Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

Fictionwise shutting down--books can be transferred to NOOK Library

[ Edited ]

Some of you may already know this, but Fictionwise will stop selling books on December 4, 2012.

http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

From the FAQ:

Q1: Why is Fictionwise shutting down?

Fictionwise, comprised of several eBooks retail websites including Fictionwise.com, eReader.com and eBookwise.com ("Fictionwise Websites") is in the process of winding down its operations. Over the past three years there has been a significant decrease in demand for many of the eBook formats that the Fictionwise Websites sell. In contrast, the eBook format supported by Barnes & Noble--ePub--is growing in popularity.

Q2: What does the transfer option to a NOOK® Library at Barnes & Noble mean for me? How do I set up a BN.com account?

During the month of November, you will receive an email from Fictionwise Websites with instructions on how to opt-in to have your Bookshelf transferred to a BN.com NOOK Library. Once transferred, most of your eBooks in your Bookshelf should appear in your NOOK Library. See Question 10 below.

With your NOOK Library, you will have access to an expansive and ever-growing eBookstore. You can read NOOK Books on NOOK's free mobile app for your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, NOOK® for Windows 8 PC or Tablet, as well as reading your eBooks with your PC/Mac web browser, or on the award-winning NOOK® devices.

Q3: When is the last day that I can access my Fictionwise Websites Bookshelf?

The Fictionwise Websites will continue selling eBooks until December 4, 2012. After December 4, 2012, you will no longer be able to purchase eBooks at the Fictionwise Websites. From December 4, 2012 to December 21, 2012, U.S. customers will still have the ability to download content from your existing Bookshelf. From December 4, 2012 to January 31, 2012, customers outside the U.S. will still have the ability to download content from your existing Bookshelf.

* After December 21, 2012, Fictionwise.com bookshelves will no longer be available in the US.

* After January 31, 2013 Fictionwise.com bookshelves will no longer be available to customers outside of the US.

See the link above for more information.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise shutting down--books can be transferred to NOOK Library

Got the email, clicked the link - waiting for the code and instructions.  Adding 989 fictionwise books and 589 ereader books will be interesting.  I've got about 1300 Ereader books.  Also hearing very dire early numbers transferring, and the total list of titles that won't transfer is distressingly long.

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

I clicked the submit button and received an error saying, "your email doesn't match our records." Anybody else encounter the same problem? Something tells me this isn't going to be a smooth transition.

booklover128
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I received the same error message about my email address not matching their records.

I have two different email addresses for the two accounts but I don't think that should matter. I clicked on the link in the email that Fictionwise sent to me.

I have emailed customer support at Fictionwise with the error message. They have been prompt to reply to my support questions in the past, so I am hopeful that they will be this time too.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

The link worked for me (though I had to paste it into my browser rather than being able to click through), but when I selected the option to opt in and clicked submit, all that happened was that the check box became unchecked, so I've no idea if I've properly opted in or not.  *rolls eyes*

You'd think, since B&N owns both sides of the transfer, that this would not be so darn hard and poorly done.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Also, the "Transitioning Your Titles" page that the link takes you too says "Welcome Fictionwise Customer" on it even though my email address is part of the link.  Apparently they couldn't be bothered to use a variable to populate the customer's name in the letter.

Um, B&N, way to make your customers feel neglected.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

I think this is just another example of why it's so import to back up any eBook purchases you make. It doesn't really matter where you buy from, BACK IT UP.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
javabird
0 Kudos

Anyone having trouble getting their books to transfer? Most of my books did not transfer.
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@javabird:

When I submitted my transition request earlier today, only 6 of my 44 books appeared in my NOOK library.  I called Customer Support, and they said the transition may take up to 24 hours.  Nothing else has appeared since then, but I'll wait at least 24 hours before calling again.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

ack. I was told I'll get an email with my access code, etc next week.

cgsmom
0 Kudos

What are we supposed to do if the link says that my email address is not valid? It is the same address that my Barnes & Noble account uses.  Some answers from Barnes & Noble would be appreciated.

javabird
0 Kudos

I also called customer support and was told it would take up to 24 hours.
javabird
0 Kudos

cgsmom, did you use a different email address with Fictionwise?
cgsmom
0 Kudos

No, I have the same email address on my Fictionwise account as my Barnes & Noble account. I followed the link in the email I received from Fictionwise.
javabird
0 Kudos

That's odd. I had a problem the first 2 times that I tried to submit using the link-- I would click the button and nothing would happen. The next time I tried signing into my BN account first (My Account > Account settings > Password > Sign in). Then I clicked the link from the email again and then it worked. 

Contributor
rmccort
0 Kudos

Has anyone actually recceived any transfered books? The FAQ is a little unclear about how that actually happens.

I did get an e-mail from BN suggesting that my transfer would begin sometime after November 19, but even that seemed a little vague.

javabird
0 Kudos

I got 5 books right away and then the transfers stopped. I have over 300 books in my Fictionwise/ereader accounts.
RHWright
0 Kudos

gobasso wrote:

I clicked the submit button and received an error saying, "your email doesn't match our records." Anybody else encounter the same problem? Something tells me this isn't going to be a smooth transition.

I also got this error, directly using the link provided in the email.

Trying a few things on my own before calling CS. But, really, this should be smoother than this.

Contributor
JetsJetsJets
0 Kudos

I also received the same error message - I emailed fictionwise and B&N, we shall see if they get back to me.

javabird
0 Kudos

I still don't have any more than the initial 5 of my books transferred. Definitely taking longer than 24 hours.

(I can't help but think if this had been Apple, there would have been a major scandal all over the internet.)