Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise shutting down--books can be transferred to NOOK Library

[ Edited ]

javabird wrote:

cgsmom wrote:

I finally received my authorization code to transfer my books over from Fictionwise (I only had 27). They transferred right away.  My only complaint is that I had a Lord of the Rings Omnibus that had all three novels included.  What I got from Barnes & Noble was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Other than that, it all went well.

That's interesting, the same thing happened to me. It should have been the full LOTR trilogy, but it only transferred The Two Towers instead.

I finally called CS about this -- they said they are aware of the problem with this book and are working on getting it fixed.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Sigh. Still no code received from Barnes & Noble for my...

Still no code for me. It was back on November 28 that Fictionwise said that the code would be sent a bit later. Fortunately, I only have two titles from Fictionwise and eReader.com, and neither title is important to me.

Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

Still no code for me either.  I also got the email in November about opting in and saying you would get the code shortly.  I only have four books, but they are PDB and it would be nice to get them in EPUB so I could actually read them.  I can't find anything to read the PDB books except my original Nook. I called customer service and they said that they complete transfer of fictionwise books was scheduled to be completed by the second week in February so I should get the code by then.  We'll see....

New User
PatrickHoulihan
0 Kudos

I have contacted Customer Service via email and phone several times since November. I've been told numerous times that I would receive an email and/or a code within a week; I have not received anything. I've been told to call a different number, and when I did, was transferred back to the original number I called. I've even been transferred to a phone number that was permanently out of service.

I've concluded that they are simply using a Customer Service Random Answer Generator to come up with the responses. 

Barnes and Noble Customer Service is not just bad. It's an arrogant division of the company that shows complete disregard for their customers. I'm cancelling my Barnes and Noble account.

Contributor
gstew
0 Kudos

Backstory... I opted in day 1, got a few books transferred then with the bulk coming a few weeks later in the process after a few calls & Cust Support tickets. But just before F-wise shut down for commerce, I purchased most of the items on my wish list which didn't appear to be available from B&N, some 40 or so books and stories. These have been AWOL in my B&N bookshelf since then, even after quite a few more calls & tickets.

I checked today about a week after my last call to CS & I am AMAZED, THEY ARE THERE in my B&N bookshelf!

That lines up with my impression that the last time I called CS, they seemed to be more knowledgable about the process and provided more complete, believable, and realistic answers.

While I had already re-backed-up my F-Wise & EReader items... and with the help of those posting details in this thread, liberated them, it's nice to have them all in one bookshelf with an ok reader for access.

That doesn't excuse that the process has been a slow-motion, self-inflicted trainwreck since the beginning. And with the post-Christmas news about B&N's disappointing sales, I plan to DL, liberate, & archive the rest of my items that I'd purchased directly through B&N.

I am still amazed at how inept this process has been. I guess that my experiences with B&N's website (try searching for Science Fiction writers Robert Reed or John Barnes to see what I mean) and Fictionwise after their purchase (I fought with them to get an Android version of EReader that'd decrypt their DRM on my Android 4.0.4 phone... and they never came through) should have prepared me.

And what makes me so sad is that they could have made us old F-Wise & Ereader customers raving fans if they had just done this transfer well! Or even just provided good information and support after their initial epic fail!!!

But it does say something to me that they did what they said, at least for me. And will say more if everyone here has gotten their F-Wise & Ereader bookshelves transferred over before they shut down this process.

Thanks all here for all the news and support.

And everyone who hasn't gotten their books yet, my advice is just keep on calling CS & submitting tickets.

Greg in Mississippi
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

I'm still waiting to get a code, to get the process started - despite multiple attempts to get signed up...

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

Of course, still no books.  Just go off the phone with customer service and they said that due to the high number of books being transferred to accounts they have extended the time period by a couple of weeks.  No kidding...  They said they realized that it was taking an extremely long time for this process and they apologize.  I guess I'll just be happy if I ever get the books at all!  Patience is a virtue, they say...

Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

wow, finally got my books

For those of you still waiting for the code, don't bother.  I just got off the phone with customer service and they said no codes were being used now and the books should just be in my account.  I checked my library, and they are there!!!  They actually went into my library on 2/7/2013 -- only 2 plus months after opting in for the offer.  YEA!!!  So check your Nook library for your books, hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.  I'm just glad it's finally over and I don't have to keep calling.  It took a long time, but it was still a great offer for them to transfer the books and I'm grateful.  Thanks Barnes and Noble!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: wow, finally got my books

modaddy wrote:

So check your Nook library for your books, hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

Nope, not there.

Inspired Contributor
stirwise
0 Kudos

Not there for me, either. Wondering if my account got lost in the shuffle. 

Contributor
modaddy
0 Kudos

If you haven't received your books maybe you should call them. The number i called was 1-855-654-9332. I actually got an email last week telling me that my books had been transferred. Good luck.
Inspired Contributor
stirwise
0 Kudos

I called them a few weeks ago, haven't gotten an email nor have my books been transferred. Calling them again now, we'll see what happens. I'm getting used to the idea that all of my ereader purchases are lost. :smileysad:

New User
PulpFriction
0 Kudos

Oh dear...

I have purchased perhaps $600 of titles from fictionwise.

Unfortunately, due to severe illness, I was unable to receive the email giving me six weeks notice that my library that had existed for around 6 years was about to go away.

I've recovered, and just found out that I can't access my account.

I'm now too late to opt in - or to access the DRM free books and download them.

Is there any way to move these to a nook account - or another solution?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Oh dear...

Try a call to B&N customer service. A little patience, pleading, and politeness can go a long way. It may have to go up the chain a bit, but the data is somewhere. It just needs to be migrated to a B&N account.

Good luck.

Inspired Contributor
stirwise

Good news! My eReader books were transferred over sometime this week, looks like last call a month ago did the trick. Hope everybody else gets their shelves soon!
Reader 2
framework4
0 Kudos

June and Never got my books,

I had both Fictionwise.com and EReader.com accounts.  Both using the same email address as I use for My Nook account.  After dozens of emails and phone calls they transferred some of the books from the EReader.com account and NOT ONE SINGLE BOOK from the Fictionwise.com account.

They directed me to a pdf listing books not transferable and ignored my detailed listing of the books I had in my fictionwise account the WERE NOT on that list. 

I still have copies in the Android Ereader app.  One of these days I will spend the time to figure out how to UN-DRM those titles and add them to my Nook Touch. 

In the meantime, I hope B&N does not decide to close their ebook store.  I made the mistake of using Microsoft's LIT store in the past.  Then LIT went away. Now EReader/PeanutReader pdb files are dead. 

Worst part of ebooks is being locked into a dying tech format.  In my PALM days I purchased the Covey 7 habits books. they came on a cd-rom with their own custom reader. Worked on my PalmPro, but not on the PalmIII. 

DRM is pure evil.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Re: June and Never got my books,

DRM is definitely evil.

Not as evil as proprietary format programs on CD-ROM, though. Such as the 2 copies of the National Geographic I have (yes, two - my mother bought it also), which only worked sort of in the first place, can only be read inside their special application and which, of course, won't run on any modern hardware.

Karen
Books on the Knob
New User
Nighthawk4
0 Kudos

I received the email and replied to opt in.

I received a reply saying they will be transfered.

However, nothing happened. I still cannot access my Fictionwise eReader ebooks.

I checked my B&N account and they are still not there.

Is there a link I can use to make them transfer manually, or do they move across automatically please?

Even my unlock code in the eReader App is not working now, so the books are not accessible even though I have a copy of them all.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@Nighthawk4:

You do realize that this thread is more than 6 months old?  If you didn't complete the transfer last year, you missed your opportunity.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

I'm sure she wasn't the only one or due to any lack of trying. None of mine transferred, either, despite numerious attempts on my part. I would have liked to get EPUBs of several, instead of the ereaders versions I had backed up, but that's a chance you take with buying ebooks, it seems.

Karen
Books on the Knob