Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary - November 16, 2010

Stealing Jake  

Book Description
When Livy O'Brien spies a young boy jostling a man walking along the boardwalk, she recognizes the act for what it is. After all, she used to be known as Light-fingered Livy. But that was before she put her past behind her and moved to the growing town of Chestnut, Illinois, where she's helping to run an orphanage. Now she'll do almost anything to protect the street kids like herself.

Sheriff's deputy Jake Russell had no idea what he was in for when he ran into Livy--literally--while chasing down a pickpocket. With a rash of robberies and a growing number of street kids in town--as well as a loan on the family farm that needs to be paid off--Jake doesn't have time to pursue a girl. Still, he can't seem to get Livy out of his mind. He wants to get to know her better . . . but Livy isn't willing to trust any man, especially not a lawman.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary

Delivery  

Book Description
Livi finds new purpose in her troubled life when she joins her family's small-town florist shop. There, the strong and wacky Wilson's Florist gang monitors the pulse of Mount Helicon, where customers carry stories even the local newspaper does not contain. Tales of birth and death, sickness and sorrow, love and betrayal, and even forgiveness—Livi hears them all. Privy to some of the community's deepest secrets, she sometimes wishes she didn't know so much, especially when news arrives that a dear family friend is dead. Faced with servicing his funeral, she is blasted with painful memories she's struggled for decades to ignore. Soon, guilt and grief over childhood and adult tragedies close in. Instead of turning to loved ones or God for comfort, she leans on alcohol, her long-time clandestine companion—but secrets rarely escape the close-knit flower shop crew, who makes Livi's business its own. Fumbling through life's challenges together, the Wilson gang often delivers more than flowers, yet when Livi needs delivery, can the bonds of faith and friendship dissolve her defenses?

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary

40 Days without Food  

Book Description
Russ Masterson had read and heard about purpose, but didn't have a clue what his own purpose was to be. And there was emptiness where there should have been value. "I had a college degree, and soon a seminary degree to accompany it, yet I didn't know where to go or what to do." As he puts it, "I kept hoping a step would arrive when it was time to lift my foot."

Disillusioned with his life, as well as with God, he heard this advice: fast from food for 40 days. Faithless and frazzled, Russ accepted the challenge, hoping for direction, reflecting on the past, and wrestling with issues like purpose, faith, and love.

In this book, readers will find a fresh literary voice--an insightful thinker who meets people in their humanity while helping them to see they can be rescued from it. The journey of these forty days without food will help you explore what really matters i

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary - Smashword title with 4* rating

Suddenly a Spy  

Technical writer Veronica Talbot has a plan: marry prince charming, get a white picket fence and have 2.7 children. She’s found her prince charming, but the rest of the plan goes awry when a siren from his past crashes their wedding reception. Their young marriage is tested when it comes to light that Rick had a previous life—one of espionage and intrigue that he’d neglected to mention. 

Wordsmith
swan480

Re: Free NOOKbook summary - recent Story Plant title

Homefires  (The Story Plant)

"Emily Sue Harvey's first novel, Song of Renewal, was praised by New York Times bestselling author Jill Marie Landis as "an uplifting, heartwarming story," by bestselling author Kay Allenbaugh as a work that will "linger in the memory long after readers put it aside," and by Coffee Time Romance as "a must-read book for anyone doing a little soul searching." New York Times bestselling author Steve Berry said, "It captures your attention, and whets your appetite for more," while Peeking between the Pages called it "quite simply a beautiful book."

Her second novel, Homefires is set in the Deep South's Bible Belt on the eve of unprecedented moral changes. It is the story of Janeece and Kirk Crenshaw, a couple married just after their high school graduation who set out to make a life for themselves. It is a life marked by surprises, none more dramatic than when Kirk receives his "high-calling" and becomes a pastor. It is a life marked by tragedy, the most heart-rending of which is a devastating event very close to home. And it is a life marked by challenges: to their church, to their community, and most decidedly to their marriage. And as the fullness of time makes its impact on their union, Kirk and Janeece must face the question of whether they have gone as far as they can together.

Filled with the rich emotions and evocative characters that fans have come to expect from Emily Sue Harvey, and reminiscent of the work of Jan Karon and Anne Rivers Siddons, Homefires is a poignant and compelling novel that will steal readers' hearts."

***Note - this just went free (as in, I was watching for it because I saw it free for Kindle, and posted it as soon as the price went from $3.99 to free) so if the pop-up window with the buy button doesn't say it's free, try clicking on the link and going to the product page.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary - non fiction

Germs, Genes, & Civilization  

AD 452: Attila the Hun stands ready to sack Rome. No one can stop him—but he walks away. A miracle? No ... dysentery. Microbes saved the Roman Empire. Nearly a millennium later, the microbes of the Black Death ended the Middle Ages, making possible the Renaissance, western democracy, and the scientific revolution. Soon after, microbes ravaged the Americas, paving the way for their European conquest.

Again and again, microbes have shaped our health, our genetics, our history, our culture, our politics, even our religion and ethics. This book reveals much that scientists and cultural historians have learned about the pervasive interconnections between infectious microbes and humans. It also considers what our ongoing fundamental relationship with infectious microbes might mean for the future of the human species.

* The “good side” of history’s worst epidemics
* The surprising debt we owe to killer diseases
* Where diseases came from ... and where they may be going
* Children of pestilence: disease and civilization
* From Egypt to Mexico, from Rome to China
* How microbes can shape cultural cycles of puritanism and promiscuity

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Boots and Saddles  

This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'ed book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: freebie from NavPress

When I Lay My Isaac Down by Carol Kent (NavPress Publishing Group, 2004)

Change the way you think about personal challenges. Sometimes we make sacrifices to help us get ahead, to allow us more time with family, or because we believe in the cause. And then there are sacrifices in which we have no say— “Isaac experiences” as in Genesis 22— thrust upon us without warning or survival instructions. This book outlines eight transformational power principles that Gene and Carol Kent learned in the process of facing the news that forever changed their lives: Their twenty-five-year-old son, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy with an impeccable military record, shot and killed his wife's ex-husband. Jason Paul Kent, long recognized for his exemplary character, now walks a path no one could have predicted—and his family lives in the aftermath of a devastation most cannot imagine. Carol's candid retelling of her emotional and spiritual agony will touch your heart. The principles the Kents learned in the process of surviving such unspeakable circumstances will bolster your faith, renew your hope, and challenge you to new levels of personal and spiritual commitment.

About the Author

Carol Kent is a popular writer, an international speaker, and president of Speak Up Speaker Services, a Christian speakers’ bureau. Her many books include Tame Your Fears, Becoming a Woman of Influence, Mothers Have Angel Wings, and Secret Longings of the Heart.

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

My usual list links (many sale prices expected to end on 7/27):

New list links by category (if these are helpful, please rate the list as such since I'm trying to decide to go with one group or the other):

And just a couple special links:

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Freebie

Hostage in Havana  

From bestselling ABA author Noel Hynd comes this new series set against the backdrop of Havana, an explosive capital city of faded charm locked in the past and torn by political intrigue.U.S. Treasury Agent Alexandra LaDuca leaves her Manhattan home on an illegal mission to Cuba that could cost her everything. Accompanying her is the attractive but dangerous Paul Guarneri, a Cuban-born exile who lives in the gray areas of the law. Together, they plunge into subterfuge and danger. Without the support of the United States, Alex must navigate Cuban police, saboteurs, pro-Castro security forces, and an assassin who follows her from New York.Bullets fly as allies become traitors and enemies become unexpected friends. Alex, recovering from the tragic loss of her fiance a year before, reexamines faith and new love while taking readers on a fast-paced adventure. Readers of general market thrillers, such as John le Carre, David Baldacci, and Joel Rosenberg, will eagerly anticipate this first installment. 

Contributor
slkd
0 Kudos

Re: freebie from NavPress

This is a great list!  Thanks!

