Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Free Zondervan titles that disappeared are back again

FYI, the three freebie Zondervan titles discussed this morning are back on the website, and still listed as free:

That Is So Me

Starlighter

The Aedyn Chronicles

Frequent Contributor
LadyRahl

Re: Free Zondervan titles that disappeared are back again

Frequent Contributor
LadyRahl

Found this too

The Book of Adam

Frequent Contributor
LadyRahl

Re: Found this too

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

LadyRahl: Smashwords has almost 2000 free NOOKbooks available here. Listing them all would be a nearly impossible task, which is why I don't bother mentioning them unless there's a title that I think is really exceptional or would be of special interest. I'm a big fan of Smashwords, and especially of some of their free titles, but there are only so many hours in the day for making lists.

You're certainly welcome to mention whatever you want; I don't own this thread and I don't want to own it. But I just thought you might want to know that it's a really deep well that you're working in. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
LadyRahl

Yeah I realized that... I just couldn't stop myself once I figured out how to link the picture and page.  I felt super chuffed so I just went crazy.  

I like your lists better.  

Frequent Contributor
LadyRahl

Question though about Smashwords.... what format should I use to download if I find something I want to put on my nook?  Is there a certain one? 

I assume to get it ONTO my nook I just plug my nook into my computer and then drag the file on over.

Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000

I always download the epub format, directly onto my nook (just browse smashwords on your nook, just like you do b&n's website to shop there). It'll go into your "downloads" file folder in your library :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

If you are buying these smaswords from B@N they will download directly into your B@N library, same as all the other B&N listed epub books.  

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

Re: Free Zondervan titles disappeared

Doug_Pardee wrote:

BooksOnTheKnob wrote:

All three Zondervan titles seem to have been pulled from the Store.  For those who don't mind plain epub, I have links to them on my blog (and Kindle, of course) from a non-BN source.

Thanks, Karen. The stuff that goes on at BN.com sometimes makes my head spin. I think I've said that before. :smileytongue:

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what's up with the "Harlequin 16" freebie His Lady Mistress, by Elizabeth Rolls? It seems to have been sucked into a black hole somewhere on BN.com. It's no longer available in either e-book or printed form (except used). I see that over at Amazon, it's still available in Kindle and large-print hardcover — I've never seen a Harlequin title at over $45 before — but the Kindle version isn't free. It's still listed for free at harlequincelebrates.com. [boggle]

I'm not sure why it isn't free anymore. One other has the same status at Amazon (available, but not free), while two others have been pulled into that same black hole there. I originally assumed they pulled them for errors, but they've never come back, so either there was a rights issue or no one cares to fix a book that they are not charging anyone for.

As for crazy print prices - I see that all the time on out of print books, where third party sellers are selling "collectible" copies (first edition, mint condition, with or without signatures). Doesn't mean anyone is buying, them, though.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

geatdanemomDT wrote:

If you are buying these smaswords from B@N they will download directly into your B@N library, same as all the other B&N listed epub books.  

Yes, but if you add a few thousand of them, your nook will stop sync'ing (you'll have to at least archive a bunch).

Easier by far to get from Smashwords and keep in Calibre, then only add the ones to your nook that you are areading.

Karen
Books on the Knob
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

@LadyRahl

Thanks for posting the books. I did notice that I could not download both Amnar books. After downloading one, it said I already had it when trying to download the second.

Apparently B&N does not distinguish between the two titles and they just appear as Amnar. It appears they may even have the same "number code" for the file name.

So I deleted the B&N version and got both directly from Smashwords, who uses book names as their file name scheme.

It's frustrating when B&N assigns the series name to a file instead of the title.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

Doug,  I know links to other sites are not allowed, but there are a half-dozen or so free books at Sony this morning. I've got links to them all on my blog, for anyone interested. Seems to be mostly English writers and new/upcoming books. Most likely a pricing error that won't last.

Karen
Books on the Knob
Doug_Pardee

Thanks, Karen. I covered most of them in this posting: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-LLewellyn-e-books-available-elsewher... but there are a few others.

Doug_Pardee

Free Promo NOOKbook summary - January 14, 2011

[ Edited ]

This is my list of limited-time promotional NOOKbooks. I'm just listing the titles, without the covers. You can mouse over the title to see the cover if you want.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content, and are about the only free promotional titles available to Canadians. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's books.

FREE FRIDAYS still available:

Free Since 01/14/2011:

Free since 12/15/2010 or earlier:

Other FREE NOOKbooks:

Free since 01/10/2011:

Free since 01/07/2011:

Free since 01/06/2011:

Free since 01/05/2011:

Free since 01/04/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Free since 01/01/2011:

Free since 12/26/2010:

Free since 12/21/2010:

Free since 12/15/2010:

Free since 12/02/2010:

Free since 11/29/2010:

Free since 11/16/2010:

My list of perennially FREE NOOKbooks: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

B&N's FREE NOOKbook page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668

Doug_Pardee

Living with the Himalayan Masters - Free Fridays offering

Doug_Pardee

No longer free

[ Edited ]
Doug_Pardee

Big Girls Don't Die - free NOOKbook

[ Edited ]

Since this title is from Samhain, expect some adult content.

Big Girls Don't Die [Samhain]

From the Publisher

Six months ago, Andre St. James committed the ultimate one-night-stand party foul by turning Cynthiana into the spawn of Satan--also known as a vampire. He insisted he knew they were meant to be together forever and ever, so why wait for her to be on the same page with him to suck the life out of her?

What. Ever. The only thing the two of them share is chemistry that blasts off the charts. So she dropkicked him out of her life and told him to never come back. He listened. Until now.

Andre knows Cyn has trouble dealing with his take-no-prisoners approach to life, and that turning her against her will was a mistake. But he's got patience born of centuries of immortality, and he'll do whatever it takes to get back into her good graces and stay there forever. Including wait until she has no choice but to turn to him.

After all, no one understands forever like a vampire. He's loved her from the moment he saw her--and he always will.

_This book has been previously published and has been revised from its original release._

Doug_Pardee

Perennial free NOOKbooks (not samples)

[ Edited ]

Here's a list of NOOKbooks that seem to always be free, so I don't include them on my promos list. Here again, I'm not including the Smashwords titles because there are about 2000 of those and I'm too lazy to put them all here. I'm also leaving off free samples and excerpts.

Most of these are romances and/or shorts. A few are reportedly teasers, and probably shouldn't be on this list.

From Sterling/B&N, NOOKkids Read-to-Me NOOKbooks for the NOOKcolor:

From Harlequin and its imprints:

From Samhain (read the cautionary notes):

From Ellora's Cave:

From Hachette:

From Random House:

From Macmillan publishers:

From Hyperion (Disney):

From A&E Television:

From MPS:

From Lonely Planet:

Reference works from MobileReference (these are mostly short excerpts promoting paid versions, but probably useful on their own):

Bibles: