Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

Ebooks that were available to purchase and now they are not...

I have a massive ebook wish list, and I noticed that over time a few of them that WERE on there--now say that they are not available for purchase at this time. I was wondering if there was any explanation for that. 

The three that I am questioning are:

No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark (Publisher: Simon and Schuster)

Deck the Halls by Mary Higgins Clark (Publisher: Simon and Schuster)

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Book One by Ann Brashares (Publisher: Random House)

What doesn't make sense is both of those authors have all of their other books up on B&N, so I was wondering about those three particular books. Serves me right for waiting to long to get them. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Ebooks that were available to purchase and now they are not...

I didn't check all of them, but the system let me add the first one to my cart with no problem.

Then it prompted me with all the Higgins Clark books, all on a Short Term special.

Maybe you just caught the system at a point in time when they were putting these on special or something, but I had no problem trying to buy the first one.

Reader
RevSS
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I didn't check all of them, but the system let me add the first one to my cart with no problem.

Then it prompted me with all the Higgins Clark books, all on a Short Term special.

Maybe you just caught the system at a point in time when they were putting these on special or something, but I had no problem trying to buy the first one.

Are you sure you pulled up an eBook, because when I searched that same book in the eBook category, it pulls up a list of results - the topmost one being the mass market paperback, and if you look at the top of the screen, it says

You Searched eBooks for: no place like home clark

Showing results in All Products categories. There were no results in eBooks.

Apparently, they've changed the way the site handles search requests because when I had previously searched specifically for eBooks, it would just say something like there were no results found, and it wouldn't list the alternative formats.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

DOH!  

You are so right.    

Boy what a sucker page that is.  Since I searched Ebooks why does it show me Paper!!  

Tried to buy a Suit, came out wearing a Dress.

I wonder how many other of these "Can't Download my book" posts have fallen for the same thing.

:smileysurprised:

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

I have found many of the ebook venders are so obscure that  I can't believe people tolerate them.

Here's an example, if you go to Fictionwise's main page it shows Rachel Caine's Unknown on sale with a 100% micropay rebate.

Click on buy, you get taken to your cart and nothing is in it. (Although it sure remembers to ask you if you need more micro credits which I'd have MORE than enough of if it'd just taken my freaking order)

Click on the more information link and in the upper right hand corner it says "NO LONGER ON SALE".

Well if it's no longer on sale why is it still listed on the main page, why not strike it out?? Or if you click on the Buy It link how about telling you WHY it's not been added to your cart???

Grrr!!!!!

Thanks for the chance to vent!!! :-)

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

When I first got my Nook, I put a book, Eiffel's Tower by Jill Jonnes, on my ebooks wish list--I found the book in the B&N recommends category on my Nook, downloaded a sample of it, and intended to purchase it later.  One day I glanced at my ebooks wish list, again, ON my Nook, and it read no longer available for purchase.  The book is available at B&N in hard and softcover, and I know it was available in ebook form, because I read the sample.  I thought maybe it was an ebook that had some errors and keep checking to see if it becomes available again--I'd still like to read it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If you see it, and can afford it, just buy it, even if you don't plan to read it immediately. 

Baring some sort of sale, prices are only going to go UP.  

The publishers and authors are sort of in an uproar about ebooks right now with some

authors withdrawing ebook rights and publishers playing hardball with booksellers.

Recheck everything you have on your ebook wishlist and snap it up if you think you

will ever read it.  Consider it an investment. Prices aren't going down any time soon.

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

If you see it, and can afford it, just buy it, even if you don't plan to read it immediately. 

Baring some sort of sale, prices are only going to go UP.  

The publishers and authors are sort of in an uproar about ebooks right now with some

authors withdrawing ebook rights and publishers playing hardball with booksellers.

Recheck everything you have on your ebook wishlist and snap it up if you think you

will ever read it.  Consider it an investment. Prices aren't going down any time soon.

Yes! this is what I do because certain books will be there one day and then BAM! They are gone. So now I keep an eye on my wish list and when a book finally shows up as a digital option, I buy it on the spot and put it on my nook immediately. I've noticed that when I go back and look for some of those books days later, they are often gone... what is up with that???? Here today, gone tomorrow. Or in some cases, gone today, here tomorrow, gone next week.

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

I am trying to limit myself to 2-3 new books a week. Unfortunately my wishlist is 130+, so it isn't feasible for me to buy all of the ones I want right at this very moment.

I do have them prioritized, however...