Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love - free NOOKbook

I Love You This Much (age 4-7) [Zonderkidz (Zondervan)]

From the Publisher

Share God's love for his children through this moving story about the love between a parent and child. This sweet little tale is based on a beautiful lullaby, I Love You This Much, sung by a parent to a child, as a gentle reminder to children of just how much they are loved by their earthly parents — as well as their heavenly Father. Filled with picturesque illustrations that reflect the soothing melody and gentle words, you and your child will treasure the precious moments shared together with this wonderful story, I Love You This Much.

Doug_Pardee

Vanished - free NOOKbook

Vanished (age 9-12) [Zonderkidz (Zondervan)]

From the Publisher

Too much to handle?

Twelve-year-old Jeri McKane knew that attending boarding school hundreds of miles from home would be hard, but she never imagined anything like this. Her mom—too busy to even answer Jeri's phone calls and emails—sends the devastating word that she can't make it to Parents' Weekend. Then the school bus carrying Jeri's roommate Rosa mysteriously disappears. A natural sleuth, Jeri knows there are leads to be followed and follows her instincts to discover new dimensions of faith and courage. Can Jeri continue to trust God even in the most confusing of times?

Doug_Pardee

Free Promo NOOKbook summary - January 31, 2011

[ Edited ]

Thanks to darkangel_1988 for the assistance.

Looks like the end-of-month activity is picking up. Kensington, Tyndale House, and Zonderkidz are back; I expect Zondervan to be changing out their offerings very soon. Thomas Nelson, Sourcebooks, Vanguard, Soho, and Dorchester are still on the sidelines, and Samhain only has the one title in addition to their four perennials. I wonder if we're going to see a free L. Ron Hubbard for February; they'd only promised monthly freebies for last year.

This is my list of limited-time promotional NOOKbooks. I'm just listing the titles, without the covers. You can mouse over the title to see the cover if you want.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content, and are about the only free promotional titles available to Canadians. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's books.

FREE FRIDAYS still available:

Free since 01/18/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Other FREE NOOKbooks:

Free since 01/31/2011:

Free since 01/30/2011:

Free since 01/29/2011:

Free since 01/27/2011:

Free since 01/04/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Free since 01/01/2011:

Free since 12/21/2010:

Free since 12/02/2010:

Free since 11/16/2010:

My list of perennially FREE NOOKbooks: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

B&N's FREE NOOKbook page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668

Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NOOKbook summary - January 31, 2011

Rock stars, you are all rock stars!!!!

Doug_Pardee

No longer free

[ Edited ]
Doug_Pardee

Dreaming Anastasia - free NOOKbook

Dreaming Anastasia (young adult) [Sourcebooks]

From the Publisher

What really happened to Anastasia Romanov?

Anastasia Romanov thought she would never feel more alone than when the gunfire started and her family began to fall around her. Surely the bullets would come for her next. But they didn't. Instead, two gnarled old hands reached for her. When she wakes up she discovers that she is in the ancient hut of the witch Baba Yaga, and that some things are worse than being dead.

In modern-day Chicago, Anne doesn't know much about Russian history. She is more concerned about getting into a good college—until the dreams start. She is somewhere else. She is someone else. And she is sharing a small room with a very old woman. The vivid dreams startle her, but not until a handsome stranger offers to explain them does she realize her life is going to change forever. She is the only one who can save Anastasia. But, Anastasia is having her own dreams…

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
Doug_Pardee

Perennial free NOOKbooks (not samples)

I've put back in the excerpt from the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. I've got similar excerpts from MobileReference, so it seems reasonable.

Here's a list of NOOKbooks that seem to always be free, so I don't include them on my promos list. Here again, I'm not including the Smashwords titles because there are about 2000 of those and I'm too lazy to put them all here. I'm also leaving off free samples and excerpts.

Most of these are romances and/or shorts. A few are reportedly teasers, and probably shouldn't be on this list.

FICTION SECTION

NOOKkids Read-to-Me NOOKbooks for the NOOKcolor from Sterling/B&N:

From Harlequin and its imprints:

From Samhain (read the cautionary notes):

From Ellora's Cave:

From Hachette:

From Random House:

From Macmillan publishers:

From Hyperion (Disney):

From A&E Television:

NON-FICTION SECTION

From MPS:

From Macmillan publishers:

From Lonely Planet:

From MIT Press:

From Adams, a promotional excerpt that stands by itself:

Reference works from MobileReference (these are mostly short excerpts promoting paid versions, but probably useful on their own):

Bibles:

Doug_Pardee

Free Promo NOOKbook summary - February 1, 2011

[ Edited ]

Thanks to darkangel_1988 for the assistance.

Looks like Baker and Samhain have switched over to their February freebies, and Sourcebooks is back in for a little while. Zondervan hasn't made its usual switch yet. Still nothing from Thomas Nelson, and it'll probably be a few days before the February L. Ron Hubbard title is up, if there is one.

This is my list of limited-time promotional NOOKbooks. I'm just listing the titles, without the covers. You can mouse over the title to see the cover if you want.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content, and are about the only free promotional titles available to Canadians. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's books.

