B&N Bookseller
Megan_B

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

[ Edited ]

I understand the need to continually digress and validate our points of view on Smashwords posting vs. non-Smashwords posting.

Personally, I send new Nook customers from our store to this thread, but I'm beginning to question whether or not that is useful. The majority of posts lately have been anything BUT free books. I used to be excited telling new Nook owners that they had another great resource for finding limited time books they may actually want to read without having to sift through websites of material from random publishers. Unfortunately, this has gone so far downhill that I cringe at the idea of recommending it anymore.

For the sake of trying to help out new Nook users and fellow book lovers alike, can we please try to stay on topic? I myself have stopped looking at this thread because all I am getting via my iphone updates are 'NEW THREAD ALERT!' and it's nothing but arguing. If we want to argue maybe we need to start a brand new topic unrelated to this one.

I myself apologize for an off-topic post with no free book to attach, but I couldn't hold my tongue any longer, since this seems to have no end in sight and I miss my beloved free thread :smileysad:

Reader 4
Suuze
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting your opinion. I completely agree. I used to be excited to check this thread every day, and often found books for free that I was thrilled to have on my Nook. Sad to say, that is no longer the case. Now I sort of nonchalantly check every week or so, rarely finding anything to download.

Sorry if this offends those who are posting books these days, just had to express my disappointment.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

New Thread for Non Free Book Posts

Please Stop! :smileyvery-happy: There is the same discussion on two threads. Please Please Please - if you have something to say about the set-up of this thread, please post it on the "Official OT Free Book Thread".  While I agree that this discussion could be argued on topic, I think we all can agree that the purpose of this thread is to post free books.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS

[ Edited ]

TO

GET

US

BACK

ON 

TOPIC.......:smileysad:

I dont know how good these are and please forgive me if I repeat something but I dont think Ive seen these listed yet although I could have missed them in all the arguing and off topics.....

I Thought It Was You  

Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

Warning: the following story contains some unfinished business, some unrequited love and a whole lot of action between 3 somewhat debauched guardian angels.

Grimm's Circle, Book 2.5

The events of this free short story take place between the events of No Prince Charming and Ren's story, Crazed Hearts. It turns out both Ren and Elle had some loose ends they needed to tie up . . . and that's what this story is about. It's not Ren's happy ever after. That's in Crazed Hearts.

Hidden by Blood  

Publisher: Harlequin

An ebook exclusive Sweetblood novella.

Deep within the forests of the Pacific Northwest, two vampire coalitions battle for supremacy—Guardians who safeguard humanity and Darkbloods, rogues who will stop at nothing to satisfy their craving for the sweetest of human blood.

Now, former Army Ranger Finn McKentry finds himself imprisoned as a blood slave, forced to submit to an enemy more powerful than any he's encountered before. Only Brenna Stewart, the woman he'd loved and lost, can set him free—but the secret she harbors might lead them down the most dangerous path of all…

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne  

Publisher: Harlequin

An ebook exclusive prequel to The Steampunk Chronicles.

Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined…

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Lights, Camera... Monsters  

Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

When monsters need a makeover, they head for the one place that can make it happen. Hollywood.

Book 1, Monsters in Hollywood series.

Luke is desperate to save his people. A lifetime of sneaking in to human houses and watching movies has convinced him that if he can make a great movie about monsters, humanity will change its opinion of them. With his friends at his side, all in shiny new human bodies, Luke heads for Tinsel Town.

A rising Hollywood producer, all-business Lena knows a good story when she sees it. Luke? He’s just another amateur who wants to get famous. But Luke’s too gorgeous to pass up. And there’s something vulnerable about him that leads her to throw caution to the wind and invite him to dinner.

One night of incredible sex later, Lena wakes up next to the surprise of her life. She’s sleeping next to a monster. Literally.

Appearances aside, she finds herself wanting to help Luke save his people. But they’ve got more to worry about than just human prejudice.

Some of the monsters would rather stay in the closet—and to make them all stay there, they’re willing to kill.

yellowrosetx

[ Edited ]

Todays Free Friday:

County Line  

When the steadfast Ruby Jane Whittaker drops out of sight, dogged ex-cop Skin Kadash sets out to discover what drove the woman he loves to leave her life behind so suddenly. 

Frequent Contributor
cherryblossommj

Free NOOKbook July List as of 7/15

CHRISTIAN FICTON

Abingdon Press

Contemporary The Big Five-OH! 

Baker Publishing Group: Revell Books/Bethany House

Fantasy Heartless 

Light Of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian King Series #1)

Historical Outsider 

Daughter of Joy by Kathleen Morgan

Contemporary All Through the Night 
Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson
Invisible by Lorena McCourtney
Stuck in the Middle (Sister to Sister Series #1) by Virginia Smith

Suspense Through the Fire 

Back on Murder 

Relentless (Dominion Trilogy Series #1)  by Robin Parrish

David C. Cook

Historical Breathe  by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Tyndale House

Suspense Veiled Freedom 

Teen Fiction Taken (Left Behind Hardcover Collections Book 1) 

Zondervan

Suspense Day of War  by Cliff Graham

CHRISTIAN Non-Fiction

Baker

Love Me If You Must 

NavPress

Live Like You Mean It 

Zondervan

Craving God  - long term freebie?

Tyndale House

Leadership Prayers 

CHILDREN's Books

HarperCollins

Dixie (I Can Read Book 1 Series) 

NOOKkids Read-to-Me NOOKbooks for the NOOKcolor from Sterling/B&N:

General Market FICTION

HarperCollins

Suspense Blood, Sweat and Tea 

Adams Media Corp

Suspense County Line by Bill Cameron - FRIDAY FREEBIE 7/15

Non-Fiction

KP Books

Harry Potter Collector's Handbook 

Pearson Education

Easy Money 

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

Re: Free NOOKbook July List as of 7/15

It is truly a shame that this thread has become so off kilter.

Reader 4
gwwilli

Thank you so much for posting these free books.
aprilbabyAK

Spinning    FREE

Miss Piggy from Cheap e-Reads
https://www.facebook.com/CheapeReads
Wordsmith
swan480

aprilbabyAK wrote:

Spinning    FREE

Just FYI, when I hovered over the link the pop-up window said it was $0.01, but on the product page it says it's free.  They might fix the discrepancy later, but for now I suggest going to the product page to get the book.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews

Spinning    FREE

When you're listing free books, please provide additional detail, for example, the publisher is the indie publisher, The Story Plant,and the synopsis from the overview is:

"Dylan Hunter has it made. At 29, he has great friends, a huge job, all the women he can handle, and no commitments. A public relations executive, Dylan has dashed up the ladder of success by mastering the art of the spin - bending the truth to his and his clients' needs. But when a former lover steps back into his life with a three-year-old girl by her side (no, she's not his), Dylan suddenly finds himself in a place he can't spin himself out of. And when Dylan unexpectedly becomes the child's sole guardian, he finds himself to be like a circus performer trying to keep all of his spinning plates from crashing to the ground. In what seems like a blink of the eye, Dylan Hunter's life has changed completely...whether he's ready for it or not.

Alternately humorous and poignant, romantic and tragic, playful and dramatic, Spinning is the kind of wise, touching, emotion-packed novel readers have come to expect from Michael Baron.
"

Thanks!

Reader 4
MissyKay

I also agree with Pink_Maiden. I think people are getting quite petty here. And don't knock all Smashwords titles. The Indie Book Collective puts on periodically what they call Blog Tour de Force. It's a daisy chain where you visit indie author websites, leave a comment and they send you usually a coupon code to get a copy of their ebook for free. And usually the code is for....wait for it........SMASHWORDS! For example, they had a Blog Tour de Troops Memorial Day weekend. The theme was the brave men and women in uniform. You left a comment of why you appreciate our troops and got a free ebook from each author. That weekend, there were 35 free ebooks to collect!! And I have discovered some wonderful new authors!! So don't lump all the books together saying they are all inferior.

For those interested, a new Blog Tour de Force is coming up July 18-25. There are 15 authors this time. If you want more information, check out the website:  http://www.blogtourdeforce.com/Blog_Tour_de_Force/Home.html

The Indie Book Collective can be found at: http://www.indiebookcollective.com/IndieBookCollective/Home.html

This is a great way to discover new authors and get FREE BOOKS!! It's starts in just a few days, so I wanted to post this to give everyone a heads up. Please check it out. Most of the authors do appreciate those who receive free ebooks, to leave a review on their author site or at Smashwords (if you get a coupon to get it there) in return for the book. This is also a great way for these authors to get "publicity".

I hope everyone discovers some new and exciting authors! Have fun on the Tour!! 

MissyKay

Contributor
Cats_Meow

Historical Breathe  by Lisa Tawn Bergren is no longer free.

Contributor
Cats_Meow

Sorry, if this a repeat. :smileyvery-happy:

The Hunt  

The complex and romanticized lifestyle of elite foxhunters is revealed in this thrilling murder mystery. An attractive and wealthy lawyer and horseman, Doug Cummings personifies the old money equine subculture of Middleburg, Virginia. Driven to succeed, Cummings's climb to the top is halted when he becomes the target of a twisted scheme to frame him for the murders of his former lover and horse groom. As Cummings attempts to find the true culprits, the conflicting forces of his community offer a revealing look at how vengeance, love, and envy obscure the search for truth and justice.

Contributor
Cats_Meow

The Triumph of Grace  

Publisher: Abingdon Press

This riveting conclusion of Grace Winslow's fight for freedom carries her from England to America's Deep South. After learning that her husband, Cabeto, is on a South Carolina plantation, Grace dons a sailor's disguise and boards the only ship headed for America-a detestable slave ship. When her secret is discovered, Grace is locked up in the hold.

In South Carolina, Grace is bought immediately, but soon sold to a man who is not a slave keeper. Moved by her story of perseverance and faith, John Hull makes Grace's mission his own. Grace now has a dear brother in Christ to help her, but a restored sense of hope does not mean the path to finding Cabeto will be clear-or free of trouble . . .

Contributor
gladmornings

Smart Women Protect Their Assets  

• Publisher: Pearson Education

“This little book contains a wealth of estate planning information that every successful woman needs to know. Wynne Whitman makes complicated subjects comprehensible and outlines a plan of action that any woman can follow.”

—Liz Pulliam Weston, “the most-read personal finance columnist on the Internet” (Nielsen/NetRatings); author of Easy Money, Your Credit Score, and Deal with Your Debt

“Thanks to Wynne Whitman’s great advice, I’ve learned everything I need to know to ensure my stellar Grey Goose collection goes to the right person. But more importantly, I now know what I need to do to protect my assets as well as Chuy’s.”

—Chelsea Handler, best-selling author of Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea and My Horizontal Life; host of Chelsea Latelyon E! Entertainment Television

“I’ve worked hard all my life to support my family and was wondering what the future held for them when a friend sent me this book. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Here are the answers. Very clear with tons of information, especially about wills and how to help the family in the future.”

—Sally Jessy Raphael, Emmy Award-winning talk show host

“This book is a must read for smart women (and men). The author’s humorous writing style gets you up to speed painlessly on estate planning essentials—so your children have guardians, so you avoid taxes, and so your money and other assets go to the right people. Don’t have a will, trust, living will, or durable powers of attorney? Get them, immediately after reading this book.”

—Greg Karp, syndicated personal finance journalist and author of Living Rich by Spending Smart

Too many women still haven’t taken control of what will happen to their wealth and their assets. If you don’t plan, the government will decide who’ll act for you when you’re sick...who’ll manage your estate when you die...who’ll get everything you’ve worked for. Everyone needs to plan, but women face unique issues that are often ignored in “typical” discussions of estate planning. Smart Women Protect Their Assetsoffers the specific guidance women need to safeguard their futures and control where their assets will go. Leading estate planner Wynne A. Whitman offers smart, up-to-date, and easy-to-use advice for the scenarios millions of women will face. You’ll discover how to protect children of a previous marriage...give gifts the right way...do the easy planning that may save you nearly a million dollars...get the Living Will and Power of Attorney you simply must have...and a whole lot more. Written by a woman for women, this is a quick, focused, engaging, and practical book packed with simple checklists and “what-to-do-next” advice: information every woman can act on, right now.

• Are you risking everything?
    What you could lose if you don’t start planning now

• How to choose the right estate planning instruments for your situation
    Wills, trusts, and “fancier” options: Which are right for you and those you care about?

• What if you get sick and can’t act for yourself?
    Make sure the right person is there to make the right decisions

• How to provide peace of mind to your loved ones
    Get organized and tell your loved ones exactly what you want

• How to discuss life’s toughest topics
    Bringing it up with your husband, partner, or significant other

Scribe
lkmiller

Publisher: F+W Media

You Can Work Professionally in Comics!

Jump-start your comic book career! Creating Comics From Start to Finish tells you everything about how today's mainstream comic books are produced and published. Top working professionals detail how comics are created from concept to completion.

Dig deep into every step of the process including writing, editing, penciling, inking, coloring, lettering and even publishing. Working professionals talk candidly about breaking into (and staying in) this exciting industry.

Interviews and advice from:

Mike Marts - Editor - Batman

Mark Waid - Writer - Kingdom Come, Flash, Irredeemable

Darick Robertson - Penciler - Wolverine, The Boys, Transmetropolitan

Rodney Ramos - Inker - Green Lantern, Punisher

Brian Haberlin - Colorist - Witchblade, Spawn

Chris Eliopoulos - Letterer - Pet Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men

Joe Quesada - Chief Creative Officer - Marvel Comics

Stan Lee - Former President, Chairman - Marvel Comics

Scribe
lkmiller

Comic Books 101  

Publisher: F+W Media

So many of us struggle with finding our own voice and with knowing which skills and artistic direction to focus on in order to create a look that doesn't mirror everyone else's, but a look that we can feel good about as being uniquely our own. In this book, you are introduced to 15 contributing artists- each with a new art-making technique to share as well as a brief glimpse at their own stories of how they discovered how to make a look that is uniquely theirs. Throughout the book, author Carmen Torbus encourages you with suggestions for making your approach to the techniques unique and will help you see how to put it all together to make it work for your success.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Eye of the Storm (sequel to ''Resurrection'')  Police detective Paul Frances hunts down killers. Plagued by dreams of murder and torture, he feels like his life is falling apart, except when he's with beautiful medical examiner Brenda Wheaton. When his daughters are abducted by the serial killer from his dreams, Paul finds himself in a race against time to save the ones he loves -- and the realization that they may really need saving from him.

This is a Smashwords title that is rated at 4 stars (162 ratings)

I have not read this but it looks promising.