KirstyHaining wrote:

When I Lay My Isaac Down by Carol Kent (NavPress Publishing Group, 2004)

Change the way you think about personal challenges. Sometimes we make sacrifices to help us get ahead, to allow us more time with family, or because we believe in the cause. And then there are sacrifices in which we have no say— “Isaac experiences” as in Genesis 22— thrust upon us without warning or survival instructions. This book outlines eight transformational power principles that Gene and Carol Kent learned in the process of facing the news that forever changed their lives: Their twenty-five-year-old son, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy with an impeccable military record, shot and killed his wife's ex-husband. Jason Paul Kent, long recognized for his exemplary character, now walks a path no one could have predicted—and his family lives in the aftermath of a devastation most cannot imagine. Carol's candid retelling of her emotional and spiritual agony will touch your heart. The principles the Kents learned in the process of surviving such unspeakable circumstances will bolster your faith, renew your hope, and challenge you to new levels of personal and spiritual commitment.

About the Author

Carol Kent is a popular writer, an international speaker, and president of Speak Up Speaker Services, a Christian speakers’ bureau. Her many books include Tame Your Fears, Becoming a Woman of Influence, Mothers Have Angel Wings, and Secret Longings of the Heart.

cheers,

Kirsty

:smileyhappy:

My usual list links (many sale prices expected to end on 7/27):

New list links by category (if these are helpful, please rate the list as such since I'm trying to decide to go with one group or the other):

And just a couple special links:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Another Freebie

[ Edited ]

First Frost (Mythos Academy Series)  

I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.

My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school - Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos. Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids. The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same. . .

A prequel short story (27 pages) for Touch of Frost, the start of her new young adult Mythos Academy series.

Kensington Publishing Corporation

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
lives2read
0 Kudos

Re: Another Freebie

Just so you know it was listed as only 27 pages in one of its reviews.First Frost (Mythos Academy Series)  

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Re: Another Freebie

Know What You Don't Know  

In Know What You Don’t Know, best-selling author Michael Roberto shows leaders how to go beyond mere “problem solving” to uncover and address emerging problems while they’re still manageable–before they mushroom into disaster! Roberto first identifies the diverse, sometimes surprising reasons why problems typically fester in the shadows, ignored and unaddressed. Next, he systematically introduces seven powerful solutions. You’ll discover how to become a business “anthropologist,” observing how your employees, customers, and suppliers actually behave, not just how they’re “supposed” to behave. Roberto shows how and when to circumvent your gatekeepers to see crucial raw data...how to “connect the dots” among issues that seem unrelated, but are really signs of a deeper pattern...how to promote candor among front-line employees...encourage “useful” mistakes, and more. Along the way, Roberto offers powerful insights for overcoming the “isolation trap” so many senior executives face: the trap that can keep you assuming everything is fine, while your company’s problems are spiraling out of control!

• Watch your company’s “game film”–and your competitors’
Systematically understand how your company is really behaving and performing–and how you really match up

• Recognize the value of “small failures”
Use small problems as a window on your system–and a signal of possible weaknesses elsewhere

• Get beyond the numbers, to the reality
Discover why too much formal analysis can actually hide your problems–and start leveraging the value of intuition

• Become a true business “ethnographer”
Observe your people in their natural setting–and recognize what they’re not telling you

Pinky:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Here's Another Freebie

Powering the Future  

The future of civilization depends upon the continuous availability of sufficient energy. But we’re approaching the practical limits of some of the energy sources we depend upon most. What should be done? Few issues are as controversial. In Powering the Future, a leading scientist cuts through the controversy, presenting the facts about our energy needs, desires, and supplies and the environmental and human effects of obtaining and using energy.

Dr. Daniel B. Botkin objectively assesses the true prospects, limitations, costs, risks, dangers, and tradeoffs associated with every leading and emerging source of energy, including oil, natural gas, coal, hydroelectric, nuclear, wind, solar, ocean power, and biofuels. Next, Botkin addresses the energy distribution system, outlining how it currently works, identifying its inefficiencies, and reviewing options for improving it.Finally, Botkin turns to solutions, offering a realistic, scientifically and economically viable path to a sustainable, energy-independent future: one that can improve the quality of life for Americans and for people around the world.

• The Future of Fossil FuelsWhat can we realistically expect from oil, gas, and coal?
  • Will Alternative Energy Sources Really Matter?
  • Running the numbers on solar, wind, biofuels, and other renewables
  • Must We All Wear Sweaters and Live in Caves?
  • The right role for efficiency—and why energy minimalism isn’t the solution
  • Where We Can Start—and What Will Happen if We Don’t
  • No magic bullet, but there are sensible, realistic solutions

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Here's Another Freebie - Harlequin romance

Once a Cowboy (Harlequin American Romance #1151)  

Brodie Hayes is a former rodeo star, now a rancher--a cowboy, through and through. But when he finds out some shocking news about the circumstances of his birth, he begins to question his identity. Luckily, private investigator Alexandra Donovan is there to help him find the truth about who he is. Along the way, he discovers that even a man who thought he'd be alone for the rest of his life can fall in love.

For Brodie, love was something you did once--and for always. But is Alex the type of woman who can take on a stubborn man like him? Because there's one thing about him that will never change, no matter what they find out about his past--once a cowboy, always a cowboy.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Here's Another Freebie - Smashwords title

Syndrome  

A terrifying medical thriller in the bestselling tradition of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook

They were promised a miracle cure for the deadly diseases destroying their lives. It seemed too good to be true, but to the desperate and dying it was the only chance for survival. Now they're part of a bizarre secret experiment that reverses the aging process - an experiment gone out of control.

To stop the madness, one woman must enter a shocking nightmare world, where scientists control your body - and your mind - and living makes you beg for death.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Pearson Education weekly business freebie

Here's another freebie for this week from Pearson Education. It turned free a bit later than some of this week's titles, so some of you may have missed it.  I expect that it will go back up to full price sometime on Saturday as will the other business freebies:

Habit: The 95% of Behavior Marketers Ignore by Neale Martin (Pearson Education, 2009)

Habit begins with a revolutionary premise—95% of human behavior is controlled by the unconscious mind. This fact exposes the central flaw in marketing theory, market research, and a preponderance of business strategy—that customers are consciously aware of what they’re doing. Habit explains why 80% of new products fail, why billions of advertising dollars are wasted every year, and why even satisfied customers aren’t loyal.

In Habit, Dr. Neale Martin persuasively contends that recent research from the brain sciences reveals that our brain evolved two minds—and marketing is focused on the wrong one. By explaining how the mind actually works, Martin shows how 50 years of marketing theory is deeply flawed, and how your customers’ habits thwart even your costliest marketing campaigns.

Habit explains in practical terms how to work with both your customers’ executive and habitual minds to not only make sales but more importantly, create loyalty. You’ll discover how behavior actually rewires your customers' mind—and how to leverage this by refocusing on behavior, not on attitudes and beliefs.

Martin offers a complete process for working with customers’ unconscious and conscious minds together, to become your customer’s habit, not just their choice. Using these techniques, you can finally achieve the twin holy grails of marketing: higher customer retention, and greater long-term profitability.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

Boots and Saddles  

This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'ed book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book. 

I'm sorry to be OT on this, but this is a book from the Google Digital Library scans, and can not be downloaded to any of the Nook eReaders, just the Nook desktop applications.  All of the books with this description are from Google Books, in the public domain, and free.  Please don't clutter this discussion with these books.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply edited & moved to the FreeNookBook OT thread.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

Re: Free NOOKbook summary - non fiction OT rant

bga_reviews wrote:

kathylcsw wrote:

Boots and Saddles  

I'm sorry to be OT on this, but this is a book from the Google Digital Library scans, and can not be downloaded to any of the Nook eReaders, just the Nook desktop applications.  All of the books with this description are from Google Books, in the public domain, and free.  Please don't clutter this discussion with these books.

According to the listing it IS a Nook book. Being PDF it may not work on a the most recent Nook reader but should most certainly work on the original Nook. I take my own time to post free books that may be of interest and for my troubles I continue to get grief and rudeness. So I will make all those people who just complain but rarely bother to actually post free books happy and will no longer clutter up the discussion in my misguided attempts to help people. Find free books on your own.