Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

She Walks in Beauty - free NOOKbook

She Walks in Beauty [Bethany House/Baker]

From the Publisher

During New York City's Gilded Age...

The game is played amid banquets and balls.

The prize is a lifetime of wealth and privilege.

The rules will test friendships and

the desires of a young woman's heart.

Clara Carter is the social season's brightest star...

but at what cost?

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988

Re: Nate & The Sword Lord - two free NOOKbooks

[ Edited ]

Nate

The Sword Lord

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975

A few more...

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I can make the pretty stuff with the whole summary!  
Happy Downloading
R

Doug_Pardee

Last Night's Kiss - free NOOKbook

Last Night's Kiss [Kensington]

From the Publisher

The heart knows what it wants--accepting it is another story. . .

Supermodel Rosa Clayton has the glamorous lifestyle most women envy. She's traveled the world modeling, and she's made a fortune doing it. But Rosa is always on the go, and she needs a break. So she's spending the summer in small-town Montana, with its fresh air, incredible sunrises, endless skies--and guaranteed heartbreaker Adam Osborne.

A former television news journalist, Adam has returned to Montana to settle down to a life of quiet simplicity, away from the harsh lights of the city. It's a plan with little room for a high-maintenance diva like Rosa, and he lets her know it in no uncertain terms. But Rosa finds his resolve only makes him more irresistible--and mysterious. . .

Still, getting past Adam's barriers is easier said than done. Only a chance encounter with someone close to Adam could turn things around. Now, if the two could only get out of their own way, something interesting might happen in the sleepy town of Waymon Valley. . .

Doug_Pardee

World from Rough Stones - free NOOKbook

The World from Rough Stones (Stevenson Family Saga #1) [Sourcebooks]

From the Publisher

John Stevenson is a just a foreman when a near-fatal accident bring young Nora Telling into his life. Her nimbleness of mind and his power of command enable them to take over the working mill and rescue it from catastrophe. Together with their friends the Thorntons-who are troubled by a marriage mismatched in passion-they are willing to risk any dare, commit themselves to any act of cunning on their climb from rags to riches.

The first novel in the classic Stevenson Family Saga, The World from Rough Stones is the epic story of two ambitious but poor young people who, at the very start of the Victorian Era, combine their considerable talents to found a dynasty and go on to fame and fortune.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: World from Rough Stones - free NOOKbook

Thanks again everyone!

A bunhc of new ones today :smileyhappy:

mousetater
0 Kudos

Re: World from Rough Stones - free NOOKbook

I love the beginning of a new month.  Just downloaded 7 new free NookBooks!

Doug_Pardee

Perennial free NOOKbooks (not samples)

I brought a bunch more, mostly non-fiction, over from my promos list. I'm having to guess as to whether these are going to stick around, and we'll see how many I got wrong.

Here's a list of NOOKbooks that seem to always be free, so I don't include them on my promos list. Here again, I'm not including the Smashwords titles because there are about 2000 of those and I'm too lazy to put them all here. I'm also leaving off free samples and excerpts.

Many of these are romances and/or shorts. A few are reportedly teasers, and probably shouldn't be on this list.

FICTION SECTION

NOOKkids Read-to-Me NOOKbooks for the NOOKcolor from Sterling/B&N:

From Simon & Schuster publishers:

From Candlewick:

From Harlequin and its imprints:

From Samhain (read the cautionary notes):

From Ellora's Cave:

From Hachette:

From Random House:

From Macmillan publishers:

From Hyperion (Disney):

From A&E Television:

NON-FICTION SECTION

From MPS:

From Lonely Planet:

From MIT Press:

From Smith and Kraus:

From Adams, a promotional excerpt that stands by itself:

From Russell Enterprises, a promotional excerpt that probably stands on its own:

Reference works from MobileReference (these are mostly short excerpts promoting paid versions, but probably useful on their own):

From the US Office of Management and Budget:

From the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department:

From House Studio/Nazarene Publishing:

Bibles:

Doug_Pardee

Free Promo NOOKbook summary - March 1, 2011

Thanks to rerose1975 for the assistance.

The new month comes in with new monthly selections from Baker, Tyndale House, and Samhain. Kensington and Sourcebooks also jumped in, but theirs won't last long. The Sourcebooks titles usually only stay free for a few days, and Kensington titles rarely stay free for more than a week.

I'm still looking for Gray Matter [Tyndale House] to be free, and also For the King's Favor [Sourcebooks]. For the King's Favor is free over at Kobo — if you're interested in that title, I suggest you pick it up there as a backup plan in case B&N doesn't get it free before Sourcebooks puts it back to full price. Gray Matter is free at Sony, but that's a month-long promotion so it's probably safe to wait a few days to see if B&N gets that one repriced.

No sign yet of an L. Ron Hubbard pulp classic from Galaxy for this month. They sometimes take a few days, though.

This is my list of limited-time promotional NOOKbooks. I'm just listing the titles, without the covers. You can mouse over the title to see the cover if you want.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content, and are about the only free promotional titles that might be available to Canadians. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's books.

FREE FRIDAYS still available:

Free since 02/22/2011:

Other FREE Fiction NOOKbooks:

Free since 03/01/2011:

Free since 02/27/2011:

Free since 02/22/2011:

Free since 02/09/2011:

Free since 02/01/2011:

Free since 01/03/2011:

Free since 01/01/2011:

Other FREE Non-Fiction NOOKbooks:

Free since 02/28/2011:

Free since 02/18/2011:

Free since 02/17/2011:

Free since 02/14/2011:

My list of perennially FREE NOOKbooks: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

B&N's FREE NOOKbook page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668

rerose1975
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NOOKbook summary - March 1, 2011

Thanks for the heads up on The Kings Favor.  

I'm also waiting for- 

Healing for a Broken World- Steve Monsma. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

I don't see where The Kings Favor is free at Kobo, they have it listed for $9.89.  They do have The Greatest Knight, just like B&N for free though.

Pinky

rerose1975

You have to click on it, then it shows up as free.  If you just search it still shows with a price in the list.  Make sense?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

Per NOOK on Facebook:

Part 1 of When Darkness Falls by James Grippando.  Part 2 should be free next week.

If I try to "Add product", I get the paid version.  Link below is to the free.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?page=index&prod=univ&choice=allproducts&query=97...

When Darkness Falls, which Booklist called at the time of its publication "by far the best in the [Jack Swyteck] series," is now available as a free e-book in three parts.  Part 1 includes two special essays by James Grippando that offer insight into the writing of When Darkness Falls.

But it isn't until a panicked Falcon takes a group of innocent people hostage, including Jack's best friend, and barricades himself and his prisoners in a motel room that Swyteck realizes how much is truly at stake. For Falcon has a bigger agenda than suicide, and Jack Swyteck must get to the root of a dark history and bitter secrets before Falcon decides he has nothing to lose by killing them all.

About When Darkness Falls:

From the moment Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck is called upon to defend a new client—a homeless man jailed for threatening to jump off a bridge—it's obvious something is amiss. For one thing, the man called Falcon manages to come up with the $10,000 bail...in cash. Then the body of a brutally murdered woman is found in the trunk of the abandoned car he's living in.

But it isn't until a panicked Falcon takes a group of innocent people hostage, including Jack's best friend, and barricades himself and his prisoners in a motel room that Swyteck realizes how much is truly at stake. For Falcon has a bigger agenda than suicide, and Jack Swyteck must get to the root of a dark history and bitter secrets before Falcon decides he has nothing to lose by killing them all.

Reader 2
sunshine618

I'm new to the Nook world. Thanks for all the free books postings,keep them coming! Extra thanks for the erotica ones lol, I don't know why but I love those. I also downloaded alot of the romance books, even tho I have NEVER read a romance before. Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

There certainly is plenty to choose from on this great list. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Doug_Pardee

Gray Matter - free NOOKbook (non-fiction)

This one finally became free:

Gray Matter [Tyndale House]

From the Publisher

A perfect blend of medical drama and spiritual insight, Gray Matter is a fascinating account of Dr. David Levy’s decision to begin asking his patients if he could pray for them before surgery. Some are thrilled. Some are skeptical. Some are hostile, and some are quite literally transformed by the request.

Each chapter focuses on a specific case, opening with a detailed description of the patient’s diagnosis and the procedure that will need to be performed, followed by the prayer “request.” From there, readers get to look over Dr. Levy’s shoulder as he performs the operation, and then we wait—right alongside Dr. Levy, the patients, and their families—to see the final results.

Dr. Levy’s musings on what successful and unsuccessful surgical results imply about God, faith, and the power of prayer are honest and insightful. As we watch him come to his ultimate conclusion that no matter what the results of the procedure are, “God is good,” we cannot help but be truly moved and inspired.

rerose1975
0 Kudos

Re: Gray Matter - free NOOKbook (non-fiction)

[ Edited ]

WARNING- Gray Matter shows as free, says Download Now, then charges you.  I'm not the only one.  I'd wait a bit.  On the phone with BN now.

Just thought I'd give a heads up!!

EDITED- They are refunding my money but it will take 48 hours.  They were nice and helpful!  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

If you click on Doug's link it's now showing as $9.99.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Careful with this ine right now. I just got charged for it and spent quite some time on the phone with customer service who knew nothing about it and then they transferred me to digital support, who took another long time. Getting a refund, but they know nothing about this being a free book. The charge shows up in the confirmation, so look at your confirmations when you download. This is one of those wonky free ones that is still in limbo. Lol

Doug_Pardee wrote:

This one finally became free:

Gray Matter [Tyndale House]

From the Publisher

A perfect blend of medical drama and spiritual insight, Gray Matter is a fascinating account of Dr. David Levy’s decision to begin asking his patients if he could pray for them before surgery. Some are thrilled. Some are skeptical. Some are hostile, and some are quite literally transformed by the request.

Each chapter focuses on a specific case, opening with a detailed description of the patient’s diagnosis and the procedure that will need to be performed, followed by the prayer “request.” From there, readers get to look over Dr. Levy’s shoulder as he performs the operation, and then we wait—right alongside Dr. Levy, the patients, and their families—to see the final results.

Dr. Levy’s musings on what successful and unsuccessful surgical results imply about God, faith, and the power of prayer are honest and insightful. As we watch him come to his ultimate conclusion that no matter what the results of the procedure are, “God is good,” we cannot help but be truly moved and inspired.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
Cali_ChurchGurl
0 Kudos

I clicked before I read the posts. They are now telling me a week before I'm refunded. At least I'm getting a refund...

I've returned to my first love...Thanks Nookie!
Ephesians 3:20