Free since 01/18/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Other FREE NOOKbooks:

Free since 02/01/2011:

Free since 01/31/2011:

Free since 01/30/2011:

Free since 01/29/2011:

Free since 01/27/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Free since 12/21/2010:

Free since 12/02/2010:

My list of perennially FREE NOOKbooks: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

Contributor
twilightreader
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NOOKbook summary - February 1, 2011

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for the updates Doug!!!   I check this page daily!!!!    :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NOOKbook summary - February 1, 2011

This is my "must read" thread and I check it several times a day just to make sure I don't miss anything. It is much appreciated!

Doug_Pardee

Invisible - free NOOKbook

Invisible [Revell (Baker)]

From the Publisher

She's not your average crime fighter!

Meet Ivy Malone, an inconspicuous older woman who has a mutant curiosity gene that often lands her in trouble. Unlike most women her age, she snoops and pries her gray-haired self into one hilarious escapade after another. So when vandals romp through the local cemetery, Ivy can't help but put her snooping eyes to work as she launches her own unofficial investigation.

Despite her unconventional sleuthing, Ivy soon becomes discouraged by her failure to turn up any solid clues. And after Ivy witnesses something ominous and unexplained, she can't resist putting her investigative powers to work again. Even the authorities' attempts to keep her out of danger and her nosy neighbor's match-making schemes can't slow Ivy down. But will the determination that fuels this persistent, spunky sleuth threaten her very safety?

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Free novella from Kensington

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: Free, not free, free...

A couple of Baker titles that dropped off the freebie list yesterday seem to be back on again -- at least for a time:

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988

Re: Murder a la Mode

[ Edited ]
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

February Free NOOKbook from University of Chicago Press: Who Wrote the Book of Love?

The new monthly free NOOKbook offer from the University of Chicago Press is now available:  Who Wrote the Book of Love?, by Lee Siegel.  Here is the description from the University of Chicago Press website (I'm not posting the URL, in compliance with the rules of this board, but you can easily Google it).

“Siegel continues his Love series of arch and diverting novels about the body-mind conundrum, sexy tales that revolve around the influence of texts as much as the libido.… As always, mischievous Siegel revels in the magic of language while offering tart social commentary on everything from Jewish assimilation to racism to the atomic bomb, but never has his humor been sharper or his characters more alluring than in this shrewdly spiked, cheerfully erotic, incident-rich Hollywood coming-of-age tale.”—Booklist

“Hilarious.… A delicious, page-turning memoir that spans those doctor-playing, sex-obsessed, hormone-drenched years from 5 to 15. It’s witty, warm, terribly sweet in places, and there’s never a dull moment on any single page.… Who Wrote the Book of Love? is not for the drear puritan. Yes, this charming book with so many laugh-out-loud sections, with its incurable nostalgia for youthful folly, is full of dirty thoughts, words and deeds. But I wonder if a more innocent book has been written lately.”—Wilton Barnhardt, Chicago Tribune

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

darkangel_1988 wrote:

Murder a la Mode (Savannah Reid Series #10)

DarkAngel - Have you read this book?  Since it is #10 and I'm quite obsessive about reading books chronologically, I'm probably going to download it and never read it unless I hear from someone who says "yeah, good book, nope, don't have to read in order."  

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to trying "unknown" authors - if it's not free, my money goes to the ones with a reputation. 

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

darkangel_1988 wrote:

Murder a la Mode (Savannah Reid Series #10)

DarkAngel - Have you read this book?  Since it is #10 and I'm quite obsessive about reading books chronologically, I'm probably going to download it and never read it unless I hear from someone who says "yeah, good book, nope, don't have to read in order."  

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to trying "unknown" authors - if it's not free, my money goes to the ones with a reputation. 

Nope I haven't read Murder a la Mode :smileyhappy:

But you could probably ask someone from the mystery board.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/bd-p/MysteryGen

Doug_Pardee

Stuck in the Middle - free NOOKbook (again)

This one was free not too long ago, and it's back:

Stuck in the Middle (Sister to Sister Series #1) [Revell (Baker)]

From the Publisher

Joan Sanderson's life is stuck.

Her older sister, Allie, is starting a family, and her younger sister, Tori, has a budding career. Meanwhile, Joan is stuck at home with Mom and her aging grandmother. Not exactly a recipe for excitement—or romance.

When a hunky young doctor moves in next door, Joan sets out to catch his eye. But it won't be easy. Pretty Tori flirts relentlessly, and Joan is sure that she can't compete. But with a little help from God, Allie, and an enormous mutt with bad manners, Joan begins to find her way out of this rut and into the life she's been hiding from.

Book 1 of the Sister-to-Sister series, Stuck in the Middle combines budding romance, soul searching, and a healthy dose of sibling rivalry that is sure to make you smile.

Doug_Pardee

Free Promo NOOKbook summary - February 1, 2011 (Updated)

[ Edited ]

Thanks to KirstyHaining and darkangel_1988 for their assistance.

What a goofy day! I've never done a second update on the same day, but so many titles need to be added that I want to get it done now before I lose track. Most of them seem to be from Baker's Revell imprint, with a couple from Kensington and the monthly L. Ron Hubbard pulp classic from Galaxy.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content, and are about the only free promotional titles that might be available to Canadians. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's books.

Free since 01/18/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Other FREE NOOKbooks:

Free since 02/01/2011:

Free since 01/31/2011:

Free since 01/30/2011:

Free since 01/29/2011:

Free since 01/27/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Free since 01/01/2011:

Free since 12/21/2010:

Free since 12/02/2010: