Reply
Inspired Contributor
Naosnote
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎11-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices - Thanks someone for lowering cost of "God of Hive"

Well, it sounds like the authors and publishers need to hear our voices directly - because evidently B&N, Kindle and others aren't getting far. We'll see...

Reader
iluvjcksparrw
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

im so upset that they have made ebooks more expensive than regular paperbacks!! last time i checked paperbacks are 7 dollars or sometimes even less.. I would think since books start off on a computer before being printed that ebooks would be much cheaper than any book out in stores. I got my nook because i read 3 to 4 books a week and now i have had to go back to reading regular paperback or hardcover books because i refuse to buy a book at 12 or 16 dollars that i can find at 5 dollars at the store.. BN waited for everyone to fall in love with the nook and buy it before they started raising the prices on all books. it makes me wish i would have not got the nook and just stuck to regular books. =(.. i am very disappointed in BN...

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,516
Kudos: 4,005
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Ebook Prices

iluvjcksparrw wrote:

BN waited for everyone to fall in love with the nook and buy it before they started raising the prices on all books. it makes me wish i would have not got the nook and just stuck to regular books. =(.. i am very disappointed in BN...

 

Go back and read the rest of this thread. It wasn't B&N.

 

Apple went to the publishers and said, "When we introduce the iPad we won't sell any e-books that anyone sells for less than we do." Five of the 'Big 6' publishing houses said "Okay" and instituted what they've called 'Agency Model' pricing at the beginning of April when the iPad was introduced.

 

Those five publishers raised the prices, and the e-book sellers don't have any choices. If they sell for less than what those publishers say, the publishers will cut them off.

 

If you want to blame someone, blame Apple.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,801
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Ebook Prices

I understand everyone's frustration about the prices, they frustrate me also. But many folks only think about the cost of producing the book whether in HC, paperback or ebook form as the basis for the pricing of the book.


But isn't the primary value of the book the content of the book, rather than the format?    Do you buy a book in paper format regardless of the story/author simply because it is a HC book?  Is that the main factor in your decision making?  I purchase a book to read, and regardless of the format, if it's not something I want to read, I'm not going to buy it.  If it is something I want to read, then I will decided if it is worth the price of the HC or can I want for the paperback. (In the pre-nook days)

 

It just seems as though folks are placing more value on the format of the book rather than the content.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

bklvr896 wrote:

I understand everyone's frustration about the prices, they frustrate me also. But many folks only think about the cost of producing the book whether in HC, paperback or ebook form as the basis for the pricing of the book.


But isn't the primary value of the book the content of the book, rather than the format?    Do you buy a book in paper format regardless of the story/author simply because it is a HC book?  Is that the main factor in your decision making?  I purchase a book to read, and regardless of the format, if it's not something I want to read, I'm not going to buy it.  If it is something I want to read, then I will decided if it is worth the price of the HC or can I want for the paperback. (In the pre-nook days)

 

It just seems as though folks are placing more value on the format of the book rather than the content.

 

 

YES, this is exactly what I keep thinking!

 

After all, what is the difference between a painting of Elvis on black velvet and a Monet?  They are both paintings after all!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,801
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Ebook Prices

 

FrogAlum wrote:

 

YES, this is exactly what I keep thinking!

 

After all, what is the difference between a painting of Elvis on black velvet and a Monet?  They are both paintings after all!

 

 

It's not that I don't think some or quite a few ebooks are ridiculously priced, I do.  It's just that the focus seems to be on the format rather than the content.  I mean, there are some books I'd read if it was a bunch of papers stapled together and other books, I don't care how beautifully they are published, I'd never buy.  As you said, a black velvet Elvis paint and a Monet are, in the end both paintings. 

 

I wonder what a Monet on black velvet would be worth?:smileyvery-happy:

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009

Re: Ebook Prices

[ Edited ]

 

FrogAlum wrote:

 

 

YES, this is exactly what I keep thinking!

 

After all, what is the difference between a painting of Elvis on black velvet and a Monet?  They are both paintings after all!

 

 

Would you pay the same price for a print of a Monet as you would for an original?  Would you pay the same price for a digital copy of a Monet to use as wallpaper on your computer as you would for a print? 

 

Under your logic a Yugo should cost the same as a Mercedes.  After all, they're both just cars.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,801
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

Ed_Mart wrote:

 

FrogAlum wrote:

 

 

YES, this is exactly what I keep thinking!

 

After all, what is the difference between a painting of Elvis on black velvet and a Monet?  They are both paintings after all!

 

 

Would you pay the same price for a print of a Monet as you would for an original?  Would you pay the same price for a digital copy of a Monet to use as wallpaper on your computer as you would for a print? 

 

 

 

Obviously not.  But I'd pay more for print of a Monet that a print of Elvis on Black Velvet.:smileyvery-happy:

 

The point is, is the major value of the book, the content or the format?  People seem to be completely ignoring the content side, similar to the what happened in the music industry. If I'm not getting a CD, something I can hold in my hand, then it should be of significantly less value.  It's the concept that because it is not something I can physically touch, it has less value.

 

I'm not saying I agree with all the pricing, but I also don't agree with the concept that the eBook should always be $9.99 or less or that it should be "significantly" lower that paperback.  It should be lower that the lowest priced physical book, because costs to produce and distribute the book do and should factor in, but how much should they factor it?  The content is the same, regardless of the format, and I'm buying the content.  I buying it to read, not to look at.

