Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

Re: 09/12/2011 - No Longer Free - Limited Time Freebies

Sweek Baklava was free on Friday but is now gone too.  It's $9.99.

Contributor
TShades
0 Kudos

Re: Just a note

Leading at a higher level by ken Blanchard
Retired and Loving it. It's a job and I work hard at it every day
Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD

Thanks to the Moderators - e.g., Pink_Maiden

I've been a contented N1E and NC owner for the past half year, enjoying both paid (magazines and highly acclaimed recent releases) and free content (mostly alerted by this thread).  I just want to thank Pinky for all the hard work and diligence it takes to keep track of these lists.  Managing lists can become a headache and a distraction from work.  Rest assured, your efforts are HIGHLY appreciated.  Same goes to all other contributors who post the most recent freebies to this thread.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Please note - This is only an Introduction & 1st Chapter for Leading at a Higher Lever

Please Note - This is only and introduction and the 1st chapter.

(Pearson Education)

Read the following excerpt from Leading at a Higher Level, Revised and Expanded Edition, Introduction.

Several years ago, my wife Margie and I went on a safari in South Africa with some family and friends. We had been on a number of safaris over the past 20 years, but this time I saw some things differently. The jungle appeared more vicious, competitive, and territorial than ever before. If you've ever heard a lion roar, it sends chills up your back. When our long-time guide, Gary Clarke from Topeka, Kansas, imitates the lion's roar, he shouts, "It's mine, mine, mine, mine!" That's because when the lion roars, what he's really saying is, "This is my territory. Don't mess with me." In fact, lions will kill their sons if the sons challenge their fathers' control over their territory.

The reason I saw this more vividly than ever before is that I had decided on this trip that I was going to find out as much as I possibly could about Nelson Mandela. We had been at a dinner party where people around the table were asked to share what person-of anyone in the world-they would love to have dinner with. It was a quick decision for me. I said, "Nelson Mandela. I would love to have dinner with a man who was in prison for 28 years and treated cruelly, yet came out of that experience full of love, compassion, and reconciliation." On the trip, I began to read Mandela's autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/13/2011 - Updated "Limited Time" Freebie List

Hi Kids!

Okay, we have had quite a few drop off of the list since it was last updated, here is what's left.  There aren't many new ones.

New to the list are marked with***

Nook Book "Limited Time" Freebie List - 09/13/2011

Abingdon Press

(Christian, Religious, Devotional

Christian Reference, Pastors & Studies)

Baker Publishing Group

(Christian, Religious & Historic Christianity)

Barnes & Noble Classics

(Really?)

Carina Press

(Romance, Drama

Gooseberry Patch

(Cookbooks)

Harper Collins

(Business, Children's Books, Romance,

Mystery, Reference, Religious & Spiritual)

Kimani Press

(Young Adult)

Llewellyn

(Astrology, Tarot, Wellness, Spirituality,

Magic, Paranormal, Mystery & Y&A)

Medallion Press

(Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Romance,

Paranormal, Horror, Science Fiction,

Fantasy, Steampunk & Y&A)

Osprey Publishing

(Military History Books)

Samhain

(Erotica & Sexual Content)

St. Martin's Press/Tor

(All Genres)

Tyndale House

(Christian Fiction & Non-Fiction, Bibles,

Children's Books & Christian Resources)

University of Chicago Press

(All Genres)

YMAA Publication Center

(Qigong & Chinese Martial Arts)

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Free - The Keeper by Ted Dekker - Short Story Prequel

The Keeper  

(Hachette Book Group)

Short Story - Prequel

In the Russian wasteland, a man named Talus bears a secret so terrible that it will cost him no less than his life to share it... a secret so terrible that he must share it in order to find those who will help him protect the knowledge that will one day save humanity. He has chosen two brothers, both hermit monks, to join him in his quest. But time is short... and no man is ready to receive the news that Talus must now share with them both: That they are both already dead.

THE KEEPER is the short story prequel to Forbidden, the first novel in The Books of Mortals series. First there was the Circle Trilogy. Now a new stunning epic begins.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

A Cry for Justice by Shelley Hundley

A Cry for Justice  

(Chrisma Media)

The forgotten face of Jesus as judge and advocate

The daughter of American missionaries, Shelley Hundley was born in Colombia, and grew up on the campus of a seminary that trained leaders to serve in what was one of the most violent nations in the world. After suffering abuse at the hands of a minister in the community, she turns from God—angry and confused that He could allow this to happen.

In A Cry for Justice, Hundley uses her story as a backdrop to show how she found healing from the pain, guilt, and shame of the abuse she endured as a child and how she came to know Jesus in a new way—as a righteous judge who fights for His people and takes upon Himself the burden of our injustices and pain.

The story of Shelley Hundley’s journey from bitter atheist to wholehearted lover of God is unique. Yet what she learned on this journey is relevant to every person who has ever been hurt and has silently wondered, “Who will fight for me? Who can make the wrong things right?”

