Inspired Correspondent
racheling

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

Disturbed Earth (Artie Cohen Series #5)  

Winter 2003. Still reeling from 9/11, New York City is hit by the worst blizzard in years. On the verge of making peace with his own turbulent life, Artie Cohen—Reggie Nadelson's Russian-born, angst-ridden detective—is called to investigate a pile of blood-soaked children's clothes found on a Brooklyn beach. Artie is reluctantly drawn into a case that involves the death of one child, the strange disappearance of another, and growing anxiety about the fate of his own godson— all against the backdrop of a city already on edge. In his increasingly obsessive search for the missing child, Artie veers from posh parties on the Lower West Side of Manhattan to the remote coastal suburbs of Brooklyn, among the Russian community he thought he had left behind, only to discover truths that will haunt him in more ways than one.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

[ Edited ]

An ebook exclusive Sweetblood novella.

Deep within the forests of the Pacific Northwest, two vampire coalitions battle for supremacy—Guardians who safeguard humanity and Darkbloods, rogues who will stop at nothing to satisfy their craving for the sweetest of human blood.

Now, former Army Ranger Finn McKentry finds himself imprisoned as a blood slave, forced to submit to an enemy more powerful than any he's encountered before. Only Brenna Stewart, the woman he'd loved and lost, can set him free—but the secret she harbors might lead them down the most dangerous path of all…

You will find the H series of thrillers different. 
The first is different, but the others will be like nothing you have ever read before......

H is the nickname for James James who we join as he starts on his road, building a business that will take him far away from his past....

H deals with all obstacles, including his enemies, with ruthless determination. 
The inventiveness with which he disposes of his rivals features largely and the brutality can at times be extreme. 

However H has a natural empathy for the weak and vulnerable which provides the motivation for much of his brutality and cruelty. 

This caring side of H endears him to Benshima, an equally intriguing personality
The H books abound with an amazing cast of colourful, rounded but often deeply flawed characters; and throughout a strand of dark, ironic humour that keeps you involved until the very last page......

Pinky:smileyhappy:

Contributor
kaykngirl
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

They Almost Always Come Home  by Cynthia Ruchti (Abingdon Press, May 2010)

When Libby's husband Greg fails to return from a two-week canoe trip to the Canadian wilderness, the authorities soon write off his disappearance as an unhappy husband's escape from an empty marriage and unrewarding career. Their marriage might have survived if their daughter Lacey hadn't died . . . and if Greg hadn't been responsible. Libby enlists the aid of her wilderness savvy father-in-law and her faith-walking best friend to help her search for clues to her husband's disappearance . . . if for no other reason than to free her to move on. What the trio discovers in the search upends Libby's presumptions about her husband and rearranges her faith. 

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

3 new freebies:

Dixie (I Can Read Book 1 Series)  by Grace Gilman and Sarah McConnell (Illustrator)

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Dip & Spread Recipes  by Gooseberry Patch

and an enhanced nookbook of probably fairly limited interest (for nookcolors only):

Kaplan MCAT 3D  by Kaplan

Contributor
gladmornings

The Fort 

This book is enhanced with content such as audio or video, resulting in a large file that may take longer to download than expected.

In The Fort enhanced e-book readers enjoy: A documentary short where Bernard Cornwell walks them through this historic event right where it all happened in modern day Castine, Maine * Extensive additional information about the book's characters and sailing ships *A Revolutionary War timeline * A color map * Author interviews.

All are created to provide readers with an in-depth experience with this slice of American and British history.

While the major fighting of the war moves to the south in the summer of 1779, a British force of fewer than a thousand Scottish infantry, backed by three sloops-of-war, sails to the desolate and fog-bound coast of New England. Establishing a garrison and naval base at Penobscot Bay, in the eastern province of Massachusetts that would become Maine, the Scots—the only British troops between Canada and New York—harry rebel privateers and give shelter to American loyalists.

In response, Massachusetts sends a fleet of more than forty vessels and some one thousand infantrymen to “captivate, kill or destroy” the foreign invaders. Second in command is Peleg Wadsworth, a veteran of the battles at Lexington and Long Island, once aide to General Washington, and a man who sees clearly what must be done to expel the invaders.

But ineptitude and irresolution lead to a mortifying defeat—and have stunning repercussions for two men on opposite sides: an untested eighteen-year-old Scottish lieutenant named John Moore, who will begin an illustrious military career; and a Boston silversmith and patriot named Paul Revere, who will face court-martial for disobedience and cowardice.

Grounded firmly in history, inimitably told in Cornwell's thrilling narrative style, The Fort is the extraordinary novel of this fascinating clash between a superpower and a nation in the making.

** Forewarning:  This enhanced edition took a staggering 18 mins to DL to my NookColor with 5 full bars of wi-fi signal showing!  **

Inspired Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

gladmornings wrote:

The Fort 

** Forewarning:  This enhanced edition took a staggering 18 mins to DL to my NookColor with 5 full bars of wi-fi signal showing!  **

After attempting to download on my PC (didn't even try on Nook yet), I got this message: 

This file type is not supported in this application. (2138)

Oh well

Contributor
cacraig
0 Kudos

Journey to the Well  

She went to the well for water. What she found there would change her life forever.

Marah is a young girl in love with her childhood friend, Jesse. When she is forced to marry an older man, she must abandon her dreams of happiness. At the mercy of men who are often only interested in using her, Marah must fight for survival. Will she ever meet a man who can save her?

The story of the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well is one of hope, redemption, and a life changed in an instant through a remarkable encounter. Jesus told her "everything she'd ever done," but we are left to wonder at the circumstances that led her life on such a tragic path to begin with. Now from the creative mind of Diana Wallis Taylor comes the full story of the woman at the well.

This well-researched portrayal of a woman's life in the time of Jesus opens a window into a fascinating world. Taylor's rich descriptions of the landscapes, lifestyles, and rituals mesh easily with the emotional and very personal story of one woman who desperately seeks to rise above the difficult circumstances of her life.

Diana Wallis Taylor is an inspirational speaker and has taught writing and poetry workshops. She has published articles and short stories and is an award-winning poet and songwriter. She lives in California.

Distinguished Correspondent
yellowrosetx
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stupid History  

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stupid-history-leland-gregory/1008155863?ean=9780740792106&itm=2&usr...

Free Friday Book

Why exactly is Paul Revere revered? Was the lightbulb really Thomas Edison's bright idea?

* Best-selling author Leland Gregory employs his masterful wit to expose historical myths, faux facts, strange events, and tales of human stupidity throughout history.

If it would shock you to learn that Benjamin Franklin didn't discover electricity, you'll appreciate this take on hundreds of historical legends and debacles. Historians and humorists alike may be surprised to learn that:

* Samuel Prescott made the famous horseback ride into Concord, not Paul Revere.

* As a member of Parliament, Isaac Newton spoke only once. He asked for an open window.

* On April 24, 1898, Spain declared war on the U.S., thus starting the Spanish-American War. The U.S. declared war the very next day, but not wanting to be outdone, had the date on the declaration changed from April 25 to April 21.

With these and many other stories, leading humorist Leland Gregory once again highlights both the strange and the funny side of humankind.

Correspondent
Alanakat

thanks everyone for posting more sexy vampire books...man I love 'em!

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Thanks everyone for posting books OTHER than sexy vampires or romances (is there a book analog for the term "chick flick"?). Nothing wrong with those genres for those who enjoy them but as a red-blooded male it often seems most of the free or discount material is targeted at those two markets. I'm looking forward to reading "The Fort" and "Stupid History". :smileyvery-happy:
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Reader 4
ChristyLynn69
0 Kudos

FYI The picture link for the Free Friday book is for the paperback book. Use the link below the picture to get the free Nook book.

Reader
areesman
0 Kudos

@ Omnigeek -- yep, the book analog for "chick flick" is "chick lit"

And I'm looking forward to The Fort and Stupid History too.

Frequent Contributor
LAX_observer
0 Kudos

@omnigeek

could not agree with you more, when is Barnes and Noble going to catch up to their customer base' requests? No grudges being held here to any fans of those genres but are there more than a bakers dozen worth of non "chick flick" e-books that arent the same price as a physical copy??

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

Can we please please please go back to only posting links to free books on this thread!?! For the last couple of months there has been more and more chatter. In the past people started new threads to discuss problems with downloads, free book selection etc.  What has been posted recently is giving a bad example to new users. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing 5 new posts on this thread and discovering that it is not new free books, but a conversation.

I am posting this with a simple plea, not to offend or tick off anyone.  If anyone wants to respond, please start a new thread. :smileywink:

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

On my birthday few days ago I found a few free titles that I liked...

The Chronicles of Gan 

Freedom Incorporated 

The Night Walk Men 

Countdown     

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos