Contributor
rplex

Ebook Prices

I looked at an Ebook earlier this evening, and it was 9.99. I just went to purchase it (a few hours later) and it's now $16.00. Did something happen with the ebook pricing?? I thought most ebooks were supposed to be 9.99 and under..

Contributor
Bookmark_71
0 Kudos

Re: Ebook Prices

I noticed the same thing.  Books I added to my wish list yesterday for $9.99 are now $16. The prices are going way up as we speak.  I will return my Nook if they keep raising prices for OLD books that have long been in paperback (over a decade) to $9.00 MORE than the paperback price.  Why is Stephen King's "The Shining" almost $23 and "Salem's Lot" $28?

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword

Yes, prices went up today.  I am irritated because I have a gift card and had planned to spend it tonight, and the books I'd planned to buy increased significantly.  I put a book on my wish list at B & N this afternoon and its price has more than tripled since then--to a price higher than the hardback copy I saw in the store.  Several books on my wish list have raised to prices higher than the softcovers.  Very disappointing.  I knew prices were going to raise, so I'm annoyed at myself for waiting to purchase the books I wanted.  Now I will wait until they appear at my local library. 

Contributor
rplex

same here! a bunch of books I added yesterday to my wish list have also doubled in price. I checked Amazon, and they are all still available for 9.99. This is ridiculous. I'm disappointed in BN.

Frequent Contributor
ReadingBum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I officially regret buying a Nook...  One of the ebook I was planning to buy now cost more than the hardcover.  It sucks I spent so much money on buying a Nook for my brother and I, then they raise the prices immediately after I get them.  I think I'm going to make it my mission to stop people from purchasing the Nook.

I hope ebooks from the sony ereader store works on my nook.  because I'll be buying from there if they do.  I don't think I'll be purchasing much of anything from B&N. 

New User
Janet316
0 Kudos

Have only had my nook a few days and will probably return it.  Prices for books I want are $16 through B&N, $9 on Amazon for Kindle.  What's going on??

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook

Well, I absolutely DO NOT regret buying my Nook...I love it....and never would consider 'returning it' - but I will not be buying ebooks at the higher prices....I too noticed that price increased on several ebooks I had looked at just a few hours before, so they can keep them until they are back within my price range, I'll just be getting my ebooks from the library...or do some sideloading from other places with lower costs.  And will keep a sharp eye out for any 'free' offers...

I have been borrowing paper books from our local library for many years....and have waited my turn to check them out...I'll just do the same thing with ebooks.  As long as you have your name down on the 'wait' list...just like with paper books...eventually I will be able to read whatever they have to offer....or, I'll buy the hardbacks...doesn't bother me to just keep my money and my nook.  And, I'm sure that Barnes and Noble are not the only ones raising prices, so if you get rid of your Nook to buy another ereader for that reason, it doesn't make sense.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I noticed prices going up on my ebook wish list as well.  Annoying? yes.  Suprising? no.  This has been the #1 topic of conversation about ebooks in the last few weeks, given the MacMillan/Amazon fight over moving to the agency model, where publishers get to set the price of ebooks.  Amazon will be raising their prices as well, as they've also agreed to the agency model going forward.

But then again, 3 out of the last 4 books I've read?  I have, completely legally, not paid a single, solitary dime for.  Because I have a library card (and I happen to have a library system that has a robust ebook library).  So I look at the price I need to pay for books that I can't get from the library (or books that I don't want to take the time to wait on the wait list for) as being amortized over the cost of all books that I read.  

Frequent Contributor
BBBoutique
0 Kudos

I noticed this as well.  I just called CS and complained.  A lot of good it will do, I'm sure.  But I asked, Did the publishers/authors call you overnight and ask you to increase the prices of ebooks or did you make this decision on your own? The answer:  Probably a little bit of both.  What a load of crap! They say they were running some sales and now the sales have ended.

They waited until we all got our nooks and got hooked, and now they are increasing prices on us.  I love my nook, but I will not pay $14-15 for an electronic book when I can buy a hardback for $17 and share it with family members as many times as I want to...and decorate with it on my bookcase.  I know for a fact that these same books have not been increased on Amazon.com!  They are still 9.99 there.

If you have any low-priced books you've had your eye on, you may want to grab them while you can.

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Yeah, I noticed too.  I should have ordered the 8 books in my wish list that I wanted yesterday.  Oh well, I guess I'll wait to see if the price goes back down.  Not very happy right now :smileysad:  But, as they say "he (or she) who hesitates is lost".  That said, at least I got the free book yesterday - Flawless.

Inspired Correspondent
bobwa
0 Kudos

Sue Grafton's "U is for Undertow" is now $13.97 at B&N and still $9.99 at Amazon. It is difficult to calculate how much B&N's credibility has been undermined by this whole nook roll-out. The absence of communication with customers about nook issues and now book pricing has soured me. If I remember correctly, B&N promised to match Amazon's prices and to rapidly increase the number of titles available in ebook format at those prices. Those promises have not been kept. Since receiving my nook I have bought more books -- and books that I would not have bought at a higher price. With higher prices, I will buy fewer books and will return to waiting for the paperback and buying used. What angers me most is the total absence of communication from B&N. Although I dislike that the Kindle is a closed system, and I think the nook is a more elegant ereader, I find Amazon to be far superior in terms of customer service. In the future, I will be slow to patronize B&N and will look for other vendors that I can respect and trust.
Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Count me in as another disappointed Nook owner. I've had my Nook for an entire week now. I chose nook over kindle because they had brought their prices down to the range of Amazon. And now this:smileysad: I was starting to have so much faith in B&N. I still love my Nook and reading books on my Nook but I will be looking for alternative sources for book purchases. Maybe it is a good thing and I'll stop the book buying spree I was on and I'll finish some of those dead tree books I have lying around.

Part of me is hoping that they are raising the prices and will then bring them back down to Amazon prices for B&N members. Would finally make my membership worth something again. I might even reconsider renewing when it comes due.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That just stinks if they are playing around with the prices.  I noticed that there is no rhyme or reason whether the book is 10% - 50%.

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

Bookmark_71 wrote:

I noticed the same thing.  Books I added to my wish list yesterday for $9.99 are now $16. The prices are going way up as we speak.  I will return my Nook if they keep raising prices for OLD books that have long been in paperback (over a decade) to $9.00 MORE than the paperback price.  Why is Stephen King's "The Shining" almost $23 and "Salem's Lot" $28?

This is ridiculous!!!! There is no reason those books should cost that much, I love how they say LIst Price is 35.00 and e-book price is $28.00 so you're saving %20, give me a break! :smileymad:

Contributor
MMac_518
0 Kudos

This is nuts!  I went browsing through the ebooks to see what all had gone up.  One of the books I came across had the hardcover for $15 and the listed price by the ebook was like $28 and I could buy the ebook for $13...  I did find this article while looking around online.  It was written on the 10th, but I just came across it.  I guess I'll be checking my books out for a while now.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/technology/11reader.html  I just don't see the point in paying more for an ebook than a paperback.  :smileyindifferent:

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

What really irks me is that this is B&N pricing going up to ridiculous amounts!!! They need to tell us what the hay is going on!!! I will exclusively use the library and free books until these prices go down, and if they don't well then I'll move on to the next e-reader and leave B&N in the dust like they did me!

Frequent Contributor
ReadingBum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MacMillan claims these higher prices are fair.  I don't get how making these books more expensive than paper back is fair.  I'd imagine it's much cheaper to bring out an ebook than it is to bring out a bunch of paper back books.  So why am I paying more for my ebooks? in some cases It's cheaper to get the hardcover.

go look a the price of the book, The City & The City

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-City-and-the-City/China-Mieville/e/9780345497512/?itm=1&bnit=H&...

look at the price of the hardcover and the price of the ebook.  To make matters worse I can go to amazon.com and get the hardcover for even cheaper.

Reader 2
MamaJuju
0 Kudos

My husband and I both got Nooks for each other for Christmas.  I know that we won't be buying Ebooks at these higher prices.  I'm just going to keep looking for interesting free Ebooks and checking out authors I might not have otherwise.  Our library also offers Overdrive so we'll be looking into that, too.  I really love my Nook, but it's disappointing that they've kind of pulled the rug out from under us with raising Ebook prices, and the great lack of information coming from BN about that happening and why.

Frequent Contributor
ReadingBum

MamaJuju wrote:

My husband and I both got Nooks for each other for Christmas.  I know that we won't be buying Ebooks at these higher prices.  I'm just going to keep looking for interesting free Ebooks and checking out authors I might not have otherwise.  Our library also offers Overdrive so we'll be looking into that, too.  I really love my Nook, but it's disappointing that they've kind of pulled the rug out from under us with raising Ebook prices, and the great lack of information coming from BN about that happening and why.

May I suggest you checkout http://ebookstore.sony.com/ and http://www.kobobooks.com/.  I'll be supporting cheaper prices on ebooks, and I hope the rest of you do as well.  Then hopefully the publishers get the message

Contributor
jaydeyez
0 Kudos

I found the same problem.  It really is unfortunate considering one of the major beenfits of having an ereader is not having to wait for the paperback to come out.  Now the ebook is more than the paperback will be, so it makes no sense to NOT wait for the paperback to come out once again.

THe high cost of hardcovers is due to the materials and cost of making the product.  What cost is oncluded in making an ebook?  Using the Copier?  I know it is more detailed than that, but really???  I think after paying $260 dollars for the device to read the books, the books should at least be $9.99 and below.