 

Where the problem currently lies is that there is much more competition for the sales of DTBs, I can buy them just about anywhere and the stores are allowed to discount them as they see fit.  There are less sources for eBooks and currently, the sellers aren't allowed to discount the majority of the books.  

 

The sellers, B&N, etc, need to get more creative for selling eBooks.  Sony's discounted gift cards at Target seems to be the perfect way to be able to discount eBooks.  Have promotions ever so often, for discounted eBook gift cards.  To me, it sounds like a win-win situation for B&N.  Because, if they read these forums, they know that a lot of folks when out at bought hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards.  B&N gets my money up front and makes me happy because I can buy the eBooks at a discount.

 

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

Ed_Mart wrote:

 

FrogAlum wrote:

 

 

YES, this is exactly what I keep thinking!

 

After all, what is the difference between a painting of Elvis on black velvet and a Monet?  They are both paintings after all!

 

 

Would you pay the same price for a print of a Monet as you would for an original?  Would you pay the same price for a digital copy of a Monet to use as wallpaper on your computer as you would for a print? 

 

Under your logic a Yugo should cost the same as a Mercedes.  After all, they're both just cars.

 

 

You missed the point, I was agreeing with bklvr, lumping all eBooks to together and the whole conversation being about how much it costs to publish it, is just wrong.  Books, like paintings, are about content and what the purchaser values that content at.

 

I'd take the Mercedes on velvet over the Yugo though!  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

FrogAlum wrote:

 

 

You missed the point, I was agreeing with bklvr, lumping all eBooks to together and the whole conversation being about how much it costs to publish it, is just wrong.  Books, like paintings, are about content and what the purchaser values that content at.

 

I'd take the Mercedes on velvet over the Yugo though!  :smileywink:

 

You're right, I did miss your point. :smileysad:

 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,801
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

FrogAlum wrote:

LOL  No problem Ed, just send over a Mercedes on Velvet and we'll call it even.  :smileywink:

 

 

Couldn't find a Mercedes on black velvet.  How about one with a black satin paint job?

 

Black Satin Mercedes

 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
Posts: 623
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

Digital books have more restrictions and no resale value,  that also factors into my decision of how much I'm willing to pay, along with content.


Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

Ed_Mart wrote:

 

FrogAlum wrote:

LOL  No problem Ed, just send over a Mercedes on Velvet and we'll call it even.  :smileywink:

 

 

Couldn't find a Mercedes on black velvet.  How about one with a black satin paint job?

 

Black Satin Mercedes

 

 

LOL  I'll take it!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

I think the concern here, at least my concern here, is that I can get the SAME CONTENT, but I have to pay more for the screensaver of the Mercedes than I would pay for the real thing.  That's an issue.

 

Why should I pay $11 for a digital copy of the same text that's included in a $8 paperback?  Especially when the HC is only 25 cents more than the ebook?  Should I do it because Penguin says so?  I think not.  

 

I've yet to see a publisher lower their ebook price when the paperback comes out.  I don't read a lot of macmillian, it seems, as none that I've checked have been macmillian, but none of the others are lowering.  Library, here I come.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 

keriflur wrote:

I think the concern here, at least my concern here, is that I can get the SAME CONTENT, but I have to pay more for the screensaver of the Mercedes than I would pay for the real thing.  That's an issue.

 

Why should I pay $11 for a digital copy of the same text that's included in a $8 paperback?  Especially when the HC is only 25 cents more than the ebook?  Should I do it because Penguin says so?  I think not.  

 

I've yet to see a publisher lower their ebook price when the paperback comes out.  I don't read a lot of macmillian, it seems, as none that I've checked have been macmillian, but none of the others are lowering.  Library, here I come.

 

 

The whole idea of the eBook being more expensive than the lowest price book currently available for sale is crazy, I think we all agree on that.

 

I now belong to 3 libraries for just that reason.

 

 

New User
pedrosnena
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

You can use any ebooks on your nook and I myself am very disappointed in the pricing, but i have written to them. You can go to other sites and research though. I have seen the same prices for many other ebooks at other places like amazon too, so it is not just B&N.  Also, I have done a lot of research on the platforms of most of the ebooks out there and the nook is actually better than th Kindle and definitely better than the Sony reader. Go online and see if you can get different prices for the same books. It's not just B&N I can assure you.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎06-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

 


bklvr896 wrote:

 

I'm not saying I agree with all the pricing, but I also don't agree with the concept that the eBook should always be $9.99 or less or that it should be "significantly" lower that paperback.  It should be lower that the lowest priced physical book, because costs to produce and distribute the book do and should factor in, but how much should they factor it?  The content is the same, regardless of the format, and I'm buying the content.  I buying it to read, not to look at.

 

 


What totally irks me is if the eBook is MORE EXPENSIVE than the paperback.  I just purchased "The Color of Magic" on my Nook for $9.99.  The paperback has a LIST PRICE of $7.99, and is on sale for $7.19.
I love my Nook,  but, in this case, I feel like I got ripped off.

 

 

Correspondent
Alanakat
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎07-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

I'm confused. I saw an e-book price that costs more than the book in mass market paper back. Why would that be?