Contributor
dafaolta
0 Kudos

Re: Sigh. Still no code received from Barnes & Noble for my...

This whole mess is part of why I've begun to wonder if BN's website wasn't built by someone who hates them. I've always had issues with it when I search door stuff because it wants the *exact* term, just as it is in their list, or it won't find anything. I searched for "Mocking Jay" rather than "Mockingjay" (last book in the Hunger Games trilogy, the first 2having already won multiple awards) And I got 3 titles, none of which applied & one of which was soft-core. Amazon had no such trouble. I contacted customer service immediately but nothing has changed. If you can't guess exactly what they have as a title (with or without the subtitle?) searching takes way longer. 

Personally, I'm starting to think I'm not going to bother worrying about this. It's a chimera. I've wanted to be able to combine these three libraries since Nook was first announced and they've never seemed capable of working it out. eReader still works on my iPod and my iPad, so I'm not going to worry. I've downloaded both bookshelves to my hard drive and I'll just wait it out. 

Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise shutting down--books can be transferred to NOOK Library

I finally received my authorization code to transfer my books over from Fictionwise (I only had 27). They transferred right away.  My only complaint is that I had a Lord of the Rings Omnibus that had all three novels included.  What I got from Barnes & Noble was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Other than that, it all went well.

javabird
0 Kudos

cgsmom wrote:

I finally received my authorization code to transfer my books over from Fictionwise (I only had 27). They transferred right away.  My only complaint is that I had a Lord of the Rings Omnibus that had all three novels included.  What I got from Barnes & Noble was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Other than that, it all went well.

That's interesting, the same thing happened to me. It should have been the full LOTR trilogy, but it only transferred The Two Towers instead.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Well, tried again & it worked. Everything seems to have carried over properly, but I had a pretty small number of eReader.com titles. But, really, several weeks & totally clueless email customer service? I expect more B&N.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Well!  Goodish news.  I had 751 books in the active books in my B&N account, 989 Fictionwise books and 589 Ereader books.

I had gotten the initial emails, then nothing.  Called support (not the main number but the other one) three times, and been assured that it would come.

I never got instructions and an access code, but around 1am they started flooding in.  I now have 2187 books in my BN account.  Now that's still only 1436 out of  1578, but I am somewhat encouraged.  However I have a first edition, and I gather there are issues.  (My phone seems to have them all and be opening them peacefully, although I had to sign out and in again.)

I had done spreadsheets for what I had in the two accounts and I identified some that I knew wouldn't be there (Emma Holly, CJ Cherryh among others) but at least it is progress!

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Be sure to contact B&N over wrongly matcched books - they are using an automated system and it's obvious someone set up the wrong ISBN match for the LOTR trilogy.

And hopefully you guys have a backup, just in case they can't (or just won't) correct it at the B&N end.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Contributor
gstew
0 Kudos

By evening Friday, I had 896 items in my B&N bookshelf...

[ Edited ]

If it was a linear conversion, I'd have all but 6 items! YAAAYYY!

But it wasn't.

I spent time that evening and part of Saturday to create a checklist of all my Fictionwise & EReader books/mags/stories & reconcile that with the B&N bookshelf.

First, I saw 6 items in the B&N bookshelf twice.

Second, I found 4 items that I purchased from both EReader & Fictionwise... easy to do back in the day after Fictionwise had purchased EReader (Or Palm Reader or whatever it was back then) and they had much of the same stock, but two separate and uncoordinated wishlists. Of course, these only converted into one B&N bookshelf item.

Third, I found 17 F-Wise/EReader items missing. Interestingly, only one was on the Unavailable Fictionwise Titles list!!! And of course, several items I own that were on the list did convert ok.

Here's what I have missing at this time:

The Year's Best Science Fiction (2001), Gardner Dozois

Ace in the Hole [Wild Cards #6], George R.R. Martin

Aces Abroad [Wild Cards #4], George R.R. Martin

Down & Dirty [Wild Cards #5], George R.R. Martin

Jokers Wild [Wild Cards #3], George R.R. Martin

Songs of Earth and Power: The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage, Greg Bear

The Time Machine, H G. Wells

Mindbridge, Joe Haldeman

Nikko's Dream, Joe Hutsko

Science Fiction: The Best of 2003, Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2004, Karen Haber & Jonathan Strahan

Borrowed Tides, Paul Levinson

The Consciousness Plague [Phil D'Amato Story 4], Paul Levinson

Science Fiction: The Best of 2001, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2002, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth, Roger Zelazny

A Fire Upon the Deep: Special Edition eBook, Vernor Vinge

Anyone else gotten any of these transferred? Interesting that all but 2 are EReader purchases. Also interesting that of the ones that are part of a series, only the series 'Science Fiction: The Best of NNNN' did not transfer in its entirety... all the other series, some transferred, some didn't. HUH?

Finally, with most of my bookshelves tranferred, I went through my wishlists to see what would be available on B&N. I found a number of short stories and a few longer works that are not in B&N's stock, so I did a quick purchase last night. We'll see if B&N has their act together enough to get these... or if I have to jog them. Just in case, I went through the opt-in process again and re-submitted all of my opt-in codes.

