Frequent Contributor
cherryblossommj

Re: Free NOOKbooks - new offerings

Walking on Broken Glass description:

Leah Thornton’s life, like her Southern Living home, has great curb appeal. But a paralyzing encounter with a can of frozen apple juice in the supermarket shatters the façade, forcing her to admit that all is not as it appears. When her best friend gets in Leah’s face about her refusal to deal with her life, Leah is forced to make an agonizing decision. Can she sacrifice what she wants to get what she needs? Joy, sadness, and pain converge, testing Leah’s commitment to her marriage, her motherhood, and her faith.

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons

No Longer Free

No Longer Free:

• The Shepherd [Fiction Studio] (EPUB only?) - was free for 6 days
Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure

Re: Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT

Hi...I'm new and just found this thread. MANY THANKS!!!

This is my first post. Thought I would try to help add some that I find

A Chance in Time (novella)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Chance-In-Time/Ruth-Ann-Nordin/e/2940000843079/?itm=1&USRI=a+chan...

Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Boyfriends-Burritos-an-Ocean-of-Trouble/Nancy-Rue/e/9780310575924/?...

Gracelynn

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Gracelynn/MB-Forester-Smythe/e/2940011125522/?itm=1&USRI=gracelynn

Forgive me if these have already been listed. They looked decent to me and I'm continuing to look.

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

One more thing....I know it may sound stupid but what is OT????

Reader 4
Libra_Wolf
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NOOKbook summary - April 9, 2011

Pink_Maiden wrote:
I mean we all know how to do a search for 0.00, but I'm sure you know other ways to find these freebies that we don't know.  
I'm a real newbie to this and I don't know how to do the 0.00 search. I tried and got absolutely nowhere. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure
0 Kudos

Hi Libra....I'm pretty new too but I just found an easy way to find TONS of free ones.

I clicked on the NookBooks tab at the top.

Then in the search box I typed in free nookbooks and hit go

My result was: "Showing 1-10 of 1831055 results for free nookbooks

Hope this helps

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can do the same thing with $0, except instead of typing free type in 0.00.  Make sure they are zero's, not O's.

Also, look at the first page of this thread and you will find where Doug has links to the publishers.

And FYI   ---   OT means Off Topic

Pinky

blemons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just a note for those that may be new. 

On April 13 (page 40 of this thread) Doug (who originally started this thread, but recently has less time available to keep it up) posted his summary of all previously listed nookbooks that are still free.

There have been many changes since.  But if you read the summary, and read the posts after - there really isn't much need to read the earlier pages - as they will mostly be either listed on the latest summary or are no longer free, anyway.

Just be careful because some listed as free in the summary (or even in later posts) may no longer be free.  So check before you download!

In that summary, Doug also has a link to his "perennially free" nookbooks - also part of this post, but not updated as often.  So you can look there for some more possibilities.

I'm wondering if we should start a new thread - starting with an updated summary of currently free nookbooks - and add some of the general tips for finding nookbooks, using the thread, etc.  And then updating as we have been?

I'm suggesting this for a few reasons:  This thread is getting long; we seem to have some newcomers who may benefit; the help from other people is picking up since Doug has less time to do this, etc.

Just my thoughts... either way it's great to have this thread that Doug started... and the help from everyone else to keep it up when he can't!

Berit

blemons

Free Promo NookBook Summary - April 16, 2011

[ Edited ]

I have copied and tried to update Doug's list of limited-time promotional NOOKbooks.  

Thanks to everyone who has helped out!

Like Doug has done, I am not listing Smashwords books, simply because there are too many.  But if people want to continue posting them, feel free.

For those who are new and may not know, the Pearson titles (free since 4/12, under non-fiction) generally change each week.  And they generally revert to not-free on Sunday, with new ones coming out Monday.  So if you want them, grab them now.

Everything else, there's no telling how long they'll be free... so if there's something you think looks interesting, don't wait.

The rest of this post is his, with my edits.  I can't promise to keep up on this everytime Doug can't.  But here it is for now.

I'm just listing the titles, without the covers. You can mouse over the title to see the cover if you want.

I've put the publisher's name in [brackets], which might give you a clue about the content. Zondervan, Tyndale House, Thomas Nelson, NavPress, Baker, and Abingdon are Christian-oriented publishers. Samhain titles tend to have adult content. Galaxy publishes L. Ron Hubbard's classic pulp fiction.

