Reply
Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

[ Edited ]

Sony's e-book store has a number of titles from mystic-oriented publisher LLewellyn for free. None of those titles are currently available on B&N in NOOKbook form. I've provided links to the B&N print version instead.

 

Fiction:

 

Non-Fiction:

See the link in my signature for how to use Sony e-books on NOOK.

 

Thanks to Books on the Knob for the heads-up on these.

 

Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎12-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

Thanks, I downloaded a few of these.  Now I just need to figure out how to get the covers to look right on my Nook.  It is upsetting to my brain when they aren't there!  

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

A couple of other free e-books available elsewhere

A couple of other e-books, not from LLewellyn, that are free from Sony:

 

I don't know what's up with Dark Reunion. It's an Agency Model title, so the price should be the same at B&N and Amazon as at Sony; Amazon doesn't even have it in e-book form. The ISBN shown at Sony (9780061991554) is for the audiobook, not the e-book. Something's not right.

 

Correspondent
Wrking21
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A couple of other free e-books available elsewhere

As usual thank you Doug! It does seem of with an agency book that the prices is off. Not to mention the whole audio book issue. No doubt you'll figure it out.


Thanks,

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A couple of other free e-books available elsewhere


Doug_Pardee wrote:

A couple of other e-books, not from LLewellyn, that are free from Sony:

 

I don't know what's up with Dark Reunion. It's an Agency Model title, so the price should be the same at B&N and Amazon as at Sony; Amazon doesn't even have it in e-book form. The ISBN shown at Sony (9780061991554) is for the audiobook, not the e-book. Something's not right.

 


I downloaded it from Sony and just opened it, it's 164 page book. I know when I did the search yesterday it came up with 2 different versions. I wonder what the difference is.

Contributor
Binx88
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

Just a heads up. At Sony, some of these say they are $0 when you are looking at them, but when they are put into the cart they have a price.

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

I tried several of these. They show up as free in the Sony store but when you add them to your cart they are over $12 each (at least the few I tried were). Just an oops on Sony's part I think.

 

Fran

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

I downloaded all of them, they were free.

 

Double check that you are picking the right book.

 

unless they went on/off sale in a matter of hours which has happened before.

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

 


Jenniisme wrote:

I downloaded all of them, they were free.

 

Double check that you are picking the right book.

 

unless they went on/off sale in a matter of hours which has happened before.


 

Yep, they were definitely the right books. It said $0 right above the click to add to your cart (or whatever that little button says). But as soon as they hit the cart the price was over $12. For each one I tried, anyway. I suspect that they (at least some of them) were a mistake and they were in the process of correcting the prices by the time I got to them. Not a big deal really, I doubt I would actually get around to reading them. 

 

Fran

Inspired Contributor
RVnook
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

On the subject of Sony e-books, has anyone figured out to get them on a computer running Linux? The Sony Reader software does not run under Wine in Linux, and you apparently need that to download books from their store. Unless there's another way?

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
Posts: 205
Registered: ‎09-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

For now, you have to have a windows or mac pc (or borrow one, I guess). No other way to buy their books. They are working on a phone app, but don't know if they'll include Droid as well as iPhone. They don't seem to much care if they sell any books and their store is pretty atrocious.

 

Maybe if they had a reading app on the PS3, they would feel differently (then again, almost anything would be better than reading a book on the tv).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Inspired Contributor
RVnook
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere


BooksOnTheKnob wrote:

For now, you have to have a windows or mac pc (or borrow one, I guess). No other way to buy their books. They are working on a phone app, but don't know if they'll include Droid as well as iPhone. They don't seem to much care if they sell any books and their store is pretty atrocious.

 

Maybe if they had a reading app on the PS3, they would feel differently (then again, almost anything would be better than reading a book on the tv).


That's pretty much what I've concluded. Since I prefer to keep all my e-books backed up on one machine, I guess I'll be skipping Sony's store for the foreseeable future. Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

They don't have anything for iPad either...and that's a pretty big market, too. I wonder what they are thinking. Oh well. At least they've covered the nook. LOL
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
Posts: 205
Registered: ‎09-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

 


blkeyesuzi wrote:
They don't have anything for iPad either...and that's a pretty big market, too. I wonder what they are thinking. Oh well. At least they've covered the nook. LOL

You can read their books on the iPad (or iPhone or Droid), just not buy them. You must have the Sony Library software installed to buy the books and download. But, once you do that, they are just standard Adobe ADE Epubs and you can move them to any device you have authorized (sideloading, using dropbox, etc). There are ADE readers for the other devices, so I just use those.

 

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Free LLewellyn e-books available elsewhere

That's nice to know. I have an iPad and haven't been able to read anything from them except on my mac laptop...as far as I knew. Thanks for the heads up. ;-)
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs