas Shrugged? Holy crap.. glad I bought it for 7 a couple months ago.

This is out of hand.  That book is 10 bucks in paperback and like 50 years old.

Theyre going to wonder why piracy has increased so much starting Feb 2010

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

sub_rosa wrote:

03FLHT2 wrote:

This would be a good entry in the omnibus publisher fail thread.

You can buy a nice boxed set of the two books from Amazon for $12 and some change - and they want $50+ to buy the same two books as eBooks?  To say that is "insane" is being kind.

Ayn Rand Boxed Set

Just view the exorbitant price as a lesson in the author's own philosophy.  If anyone would appreciate naked capitalistic greed, it's Rand.