Contributor
Ritat_

Free E-Books at Read an E-Book Week

Ebook Week

Read an E-Book Week has officially begun - somewhere! 

You have a full week to download the free e-books offered by thousands of participating authors from the Read an E-Book Week website and sponsoring partner, Smashwords ,  Major e-book vendors and publishers are also participating. 

It's an e-book convention without the sore feet. 

Look for a contest for a Nook, and coupons for free e-books.  There's an amazing amount of information about e-books, e-reading devices, e-publishing and reading e-books on the website.

Check it out!

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: Free E-Books at Read an E-Book Week

One note about the Kobo code listed on the eBookWeek site:  while listed as a "free" book code, it grants only a dollar off on a Kobo ebook.

Contributor
woodstockkid
0 Kudos

Yes, I found this out too and was sorely disappointed.  :robotsad:

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Seems I misinterpreted one specific offer from an e-book vendor with a coupon.  The mistake has now been corrected.  Thanks to those who pointed it out.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

woodstockkid wrote:

Yes, I found this out too and was sorely disappointed.  :robotsad:

POed is more like it here, that has been posted for quite a while!

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

No prolem.  I was disappointed about Kobo, too.

But for anyone else who goes looking for free books, I couldn't find any current books offered for free. 

There are some quality indy and older books on some of the sites.  So this is probably a pretty good way to get introduced to indy authors and publishers and some of the smaller publishers.

Frequent Contributor
Crawson1
0 Kudos

I think the Kobo code might be for 10% off instead of a dollar.  I put an $11.19 book in my cart and it deducted $1.20.

Rita -- I'm guessing you are the organizer behind E-Book Week.  Thanks for putting this together!

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Yes, I was.  Thanks for the kind words.   I've put so much effort into it and was hoping everything would go smoothly.  :smileyindifferent:

The purpose of the week is to educate the public about electronic reading and to promote the individuals and entities involved in all aspects of the experience - from the authors who create the books to the technology in the e-readers. 

As you see, the event isn't JUST about free e-books.  I gathered articles from a number of experts in their field to help people understand e-books and what it takes to create what the consumer buys.

New partners have been added today, so everyone who has paid a visit should check out the bottoms of the lists again. 

Enjoy the week!

Inspired Contributor
Ryan_L
0 Kudos

Well I agree that it's a positive to get information about ebooks in general out there to the public, but I think those of us already on the ebook bandwagon should definitely take advantage of the free ebook bonanza going on this week on. Definitely a good time for us to stock up on books, and take our nooks out and about with us so someone can go "Hey what's that?" and then we can tell and show them. Spreading the word through our obvious enjoyment and use I think is one of the best ways to get people hooked on ebooks.

Ps. Shameless  plug, check my signature for my own ebook available for free at Smashwords!

Free on bn.com: Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Contributor
woodstockkid
0 Kudos

Thanks Rita. I know we all appreciate all the hard work and effort that you have put into this.

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Yes!  That's it    :smileyvery-happy:

I was out and about at a couple of Starbucks coffee shops yesterday with a sign  "It's Read an E-Book Week - as me about ebooks."   I had some great conversations. 

And to prove it - I posted a photo near the bottom of the promo page on the REBW website 

Read an E-Book Week  I have my Nook in hand and a Sony open on the table.