And I also had a number of back-issues of SciFi magazines on my wishlists... mainly AEon, Interzone, and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I thought I'd go through those today and order the key ones from Fictionwise, but that was not to be! Even though they state "The last day of sales has been extended to midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 9, 2012. After December 9th, Fictionwise/eReader will no longer sell digital content." and those magazines were available on Fictionwise on Dec 8, they had cut over to pointing to only B&N stocked items by morning Dec 9 and they were gone! Hmph!

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction is available at Amazon, so I'll get them there. Anyone know where I can buy digital copies of AEon and Interzone?

All in all, for me at least and some others posting here, this is moving towards a qualified success instead of the unmitigated train wreck it was at the beginning. I sure hope everyone who wants their books transferred gets them. It would be really helpful if B&N started a thread on their forums to allow people who have issues to post them and get answers directly from the conversion team... at least that way they'd keep us somewhat informed.

I'll update later this week or when more items appear at B&N in my bookshelf, whichever comes first!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I know that the numbers of books transferred that I list don't add up... not sure where I missed something or if the B&N bookshelf count is off (it might be... it did not go up after I bought two more items there today), but at least before someone points that out, I see that too.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: By evening Friday, I had 896 items in my B&N bookshelf...

LOL, I've gotten two of mine, and neither one was one that I needed - they were both books that I'd originally downloaded as .epub and were DRM-free, so no need to have them in my B&N account.  The two that I was hoping for, the ones that were .pdb, haven't shown up, even though they're both very clearly available to buy in .epub format from B&N.

Frequent Contributor
Robert-J-Sawyer
0 Kudos

Transfer worked: 1,450 books moved to my Nook account

The redemption code finally showed up, and after applying it, almost instantly 1,450 Fictionwise and eReader.com books moved into my Nook account (about 650 were DRM'd commercial ebooks formerly in eReader format; the rest were multiformat non-DRM'd novels and short stories).  In the end, I'm very impressed.  And it was very classy of Barnes & Noble to provide this migration path for Fictionwise / eReader customers.  So, thank you, B&N!

Rob

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Re: Another long, sordid tale...

I found at least one of the books on the Fictionwise list that did make it over, the Alex Kava bundle of Maggie O'Dell series, but a bunch of books by Charles De Lint and Stephen Goldin are not on the list and probably ought to be because they show up in my library but I can't download them, and they don't appear to be for sale at either B&N or Amazon.
keriflur
0 Kudos

bga_reviews wrote:
I found at least one of the books on the Fictionwise list that did make it over, the Alex Kava bundle of Maggie O'Dell series, but a bunch of books by Charles De Lint and Stephen Goldin are not on the list and probably ought to be because they show up in my library but I can't download them, and they don't appear to be for sale at either B&N or Amazon.

Which deLint books are you waiting for?

Contributor
AlexJouJou
0 Kudos

No code yet for me. I've sent emails to CS but it's cricket's out there. I really didn't want to call - I know they are getting swamped. You know this whole thing and my irritation would not even exist if they just kept us informed. Information is all I ask - I can be plenty patient after all - I have 700 books and I'm hoping many transfer. 

Someone on another forum said a CS rep told her/him that those who did not yet get the codes will get them this weekend or at least they'd start sending out again. I hope so!

Contributor
AlexJouJou
0 Kudos

Coming back to add I did end up calling and the guy said "this week". 

I'm not sure how many "this week" answers are going to work for me. I'd really like this settled particularly as the FW access completely shuts off on 12/21. I did download all my books but it is a security blanket that I could just double verify against my Nook Account. 

He said by Friday. It's Tuesday. We shall see. 

javabird
0 Kudos

cgsmom wrote:

cgsmom, did you ever get the issue with the LOTR ebook resolved? 

cgsmom
0 Kudos

Actually, I never tried to resolve the LOTR problem.  I read on other forums that no solution was ever offered from Barnes & Noble, so I didn't try.  I had all my books from fictionwise backed up and converted to epub anyway so I didn't really lose anything.

Correspondent
bookitID
0 Kudos

Finally, after over a month, I got my code. My books started appearing, approx 100 so far. I didn't pay attention how many books I had from Fictionwise, so I'm hopeful that all of them transferred.

New User
--L--
0 Kudos

Am I too late to get my books I only just found out about the closure!

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Wouldn't it be nice if we owned the books?
Freedom is not free.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

--L-- wrote:

Am I too late to get my books I only just found out about the closure!

I think you should have gotten an email if you have books from Fictionwise.  The Fictionwise website is still up, though, so maybe you can go there if you feel like they made an error.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
janette007
0 Kudos

Re: Sigh. Still no code received from Barnes & Noble for my...

Still no books transferred, no action from ereader/fictionwise no matter how many emails I send. I've done everything I was supposed to do. I'm not buying from B&N if I don't get my books. No trust = No money.