Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

msmoonlite wrote:

.... I have no problem reading 'smut' if it is done right and well written. 50 Shades does not fit the bill.

Note to self: Must get to work on NNOH.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I probably am just clueless, but how do these books become so popular? Is it some variation on chaos theory? The adult equivalent of teens hanging out at the same awful joint because everyone else is? I have not read this book so can't comment on its value. It is just that there are so many good books that don't sell, even higher quality smut, I bet. I am male, but I don't think prudish? I have read an occasional paranormal book, Storm Walker?, comes to mind. Enlighten me please.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
I probably am just clueless, but how do these books become so popular? Is it some variation on chaos theory? The adult equivalent of teens hanging out at the same awful joint because everyone else is? I have not read this book so can't comment on its value. It is just that there are so many good books that don't sell, even higher quality smut, I bet. I am male, but I don't think prudish? I have read an occasional paranormal book, Storm Walker?, comes to mind. Enlighten me please.

It's all in how well it's marketed.  It had some decent marketing then the media got involved and hyped it up - after that it blew up and people started reading it just because they knew someone else who was reading it and they didn't want ot be left out.  I would also have to agree with a few of the articles I've seen recently that the books having "simple" covers is helping the sales as well (they claim people aren't as embarassed to be seen with them in public).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Well I finally finished this book yesterday.

I found it very disappointing and tough to read.

The descriptions in the book were vague and repetitive. If I was reading a paperback book I probably would have ripped the page out by the time I read about Christians slacks "hanging from his hips in that way" for the 10th time.

In general I found the writing style juvenile, although I think the author could improve with training and experience.

As for the story, I appears typical of fan fiction, more a stream of consciousness than a novel.

The book had no real conclusion, I got to the end and kept trying to turn the page because it was so abrupt I thought there had to be more.

I realize this is the first book in a trilogy, but I've always felt that the individual books in a series should be readable as stand-alone novels. That was not the case in this book, if you are not going to read the second (and I presume the third) don't start because nothing is resolved by the end of the first book.

As erotic fiction it did not excite me, and as a drama/romance it failed to grab my interest. However now I feel qualified to give my opinion in all the conversations about this book going on, so I guess it was worth reading.

keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I am very, very impressed.  I have a copy of the original FF and can't even bring myself to sample it.  Bad writing just kills me (and most of the issues you described come down to a lack of writing skill).

Cheers to you for your efforts!  *raises glass*

keriflur
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

I keep thinking about this and I'm still absolutely flabbergasted as to how these books could have taken off the way they did.  I'd thought the controversy about a FF writer publishing would give the books some boost, but that ultimately interest would fizzle quickly.  Overall I find their popularity curious and slightly disturbing.

keriflur
0 Kudos

For anyone who's interested, Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland is now available free on kindle.  :smileysurprised::smileylol:

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

As erotic fiction it did not excite me, and as a drama/romance it failed to grab my interest....

Now aren't you sorry you wasted all that time, when you could have been doing something more interesting like watching paint dry?

keriflur
0 Kudos

More Erotic Twilight Fanfic Coming Our Way

It seems Fifty Shades has sparked a trend.  An indie novelist just landed a seven-figure deal for his erotic Twilight fan fiction, to be published in a duology.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/sylvain-reynard-lands-substantial-seven-figure-deal_b55229

I'm wondering how many of these can come out before the world becomes sick of seeing the same plot line over and over.

This time it's written by a man.  I wonder if that will make any difference.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: More Erotic Twilight Fanfic Coming Our Way

keriflur wrote:

This time it's written by a man.  I wonder if that will make any difference.

Probably stylistically.  Not necessarily in quality.  OTOH, the writing can't be any worse than 50SoG.

Certainly not up there with NNOH.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I have not read these books, however, out of curiosity, I checked the library. The ave 40 copies and there are 730 people on the waiting list. I wonder how many of those 730 people are not really aware of the erotic nature of the book? Maybe I'll read them in a couple of years when they get through the waiting list.
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
I have not read these books, however, out of curiosity, I checked the library. The ave 40 copies and there are 730 people on the waiting list. I wonder how many of those 730 people are not really aware of the erotic nature of the book? Maybe I'll read them in a couple of years when they get through the waiting list.

Just for kicks I checked both my local libraries (my county system and Philly). My county library has 15 copies of the first book with 368 holds. Interesting. I've never seen them buy more than a couple copies of an ebook (I think they have 4 of each Harry Potter, though). They did just get a huge donation to be applied to electronic library services. They bought a whole bunch of nooks, sonys, and kindles preloaded with different genres to check out. If anyone is intersted Philly has 35 copies and 895 waiting. :smileylol: 

Okay, I just checked paper copies and my county library has 151 copies!!!! There are 268 holds. Those are shared between 18 libraries (the catalog is combined and when you place a hold you get the first one to come in, they just bring it to the library you request.) But holy cow! 151 copies. I remember when the sequel to the Davinci Code came out they had well over a hundred copies. It took me 3 months on the waiting list to get it. It really wasn't worth the wait, either. 

Reader 4
vb2idaho

I was at a dinner party last night and we were discussing Nooks and Kindles and our books and Nook free books. One of the men mad a crack about "Fifty Shades of Grey" which none of of us got because we don't read this stuff. So when I came across it here I had to read the posts. I too read the Twilight series (while on med leave after surgery) and they were quick reads.But now that I am aware of this book, i won't think it's some self help feel good book on aging next time it is referred to!!!
New User
Chakita_0912
0 Kudos

I have loved this book... My sister in law and I are on the final book and we have discovered a new set of books to read after we are finished with the final book... We heard that E.L. James is going to write another trilogy excpet this time from Christen's point of view and we can't wait to read it... I think that book is going to be really good..

MacMcK1957

Is it remotely possible that those who read this and believe it be good erotica have never, in fact, read any other erotica? It's the only explanation I can think of.
Wordsmith
ProfReader

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Is it remotely possible that those who read this and believe it be good erotica have never, in fact, read any other erotica? It's the only explanation I can think of.

I don't see how it matters since the actual writing is so terrible.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

If you'd like a laugh, read through the B&N reviews of The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, the first book in Anne Rice's BDSM trilogy.  There are a lot of 50-shaders who think they know what BDSM is and they're getting the shock of their lives when they move on to Rice's books.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

If you'd like a laugh, read through the B&N reviews of The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, the first book in Anne Rice's BDSM trilogy.  There are a lot of 50-shaders who think they know what BDSM is and they're getting the shock of their lives when they move on to Rice's books.

Well, that was interesting. I read at least books one & two years ago. IIRC, I didn't really enjoy them and quit, not because they were bad, I simply didn't enjoy them, but I certainly didn't think they needed to banned or burned, nor did I think that people who did enjoy them were sick. Personally, I find serial killer books way more disturbing than these books, if I had to choose I'd read the sleeping beauty books over serial killer books, especially serial killers who target women. I read books one & two of 50 shades and quit, thought they were boring. Forced myself through two and that was it. Word of advice to those who hated the beauty series, don't read the Story of O.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I read one of the Rice books, Beauty's Punishment, I think.  Not really to my taste, but it's well-written.  I read a sample of 50 Shades.  Again, not really to my taste, but even if it had been, the writing is just really dreadful.  I remain mystified by its popularity.

Frequent Contributor
french44
0 Kudos

Ah no worries, your not missing anything... I read the first one and it was painful for me.......... That women flushed so many times I was starting to think she was toilet for crying out loud... I will never understand the hype that it recieved, but to each its own I guess..

LarryOnLI wrote:

keriflur wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

It's funny that now that everyone is trashing the novel I want to read it just so I can be part of the conversation.

Read it!  Let us know how far in you get.  :smileyhappy:

Well I've made it to chapter 4 so far.

The problem is that the book is so un-engaging (is that a word?) that whenever I pick my iPad up to read, I end up doing almost anything else to avoid opening the book.

I have to force myself to read it, unfortunately I can't not finish a book I start. Although this one is tempting me.