Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Poll - list by publisher or by genre?

[ Edited ]

There were a lot of voices from people that they prefer the freebie list grouped by genre as opposed to by publisher (some think it's the same, but often it's really not). I'll try to compile the freebie list starting tomorrow, but I don't think the no longer free list is needed - just always watch the price before clicking "buy". If anybody else would like to continue composing and posting the list they are more then welcome to.

 

Vote here: http://poll.pollcode.com/6Wp

 

ZAY
Contributor
ZAY
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎05-05-2010

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

Sorry to see you go Pinky, such a shame BUT I will follow your new blog!!!  I'll just have to add a new favorite link to my list!!!

~Zuly~
Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎06-17-2011

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

Pinky, it’s disheartening that one or two people (the minority) can ruin everything for the rest of us (the majority) who enjoyed your posts. We will miss your enthusiasm, spirit, and presence. Everyday I looked forward to seeing your cute avatar, knowing you were going to put a spark in my day. Please know that your efforts were greatly welcomed and appreciated. I will be checking your blog from now on.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists


AVID-JT wrote:

Pinky, it’s disheartening that one or two people (the minority) can ruin everything for the rest of us (the majority) who enjoyed your posts. We will miss your enthusiasm, spirit, and presence. Everyday I looked forward to seeing your cute avatar, knowing you were going to put a spark in my day. Please know that your efforts were greatly welcomed and appreciated. I will be checking your blog from now on.


You are assuming that you are in the majority.  Everyone does not post what they think.  Most people just read posts and you have no idea at all what they are thinking.

Just sayin...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

Everybody please move the OT discussion to the appropriate thread. This thread is for posting freebies only.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 903
Registered: ‎01-25-2011

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

spec, since when are you the boss of the thread?  We had a discussion some time ago about various topics related to this thread that some people thought were off-topic -- like the fact that some formerly free books were no longer free.  Note:  I wouldn't actually reply here if it wasn't for the way you seem to have taken control and issued edicts.

 

I like the way Pinky organized and presented her list.  Others probably have different views but her presentation was more valuable to me than your posts have been because it was condensed and sorted.  Adding in the material from the Free Fridays blog kept a single unified updated list that was easy to use -- there is real value in that.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists


Omnigeek wrote:

spec, since when are you the boss of the thread?  We had a discussion some time ago about various topics related to this thread that some people thought were off-topic -- like the fact that some formerly free books were no longer free.  Note:  I wouldn't actually reply here if it wasn't for the way you seem to have taken control and issued edicts.

 

I like the way Pinky organized and presented her list.  Others probably have different views but her presentation was more valuable to me than your posts have been because it was condensed and sorted.  Adding in the material from the Free Fridays blog kept a single unified updated list that was easy to use -- there is real value in that.


First of all, as I've said mulitple times, I'm not a boss of anything and I'm not presenting myself to be anything like that. I would only like to continue posting free books here, that's all. It sounds like you have an idea for what this thread should look like, so I think you should be the boss. You have my vote.

 

As far as the way list should look like, It would be great to insert a sortable table here, but it's not possible. It can be sorted/grouped only 1 way. Which is I proposed a vote. Right now 77% of the voters said they'd prefer grouping by genre. I said I'd post new limited time freebie list tomorrow, right now most people want by genre, should I post 2 of them with each grouping? If anybody else wants to do that they are welcome to do that too. Let's continue discussion in OT thread...

Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎09-13-2011

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

Suggestions: 

 

1) Lists should be a compilation of everyone's finds as what Doug and Pinky attempted to coordinate. It doesn't matter how these lists are organized.  We need everyone to understand that personal "finds" will be recapped under this consolidated list.  Spec - you need to remember this - otherwise someone else in the future will also react the way that you did - not wanting their "finds" recapped by the moderator.  You can be the moderator (in fact, most likely it should be you since others are now apprehensive about raising their hands) - just understand that you cannot claim exclusivity of your own "finds".  I know you won't be paid to function as moderator so nobody should have hard feelings towards you.  You will eventually earn the goodwill from new and returning visitors to this thread.

 

2) Lists are best to come out only once a week - it looks like Wednesdays and Fridays will work best.

