Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

Forget about Harry Potter...

[ Edited ]

I mean, I like them and all, but the author doesn't want them sold as eBooks. Ok. I'm not happy about it, but I'll live. Nothing I do can change it.

On the other hand, Pyr Publishing... Now, that's somewhere we might be able to make some progress. Pyr wants to sell their books as eBooks. I want to buy them. But somewhere around the actual conversion by Barnes and Noble, there seems to be some sort of block.

Pyr Publishing publishes quite a few books that look interesting. Those of you who are fantasy fans might have read the First Law trilogy, by Joe Abercrombie? Good books. Published by Pyr.

Pyr's turned over a largish chunk of their catalogue to both B&N and Amazon for sale as eBooks. Amazon's got 60 or 70 of them converted and on sale. B&N has 16. And has had 16 for the last four months. It's starting to get on my nerves.

The series I'd most like to read on my Nook is the Age of Misrule trilogy. For some ineffable reason, B&N has the third book in the trilogy available for the Nook. Not the first two. Seriously. Who does that? You would think people who sell the books would be familiar with the order people read them in...

Would you all please do me a favor, and visit these links (to the product pages for books 1 and 2) and click the "Tell the publisher you want this in Nookbook format" link?

World's End:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Age-of-Misrule-Book-One/Mark-Chadbourn/e/9781591027393/

Darkest Hour:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Age-of-Misrule-Book-Two/Mark-Chadbourn/e/9781591027409/

Also, if you're feeling especially kind, I'd love it if you'd click the "Tell the publisher" button for this book as well...

Empire in Black and Gold:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Empire-in-Black-and-Gold/Adrian-Tchaikovsky/e/9781616141929/

In exchange, please feel free to post your own links in this thread, and I will happily visit the product pages of books you would like to see in Nookbook format, and click the "Tell the publisher" button on your behalf.

Yes, yes, I know that some of you are going to tell me that the button doesn't work, and the publisher doesn't ever get a request. My point is that in the case of the various books by Pyr that I want to read, they already know. They've already sent the books to B&N. 

All I'm hoping is that clicking the button prods a first step by Barnes and Noble to check and see if they already have permission to sell the product as an eBook... and if they do, to send an email over to the conversion team to hurry up on this one.

So, thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all help clicking the buttons you may provide. Thank you! And I honestly pledge my support to help click request buttons for any books you link in this thread. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Re: Forget about Harry Potter...

Done! Hope you get 'em soon :smileywink:.

The cake is a lie.
Contributor
Just_Rena
0 Kudos

clicked

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

clicked for you- hope that helps :smileyhappy:

Contributor
crazykitties03
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks all!

And I've gone and clicked on the two Cynthia Voigt books as well.

I'll try to keep doing so on a daily basis as I check back.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

clicked! :smileyvery-happy:

Hope they become available soon!

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Done and done.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

All requests clicked. Good luck!

Contributor
NN_BigDog
0 Kudos

All clicked!

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

I'm not sure why anyone would have to forget about Harry Potter just because you want other books.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  I have not given up hope that Ms. Rowling will change her mind if enough pressure is put on her.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

My apologies. My thread title was not meant to be offensive. I wrote it at a time where there were at least two or three threads bouncing around the board about the lack of Harry Potter books on the Nook. 

My frustration, and the point I was trying to make, could be summed up as:

"Yeah, it sucks that Potter books aren't available. But the author said no, so there you have it. There are books that the author and publisher are trying to sell as ebooks that I still can't buy because B&N hasn't converted them yet. Lets make some noise about those books."

Fundamentally, while I recognize the incredible, McDonalds-like popularity of the Harry Potter books, the hue and cry about her decision to withhold them from the ebook market grates on me just a little bit. They're decent books. On the overall scale of fantasy lit, they rate about a six out of ten. If you consider them solely as tween/teen fantasy, maybe as high as an eight.

There are better books out there, though my wife would not be amused with that assertion.

That said, take comfort in knowing that she will almost certainly change her mind. But it's probably not going to happen in the next month.

Let the ebook market grow a bit. When B&N has thirty million Nooks out there, and 75% of their sales are ebooks, I guarantee she's going to have a road-to-Damascus conversion.

Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

Clicked It!!  Loved the First Law Trilogy and the books you linked to sound pretty good.

Frequent Contributor
PhreaQ
0 Kudos

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

PhreaQ wrote:

While you wait for that...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940011871313

§

Are you having fun posting this link everywhere you can?

►Without order there is chaos◄