Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

Re: For your consideration, my book, "No Good Deed"

How do you get sales on Amazon? I sell at least twice as many books on B&N. I hear from everyone on KindleBoards that they sell tons on the Kindle and next to nothing on B&N. I'd settle for 50/50 but I can't seem to get that many sales on Amazon.

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Mostly I hang out in the Kindle forum chatting with folks. I occasionally put a siggy link in my posts. I've also been fortunate that about three times readers have started threads about my book/books. When that happens, sales always shoot up. Every time someone new posts in the thread, it goes to the first page again and then new readers see it. However, it's a fine line. Self-promo is tolerated by some, hated by others, and encouraged by a few more. lol. I would love to be able to chat on these boards, but

I've also done some paid ads, like Kindle Nation Daily. That one paid for itself and then some. The banner on Kindleboards and the book of the day ads did next to nothing. Save your money on those. 

Also, not paid, but mentions in some of these blogs helsp: Daily Cheap Reads, the Frugal Ereader, Red Adept Reviews, etc. Theoretically, the blogs should apply to B&N too, but they never trigger sales for me.

No Good Deed
Wrongly accused of a being a terrorist, Mark Taylor is labeled an enemy combatant. There's no lawyer, no trial, and he leaves his rights outside the cell.
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day weekend.

No Good Deed
Wrongly accused of a being a terrorist, Mark Taylor is labeled an enemy combatant. There's no lawyer, no trial, and he leaves his rights outside the cell.
Frequent Contributor
tgibbs
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Just wanted to drop by and say hi.  How are things going this month with the new book?

Tammie

Tammie Clarke Gibbs
Author

ISLAND OF SECRETS
A Time Travel
A Love Story filled with Suspense
A Mystery that will keep you guessing til the end...

COUNTERFEIT KISSES
He's undercover, she's on a quest for revenge...
Historical Romantic Suspense

8 Hours to Jump Start Your Career: A Step-by-Step Guide for Self-Published Authors
Forget about spending 8 hours a day promoting your books...
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Hi Tammie! The new book, is doing really well, but most of my sales are on Amazon, unfortunately. I've received some good reviews on it too, which made me happy.  

March Into Hell

I just recently reduced the price of

No Good Deed  to 99 cents.

No Good Deed
Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Mary, you're going to get me fired!  I finally started March Into Hell last night, and was still wide awake at 2 a.m. reading.    I am now at work, bleary eyed, trying to sneak in another page every chance I get.  Kudos to you for another great story!  Planning to stay up again tonight to finish.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Sorry! (heh, not really! :smileywink:) That's funny, you're the second person in two days who's blaming me for being bleary-eyed at work. They even used the word 'bleary', although I think it was 'bleariness' for them.

Oh, I also just changed the covers on my books. I wanted to make them more uniform. The amazing and multi-talented Imogen Rose, author of PORTAL (Portal Chronicles Book One) , designed the cover for

No Good Deed

and then re-did the font on March Into Hell for me. I'd link that one, but right now the new cover isn't quite live.

No Good Deed
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No offense, but I don't like the new cover for No Good Deed. It doesn't say anything about the book. At least the guy sitting in a solitary cell related to the core story of the book.

The new one not only doesn't relate, but it's just too much yellow all in one place. And as a photographer, it's not a good shot.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

No offense taken. We all have opinions. :smileyhappy: 

I agree that the man in the cell told more about the story in the other cover, however, in the thriller genre, cityscapes seem to sell better, and my sales need a boost, especially over here on B&N.

That is the Chicago skyline, which is where much of the book is set. The yellow sky was actually intentionally made more yellow to make it ominous and to tie it into the cover with March Into Hell, which has fire on the cover.

No Good Deed
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I prefer the new cover. The yellow does create an ominous feel to it. I have done photography for years in addition to being a photo lab (remember those?) manager and I think it is a great photo.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MaryMcDonald wrote:

The yellow sky was actually intentionally made more yellow to make it ominous and to tie it into the cover with March Into Hell, which has fire on the cover.

Yellow says sunny, springtime. Purple or blue-dark gray says ominous. The skyline is too low and too small in the image. I think I get what you are trying to get to with a "building storm" look. But yellow is definitely not ominous.

Orange for the other book is good. When we think of things in hell or something fiery, it is usually red and black, or orange and black.

How about a little bit larger skyline, with ominous clouds, overlaid by cell bars? Something that says imprisonment.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kathy. I do too, and I can't argue with the sales data results. The days before the cover change, I was selling maybe 20-24 of the book, mostly on the US Amazon site. Not much here or on the UK amazon site. In the first 36 hours of the book cover going live, I've sold about 75 books. Still mostly on the US site, but a few on the UK one, and some here. Pubit isn't working this morning, so I can't say if the sales have continued here or if it was just a temp thing because of this thread.

I'm very happy though, either way though, because I love talking bookstuff, and I appreciate different viewpoints. Desert Brat has some very valid points. I worried about taking the guy in the cell out, and I almost put a camara viewfinder over the new cover. We didn't because the one Imogen found on Dreamtime, might have looked like a watermark when overlayed. 

No Good Deed
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

I like the yellow cover with the skyline.  I think it looks very very good and while I'm not a photographer, I am a consumer and soon to be publisher. 

I however did not like the jail cell image previous to this.  I though it a bit amateurish and badly done (sorry, I don't mean to hurt feelings).  The new one just looks more professional and like an actual publishing house release.  (and that's very important.. it grants instant 'credibility' that this is a book and not some half-wit who has an internet connection)

People really do shop with their eyes and the book cover is probably one of the most important parts of a book.  It's also sadly one that the authors, especially self-published authors are typically least adept at.

I think it conveys a bit of mystery of the city and I do think it a bit ominous.  While yellow is traditionally a 'happy' color, yellow on clouds is something very, very different.. and I like that.

Have you ever considered selling the same book in multiple versions?  Like having the two different covers and seeing which sells better?   I like the change very much but I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to your book yet.  I had many others on my to do list for a lot longer than you and I'm slowly working thru them. 

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this, marketing and sales and whatnot.. perhaps in a new thread like "What I learned as a self-publisher".  That may be more appropriate than hijacking your book thread for something off-topic.

I am very much exploring partnerships with toy manufacturers, like hasbro, for promotions and adverts.  While not directly related to your pure book, kid's books have so much more to take advantage of in the ebook world.  Some people hate adverts, as do I, but do you hate them because they are forced on you or would you be okay with an advert at the end of the book (that you don't need to read)

Mary, do you have a blog or website?  I'd love to read it. 

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Mary, I finished "March Into Hell" last night.  You did it again.  Mark, Jessie, Jim and even Dan are such a fine ensemble of characters that I feel as if I know them personally.  Your story held my attention thoughout.  No 'lagging in the middle' from you! 

You have such an easy, conversational style of writing that you use to create scenes in which the reader feels thoroughly engaged, almost a part of the story.  Again, as with No Good Deed, I found myself worrying about the characters when I wasn't able to continue reading, wondering and speculating about their outcomes. 

Is it too soon to ask for more?  Do you have plans for a third installment?

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

AnnSheridan wrote:
*snip*

Is it too soon to ask for more?  Do you have plans for a third installment?

:smileyvery-happy: I asked that right after she said "March Into Hell" was released.

Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

@TheriotPublishig--I do have a blog. It can be found here:

M.P. McDonald Has the Write Stuff As far as advertisements in books, I can see where a children's book might benefit. For instance, if you have some kind of toy or child product as a major component in the book, at the end, a discreet mention of where readers could find the product might be appreciated. For my kind of books, I'm not so sure an ad would work. I can see a day coming when ebooks will routinely have embedded ads though. I mean, even now, Harlequin romance paperbacks tend ot have those cardboard ads attached somewhere, or advertise other books at the ends.

No Good Deed
Frequent Contributor
tgibbs
0 Kudos

MaryMcDonald wrote:

Hi Tammie! The new book, is doing really well, but most of my sales are on Amazon, unfortunately. I've received some good reviews on it too, which made me happy.  

Hi Mary,

I got busy and never got back to check your thread. Looks like you've got a lot of interest in the new book... Fantastic! I'm still selling more on Amazon too, but this month really did pick up here on B&N.... I'm really happy about that.  Hopefully, when my second novel comes out in a few weeks that will also help with my exposure.  I'm also waiting for quite a few reviews to come out. Hope you have a great Saturday and that you make lots of sales!

Tammie

Island of Secrets

A Time Travel,

A Love Story Filled with Suspense,

A Mystery that will Keep you Guessing Til the End...

What would you do if you received a note of warning date hundreds of years before you were born?  What if it was addressed to you?

Tammie Clarke Gibbs
Author

ISLAND OF SECRETS
A Time Travel
A Love Story filled with Suspense
A Mystery that will keep you guessing til the end...

COUNTERFEIT KISSES
He's undercover, she's on a quest for revenge...
Historical Romantic Suspense

8 Hours to Jump Start Your Career: A Step-by-Step Guide for Self-Published Authors
Forget about spending 8 hours a day promoting your books...
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Thank you, Tammie! I hope you had a great Saturday with lots of sales too. :-) After a slow start, I actually had a very good day with both my books on Amazon, and even sold a few of No Good Deed here. :smileyhappy:

No Good Deed
Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Well, I had my best month yet on Barnes and Noble, but I know that most of that came because one day a bunch of my friends and family who have Nooks all bought my book. I can't count on that happening again, obviously. 

I've found that success on B&N is 99% luck. That books selected for their newletter take off,, but if your book is never selected, you can pretty much forget about anything more than a handful of sales. The people who've read and replied in this thread seem to be outside the Nook norm, in a good way.

The lack of control is very frustrating on my end, and I know it comes across when I post, so I'll probably refrain from posting here any more.

Thank you to all have taken the time to read and reply. For those who purchased my books, I hope you enjoyed them. :-)

No Good Deed
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

I know I'll miss hearing from you.  I've enjoyed your books immensely and look forward to reading more.

Good Luck!