 

3) All other posts in other threads related to free books should be redirected to this thread, so people will know that this is the intended repository of all "finds", including Free Fridays.

 

I don't know if this is possible since history and human nature tends to repeat itself. 

 

I hope the "unpaid" and "good-hearted" moderators can make this (or maybe a more comprehensive list of "guidelines") a sticky so that any drifters can be pointed back to these "gentle reminders". 

 

I know that I for one, did not know that a "bargain find" list was in some other thread when I posted about a heavily discounted book and I learned from that.  Actually, I am not good in "discovering" new freebies, which is why this thread was really helpful from way, way back before I even signed to be a member of the community.

 

Pleaes do not get angry that I posted this thread.  I am hoping this will expounded into a sticky and as such is appropriate to be in this thread.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
Posts: 590
Registered: ‎03-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

[ Edited ]

There is no moderator or boss of this list (except the B&N moderators that control the B&N forumes).

 

This list is available to anyone who wants to post here, but if you do, please follow the already-established format of this thread which has been previously hashed out here--i.e.;

 

post free Nookbooks of note (Smashwords are discouraged unless they are especially worthy-- there is a separate Smashwords list), and it is preferred to use the "Add Product" link when you post, including the book picture and description. 

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎02-25-2010

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

Best wishes to Pinky! I've been using his thread since Doug made it back in the day (it was so much easier than following inkmesh) and I greatly appreciate your efforts to maintain the various lists and keep us updated on free ebooks. I look forward to reading the updates on your blog!

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Re: New Free NookBooks Lists

[ Edited ]

BrownskinsCD wrote:
...


I hope you don't mind me responding in the OT thread here.

Reader 4
MissyKay
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-28-2010

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

:smileymad:Now, now, okay children - let's shake hands, return to your corners and play nice now!:smileyvery-happy:

 

This really got out of hand. I, too, have been using this thread since Doug had it to find new Nookbooks. It's been really helpful. However, I didn't realize it was a competition or that people held "copyrights" on "finding a freebie"! The whole point of the threads are to have a resource for free books. It shouldn't be a competition. It shouldn't be such a big deal who found the freebie. There shouldn't be any "credit" except by the publishers & authors who originally list the books for free. There are numerous places someone could have happened on a free book and decide to post here for others. 

 

After reading the posts, in my opinion, it seems that egos got riled and bruised and egos are NOT what these threads are about. I'm not speaking to any one individual, but to all in general. I think a good solution to the situation would have been for spec and pinky to post each others links on their respective threads so that users could be directed to both. They are both good threads. I like that this thread is updated almost daily, but when I checked out spec's (which I hadn't know of until this argument got started), I liked the way his was by genres. If they linked to each other's then I'm sure there are readers out there, me included, who would follow both threads. 

 

This isn't a competition. This is the B&N COMMUNITY! Community as I know it means we work together. It's really sad to see that the issue got out of hand, so much that I can't even figure out what started the whole thing. I know it's cliche' but: Can't we all just get along?!?!

 

One suggestion, since this thread is 90 pages now: I know the first few pages Doug had lists of links for looking up freebies, but the majority of the pages in the middle are pretty much expired. I know that Pinky reposted like Doug's Perennial free books, and of course updating the weekly ones. Is there a way that like pages 10-70 could just be deleted? Can the expired posts be removed to remove the clutter? Personally, I have the last page of the thread bookmarked, so when I check it I can just go to the last page I had been on. Then if there are some new pages, after I get my free books, I replace the bookmark with the new last page. Just a suggestion that might help others.

 

Now for the wisdom from "All I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten" (by Robert Fulgham) that I feel might apply to this whole thing:

 

Think of what a better world it would be if we all ~the whole world had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankets for a nap. . . .And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

 

So let's all hold hands and stick together! :smileyvery-happy:

As for me, I'm gonna get my cookies & milk and take a nap! OOPS - almost forgot my blanky! Nighty night! :smileytongue:

Contributor
pisceschick
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎04-05-2011

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cookie Swap Cookbook  

 

Everything you need to know to host a cookie exchange! You'll find easy-to-follow how-to's with a handy checklist to make swapping a cinch, clever invitations and a recipe card to copy and color, tried & true recipes plus nifty ideas for packaging and presenting cookies. Try nutty butterscotch squares, chocolate-vanilla swirl cookies, magical creme wafers, chocolate peanut butter secrets and more, including recipes for fudge, caramels and hard tack candy too!

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

A Wee Christmas Homicide

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Wee Christmas Homicide  

 

(Kensington Publishing Corporation)

 

'Tis the season to be jolly, but in Moosetookalook, Maine, Christmas cheer is in short supply due to a snowless winter that's keeping skiers and shoppers at a distance. Fortunately, Liss MacCrimmon of the Scottish Emporium has a plan...

Liss's brainstorm focuses on Tiny Teddies, the new "hot" toy of the season. Every store across the country is out of stock—except a few wee establishments in good ol' Moosetookalook.

The first sign of something amiss occurs when the last Tiny Teddy is summarily executed: shot through the heart in the display window of greedy toy store owner Gavin Thorne. But the Teddy's demise is just a precursor to the eerily similar murder of Gavin himself...

Now, with the Twelve (or, in Scots terms, the Daft) Days of Christmas rapidly approaching, Liss has a plate full of things worse than haggis to contend with, starting with a stockroom packed with poultry (don't ask), and ending with a killer who'd like to see Liss's goose well and fully cooked...

"A picturesque location, a bit of romance, some suspense, and a cast of appealingly quirky characters." —Booklist

"The blend of romance and cozy mystery will please lovers of all things Scottish." —Kirkus Reviews

"Perfect for the holiday season." —Romantic Times

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
Posts: 590
Registered: ‎03-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - How to get the updated posts

[ Edited ]

MissyKay wrote:

 

One suggestion, since this thread is 90 pages now: I know the first few pages Doug had lists of links for looking up freebies, but the majority of the pages in the middle are pretty much expired. I know that Pinky reposted like Doug's Perennial free books, and of course updating the weekly ones. Is there a way that like pages 10-70 could just be deleted? Can the expired posts be removed to remove the clutter? Personally, I have the last page of the thread bookmarked, so when I check it I can just go to the last page I had been on. Then if there are some new pages, after I get my free books, I replace the bookmark with the new last page. Just a suggestion that might help others.

 




I'm only replying here because it's come up a couple of times in this thread. Any continued  discussion of this should be in the OT thread.

 

The short answer is no, the earlier posts cannot be deleted. There are a couple of very easy ways to keep up with the most recent posts:

 

1. in Thread options, select "Float this thread to the top" - then every time you visit the forum, click the number to the right of the list title under "New." That will take you directly to the most recent threads.

2. in Thread options select "Subscribe to this message's RSS feed" 

3. After you subscribe or post something in a  thread, you get a daily email from B&N with updates to the thread.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - How to get the updated posts


javabird wrote:

MissyKay wrote:

 

One suggestion, since this thread is 90 pages now: I know the first few pages Doug had lists of links for looking up freebies, but the majority of the pages in the middle are pretty much expired. I know that Pinky reposted like Doug's Perennial free books, and of course updating the weekly ones. Is there a way that like pages 10-70 could just be deleted? Can the expired posts be removed to remove the clutter? Personally, I have the last page of the thread bookmarked, so when I check it I can just go to the last page I had been on. Then if there are some new pages, after I get my free books, I replace the bookmark with the new last page. Just a suggestion that might help others.

 




I'm only replying here because it's come up a couple of times in this thread. Any continued  discussion of this should be in the OT thread.

 

The short answer is no, the earlier posts cannot be deleted. There are a couple of very easy ways to keep up with the most recent posts:

 

1. in Thread options, select "Float this thread to the top" - then every time you visit the forum, click the number to the right of the list title under "New." That will take you directly to the most recent threads.

2. in Thread options select "Subscribe to this message's RSS feed" 

3. After you subscribe or post something in a  thread, you get a daily email from B&N with updates to the thread.

 


4. What I do is under "Thread Options" I click "Bookmark" for this thread. Then if you go to http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com on the bottom of the page you will have bookmarked threads. If the number in the "New" column is greater than 0, it means there are new posts. You can click on that number to go to first unread post and continue on until last post.

 

Contributor
racertj5
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-03-2011

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - How to get the updated posts

well, this thread is dead. See everyone at Pinkys blog

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

10/25/2011 - Updated "Limited Time" Freebie List

[ Edited ]
Nook Book "Limited Time" Freebie List - 10/25/2011

 

List is grouped by genre (voted here), after the title in first parentesis is the publisher, second parentesis is when the book was released as free, wherever available. Suggestions for improvements would be appreciated (in OT thread please).

 

Memoirs

Cookbook

Erotica

Computers & Internet

Education

Romance

Mystery & Thrillers

Children's

Historical Fiction

Health, Mind & Body

Business

Literary Fiction

Science Fiction

Travel

Contemporary Fiction

Gay & Lesbian

Science

Women Sleuths

Religious Fiction

Literary Criticism

Sports

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

10/26 - 3 freebies

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One Imperfect Christmas  

 

(Abingdon)

 

Graphic designer Natalie Pearce faces the most difficult Christmas of her life. For almost a year, her mother has lain in a nursing home, the victim of a massive stroke, and Natalie blames herself for not being there when it happened. Worse, she's allowed the monstrous load of guilt to drive a wedge between her and everyone she loves-most of all her husband Daniel. Her marriage is on the verge of dissolving, her prayer life is suffering, and she's one Christmas away from hitting rock bottom.

Junior-high basketball coach Daniel Pearce is at his wit's end. Nothing he's done has been able to break through the wall Natalie has erected between them. And their daughter Lissa's adolescent rebellion isn't helping matters. As Daniel's hope reaches its lowest ebb, he wonders if this Christmas will spell the end of his marriage and the loss of everything he holds dear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Lord Is My Shepherd (Psalm 23 Mysteries Series #1)  

 

(Abingdon)

 

Cindy's church is getting ready to celebrate Easter, and Jeremiah's Temple is preparing for Passover when Cindy literally stumbles over the body of an unknown man lying dead in the sanctuary. The church was locked, and a bloody cross necklace on the floor seems to be the only clue. The killer is likely a member of the congregation, but there are hints that similar deaths have happened in the past. Are Cindy and Jeremiah dealing with a serial killer? They have to unravel the clues before Easter Sunday arrives and more people die.
Cindy and Jeremiah come from two different worlds, even though they work right next door to each other. Cindy is a strong Christian who lives a normal but somewhat dull life, working as a church secretary. Jeremiah is a Reformed rabbi with a mysterious past full of danger and excitement. But one eventful Easter/Passover week, the two find themselves working together to solve a murder and stop a serial killer from striking again. Solving the mystery should put an end to their alliance, but the church secretary and the rabbi quickly find themselves enmeshed in another mystery. Soon the two form a friendly alliance and friendship, exploring personal history and faith and growing closer with each passing adventure. Despite their differences Cindy and Jeremiah find a lot of common ground.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lyric's Cop (Crime Tells, Book One)  

 

(Ellora's Cave)

 

Book 1 in the Crime Tells series.

Solving a case about pilfered pooches is pretty tame work for a vice cop, but when the victim is your grandmother, well.the police take care of their own. Trouble is, one look at Lyric Montgomery, the PI his grandmother has hired to recover her stolen dachshunds, and Kieran Burke knows he's got a problem. He's never been turned on so fast-or so attracted to a hellion with a reputation for breaking the law.

Lyric Montgomery can't believe she's falling for a cop. She's always had a little problem staying inside the lines, and Kieran is definitely a complication she doesn't need. But his dominant, I'm-in-control attitude tempts her like fire tempts a pyromaniac.

Kieran may lay down the rules, but he quickly finds out that for Lyric, breaking them is half the fun, especially when it drives him crazy and evokes his special brand of "punishment".

As the trail heats up, it isn't the only thing burning hot enough to melt steel. Bad boy Kieran finds the only way to keep his sexy little pet detective safe may be tying her to his bed-permanently.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - How to get the updated posts


racertj5 wrote:

well, this thread is dead. See everyone at Pinkys blog


Not me so it won't be everyone.

►Without order there is chaos◄