Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Fictionwise Black Friday Discount Code

Enter "blackfriday2010" when checking out. Samhain titles are excluded as usual.

If you use it today, does this make it Gray Thursday or something?...

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise Black Friday Discount Code

But this doesn't work for ebooks, right?

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

That's all Fictionwise. sells (plus some non-DRM MP3 audiobooks). If you buy the books in ePub or ereader (PDB) format, they can be sideloaded onto the Nook. They are owned by B&N but separate from B&N.

They don't have the discounts on secure titles that they used to have. :smileysad: But there are lots of great authors available through the Multiformat Ebooks section.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.fictionwise.com/

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Oh!  I apparently didn't notice the Fictionwise name in the title, and I had just gotten a Black Friday email from B&N, so I thought that was the code you were referring to.  Oops!  Thanks!

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Maybe I should have mentioned the company name in the message, too. :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

How much off the price does the discount code give?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

50% off.

Contributor
Justqltin
0 Kudos

50%  WOW!

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I've never purchased from Fictionwise before, but it looks to me like the prices are inflated to begin with.  For instance a book I'm thinking about buying is $8.79 everywhere else but $15.00 at fictionwise, so that 50% isn't much of a savings. 

And why are Samhain books excluded?  I'm reading a Samhain title right now that is currently free at BN.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Fictionwise used to be a better deal, but they never recovered from the Agency Pricing mess. However, if you look at the multiformat section, you can still find good deals on books that aren't available elsewhere. Many of the multiformat books are smaller e-publishers, but nowadays, more and more of the titles come from companies like e-reads (which publishes e-book editions of out-of-print books) or from smallish print publishers like Circlet Press, Wildside Press, Belgrave House, Dragon Moon Press, and Prime Books. Also, while B&N now has some of the SF print magazines, as far as I know, only Fictionwise has issues of Interzone and the Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy (many readers think it's better than Analog and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction magazine).

As far as the Samhain thing goes, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Samhain signed one of those deals where their prices can't be lower than they are on Amazon or something like that. Thus they have to require that their books be "opted out" of any special discounts.

BTW if you like Marion Zimmer Bradley (as well as Mercedes Lackey and other similar authors), FictionWise has a lot of e-books recently issued by the Marion Zimmer Bradley Literary Trust, including Sword and Sorceress anthologies:

https://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks/p691/Marion-Zimmer-Bradley-Literary-Works-Trust/?

Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

I have to say I have been very loyal with B&N so far and have only gotten books from their website.  I finally took the leap and purchased my first books from Fictionwise.  They were only available in the Secure eReader format and after I sideload them to my NOOK and started reading I notice that there are no page numbers showing.  I have to say that is rather annoying and am hoping it is something I did wrong and can be fixed.  Otherwise, I don't think I read sideloaded books if you can't tell where you are in the book.  Is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: eReader-format page numbering

[ Edited ]

modaddy wrote:

They were only available in the Secure eReader format and after I sideload them to my NOOK and started reading I notice that there are no page numbers showing.

Is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it?

It's normal for eReader PDB format. Be patient, and the page numbers will show up. For eReader format, NOOK figures each screen as a page. It has to run through the e-book and figure out how each page will lay out at your current font style and size before it knows how many pages there are. It can take a number of minutes.

Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

Re: eReader-format page numbering

Doug, thank you so much for the reply.  After I read your information I did notice that the "go to page #", it is greyed out and says "pagination in progess".  What a relief!  Now since I'm a pro at sideloading (ha-ha) I have a whole new world opened to me.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Critteranne wrote:

Enter "blackfriday2010" when checking out. Samhain titles are excluded as usual.

Thanks for posting this, Critteranne!  I picked up some books that had been on my wishlist for a while.

New User
Mariewi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi
I put some of my wishlist in but
I keep getting this message when I put the code in,
Code "blackfriday2012" does not exist, is expired, or is not valid
can you help please.
Mariewi

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mariewi wrote:

I keep getting this message when I put the code in,
Code "blackfriday2012" does not exist, is expired, or is not valid

Mariewi

I'm not sure what about this thread made you think that "blackfriday2012" was a valid code.

Two years ago "blackfriday2010" worked.  That doesn't automatically mean that every year they will offer the same deal.  Especially given that they are closing their doors soon.

Everything is working as intended.  If there's a sale, this isn't the correct code.