Discover how Jesus would change your world today.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/13/2011 - Perennial List - Bibles, Educational, Etc. - No Changes

There have been no changes to this list since it was last posted

Nook Book "Perennial" Freebie List - 09/13/2011

Bibles, Educational, Government, Religious Reference, Television & Reference

A&E Television Networks

(TV Show Script)

Abu Dhabi Judicial Department

(Government)

Holman Bible Publishers

(Bibles)

House Studio/Nazarene Publishing

(Religious/Spiritual)

John Wiley & Sons

(Scientific, Technical, Medical Journals,

Encyclopedias & Educational)

Lonely Planet

(Travel Guides/Information)

MIT Press

(Information, Science & Technology)

Reference Works from MobileReference

(These are mostly short excerpts promoting paid

versions, but probably useful on their own)

Russell Enterprises

Tharpa Publications

(Buddhism & Meditation)

US Government

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/13/2011 - Perennial List - N - Z

We had a few drop off of this list since it was last posted

Part 2  Listing N -- Z

Nightshade Books

(Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror)

Random House

(All Genres)

Samhain

(Reported that most are shorts & teasers)

Simon & Schuster

(All Genres)

Smith & Kraus

(Where Life Meets Theater)

Soho

(Women's & YA Girls)

Sourcebooks

(Fiction, Non-Fiction, Romance, Erotic,

Historical, Paranormal, Suspense,

Western & Casablanca Classics)

St. Martin's Press/Tor

(All Genres)

Books Just For Children From Sterling & Barnes & Noble

(NOOKkids Read-to-Me NOOKBooks - NOOKColor Only)

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/13/2011 - Updated Perennial List - A - M

Okay, we have had a few drop off of this list. I thought I would post it for the newcomers to the thread.

Part 1  Listing A -- M

Adams Media

(Funny, Helpful & Inspiring)

Baker Publishing Group

Beverly Tobocman

(Self Published)

Candlewick Press

(Children's & Y&A)

Carina Press

(All Genres of Romance)

Dorchester Publishing

(Romance, Western, Horror & Thrillers)

Ellora's Cave

(Eroctia & Sexual Content)

Galaxy Press

(Science Fiction, Mystery, Thriller,

Adventure, Fantasy & Western)

Hachette

(All Genres)

Harlequin (and its Imprints)

(Romance)

Harelquin Teens

(Y&A Romance)

Harper Collins

Luna

(Biographical Series)

MPS

(Not sure about this one)

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

freebie

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Info for The Faith of Ashish - No Book Cover Avail.

Never Doubt That the Unending Love of a Father-or the Pure Faith of a Child-Can Change Lives

"His name is Ashish. His name is blessing. The boy is my blessing."

Virat and Latha named their son Ashish, for he is the light and glory of their world. Yet a simple drink of water changes all their lives forever. For Virat, Latha, and Ashish are Untouchables, members of a caste who must never contaminate the world of the other, higher, castes.

When Ashish mistakenly drinks from the wrong cup, he's badly beaten. Knowing that his son needs a doctor-which takes money-Virat ventures into the dangerous realm of the high caste. He begs Mammen Samuel Varghese, the wealthy landowner and Christian, for money. He receives the loan-along with a life of slavery for himself and his family.

But Mammen Samuel does not understand the strength of a father's love, the power of a young British nurse who could not forget a boy named Blessing-or the faith of a child.

Pinky

Frequent Contributor
cherryblossommj

Re: Info for The Faith of Ashish - No Book Cover Avail.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

The NIV Gospel of John: With Devotional Notes

The NIV Gospel of John  

(Zondervan)

'John's Gospel sheds a unique light not only on the ministry of Jesus Christ, but also on the nature of his relationship with God the Father. This eBook also includes a special section of 'Subjects on the Theme of Salvation' that gives insight into 15 subjects of salvation.

NIV 2011. The New International Version (NIV) translation of the Bible is the world's most popular modern-English Bible---easy to understand, yet rich with the detail found in the original languages.'

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Repeat Freebie - When the Devil Whistles

When the Devil Whistles  

(Abingdon Press)

"I didn't have a choice. I didn't." That's what Allie Whitman tells herself every night as she lies awake. Sometimes she even believes it. But mostly she knows deep down that her inability to make a hard choice has put millions of lives at risk, including her own. Now the only one who can help her is her lawyer, Connor Norman. Unfortunately, Allie's actions have destroyed Connor's trust in her-and may destroy much, much more.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Another Repeat Freebie - Shrouded in Silence

Shrouded in Silence  

(Abingdon Press)

Determined to find an answer, Jack and Michelle Townsend set out on a quest to find the original ending to the Gospel of Mark.

Following ancient clues, they head for Rome, but what starts out as a scholarly search turns violent as two separate groups strive to stop the Townsends, plunging their quiet research into chaos.

After a bomb destroys their office, the Townsends are pushed to the limits of their determination and commitment to God's will. Can faith in God's purposes endure in a swirl of conspiracy and espionage that brings the couple to the brink of death?

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: free from Abingdon Press

You Can't Do EVERYthing ... So Do SOMEthing  by Shane Stanford (Abingdon Press, 2010)

Shane Stanford says: "On my office wall is a picture of a small child who lives in a remote village in sub-Saharan Africa. She is an orphan, having lost most of her family to the HIV/AIDS crisis. Each day, the little girl eats only half of her meager lunch. She takes the other half and puts it into her travel sack, so that she can take the leftovers to her dying aunt. The world might look at this child and assess that her little life has little to offer. But don't tell the child's aunt. Without this child's sacrifice and maturity, her aunt would have no food and would die. In spite of this child not being able to do much for her dying aunt, she does something, every day. The real need for our world is not that we do every part; it's that we just do our part. And working together to do that something God calls us to do--all of us working together--we will transform this world."

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

1 Freebie from Samhain Publishing

[ Edited ]

French Quarter (Hot in the City Series #1)  

(Samhain Publishing)

The decadence of Bourbon Street is beckoning…

When prim, proper Liz Marsh suspects her fiancé is cheating on her, she’s almost too embarrassed to hire a P.I. to prove it. And when she gathers her courage and walks into Jack Wade’s office, she has no idea he’ll be the sexiest man she’s ever encountered, nor that his light Cajun accent will make her tingle in all the wrong—or is that right?—places.

After Jack brings her questionable yet undeniably arousing evidence, the only solution is for Liz to get a closer look with her own eyes. And Jack is more than happy to show her everything she’s been missing. One night in the French Quarter’s entrancing red light district, and Liz finds herself caught up in the provocative allure of an erotic new atmosphere and the sudden, urgent need to experience it for herself—with Jack.

Jack’s normally a keep-it-casual guy, but as nights with Liz get hotter, so do Jack’s feelings for the seductive woman in his arms. Bourbon Street decadence beckons and Liz embarks on a sizzling journey of sexual awakening that has her more willing to shed her inhibitions minute by carnal minute. But someone else has noticed her insatiable appetite for sensual adventure, someone who’s just beginning to realize what he’s lost—and who’s determined to tear Jack and Liz apart…

Warning: Contains sizzling hot sex any way she wants it—and a man (or two) more than willing to show her the ropes. Let the good times roll, baby!

Note-I did not write this last part, lol

Pinky

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/15/2011 - Updated "Limited Time" Freebie List

Hi Kids!

Okay, we have had only had one drop off the list, Once a Princess (Samhain). Here is the updated list.

New to the list are marked with***

Nook Book "Limited Time" Freebie List - 09/15/2011

Abingdon Press

(Christian, Religious, Devotional

Christian Reference, Pastors & Studies)

Baker Publishing Group

Barnes & Noble Classics

(Really?)

Carina Press

(Romance, Drama

Charisma Media

(Religious, Christian)

Gooseberry Patch

(Cookbooks)

Hachette

(All Genres)

Harper Collins

Kimani Press

(Young Adult)

Llewellyn

(Astrology, Tarot, Wellness, Spirituality,

Magic, Paranormal, Mystery & Y&A)

Medallion Press

(Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Romance,

Paranormal, Horror, Science Fiction,

Fantasy, Steampunk & Y&A)

Osprey Publishing

(Military History Books)

Samhain

St. Martin's Press/Tor

(All Genres)

Tyndale House

(Christian Fiction & Non-Fiction, Bibles,

Children's Books & Christian Resources)

University of Chicago Press

(All Genres)

YMAA Publication Center

(Qigong & Chinese Martial Arts)

Zondervan

(Christian, Religion)

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Free Friday, September 16, 2011: Summer of Fire

Free Friday

Summer of Fire  

by Linda Jacobs

(Medallion Press Inc.)

It is 1988, and Yellowstone Park is on fire. Among the thousands of summer warriors battling to save America's crown jewel, is single mother Clare Chance. 

Having just watched her best friend, a fellow Texas firefighter, die in a roof collapse, she has fled to Montana to try and put the memory behind her. She's not the only one fighting personal demons as well as the fiery dragon threatening to consume the park. There's Chris Deering, a Vietnam veteran helicopter pilot, seeking his next adrenaline high and a good time that doesn't include his wife, and Ranger Steve Haywood, a man scarred by the loss of his wife and baby in a plane crash. They rally around Clare when tragedy strikes yet again, and she loses a young soldier to a firestorm. 

Three flawed, wounded people; one horrific blaze. Its tentacles are encircling the park, coming ever closer, threatening to cut them off. The landmark Old Faithful Inn and Park Headquarters at Mammoth are under siege, and now there's a helicopter down, missing, somewhere in the path of the conflagration. And Clare's daughter is on it.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!