FREE FRIDAYS still available:

Free since 4/15/2011:

Free since 04/05/2011:

Other FREE Fiction NOOKbooks:

Free since 04/15/2011:

Free since 04/12/2011:

Free since 04/08/2011:

Free since 04/05/2011:

Free since 04/04/2011:

Free since 04/03/2011:

Free since 04/01/2011:

Other FREE Non-Fiction NOOKbooks:

Free since 04/15/2011:

Free since 04/12/2011:

Free since 04/07/2011:

Free since 04/03/2011:

My list of perennially FREE NOOKbooks: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

B&N's FREE NOOKbook page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm all for a new thread.  I agree, this one is very long.  I also think we should name the new thread after Doug :smileyhappy:  

And I think we should include his tips and tricks.

Pinky

javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Free Promo NookBook Summary - April 16, 2011

For people helping out -- could we please agree to continue the trend for this list to NOT include Smashwords books.. or if you do want to list some, would you please show that it's a Smashwords title in your post?

GeneHunter

Re: Free Promo NookBook Summary - April 16, 2011

javabird wrote:

For people helping out -- could we please agree to continue the trend for this list to NOT include Smashwords books.. or if you do want to list some, would you please show that it's a Smashwords title in your post?

How about a separate, Smashwords only thread?

Inspired Contributor
HK_Varner
0 Kudos

Two new bonus stories from St. Martin's Press.  I suspect both of these will end up on the perennial free list.

Heart of the Sea

[St. Martin's]

From the Publisher

Heart of the Sea: An Others Bonus Story
In the world of the Others, affairs of the heart are no less complicated.  Even when talented witch, Jenny Ferguson, gets caught in a questionable situation with a current friend and former lover by her fiancé no less, she might need more than magic to save her wedding day.

Dead Drop

[St. Martin's]

From the Publisher

Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story (Includes a sneak peek of THE KENSEI!)

Meet Lawson. A cynical, wise-cracking vampire charged with protecting the Balance between vampires and humans, he is part cop, part spy, and part commando -- a James Bond with fangs. Lawson mixes shrewd cunning with unmatched lethality to get his job done. He tries his best to dismantle conspiracies, dispatch bad guys, and live long enough to get home.

This time, Lawson has been given an easy assignment, a “dead drop.” That is until an old enemy returns…

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

Another free novella to introduce you to a teen paranormal series:

Necromancer by Lish McBride

From the Publisher:

DEATH AND WAFFLES: A Short Story by Lish Bride, author of HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER

Matt’s childhood friend, Ashley, has been stopping by a lot lately. That might seem pretty normal, but Ashley died years ago and now she’s Death.

And tonight she wants waffles and fries.

INCLUDES AN EXCERPT OF HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER…

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else. 

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

This has been listed as free on some other websites recently, but I don't think it's been added to our free thread yet:

Let's Go Europe 2011 by Harvard Student Agencies, Inc.

From the Publisher:

From Portugal to the Ukraine, from Norway down to Greece, Europe is a lot to take on. Luckily, the student adventurers behind Let’s Go Europe 2011 think you can handle it — with a little help. Whether you’re whipping through London, Barcelona, and Prague in five days or spending a leisurely year abroad, you’ll get all the info you need from us. Our wit and irreverence can brighten even the drabbest Renaissance museum—if you didn’t take our advice to skip it. From German beer halls to Roman ruins, Let's Go Europe 2011 is your ticket to adventure: It’s 1232 pages of budget travel information, printed on lightweight paper so it’s easier to pack and carry.

Let's Go publishes the world's favorite student travel guides, written entirely by Harvard undergraduates. Armed with pens, notebooks, and a few changes of underwear stuffed in their backpacks, our student researchers go across continents, through time zones, and above expectations to seek out invaluable travel experiences for our readers. Let's Go has been on the road for 50 years and counting: We're on a mission to provide our readers with sharp, fresh coverage packed with socially responsible opportunities to go beyond tourism.

blemons
0 Kudos

New Thread for Free Promo NOOKBooks

OK.  I've started a new thread here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Doug-s-Free-Promo-NOOKBook-Thread-Please-...

I have updated it with all the updates to this thread so far.

Please take a look, and make any future updates to the new thread - so we can keep it all in one place!

Thanks, again to Doug for starting this - and to everyone else who has been helping out!!

javabird

Re: New Thread for Free Promo NOOKBooks

I wish you hadn't started a new thread. I subscribe to this thread in an RSS feed and making a separate thread just makes it so much harder to follow. Just my personal preference 

javabird

[ Edited ]

Also, I know Doug said he would appreciate help, but he didn't say he didn't want to do it anymore at all - I hope the thread didn't get hi-jacked from him :smileyhappy:

blemons
0 Kudos

Sorry.  I certainly wasn't intending to hi-jack it!

I just thought since others were wanting to help - and so many posts were getting made regarding how to help, it might be helpful to have all that information in one place, rather than spread throughout this thread.

Plus this thread is getting so long...

I don't mean to have 2 threads running at once.  I figured everything could be moved over to the other thread, so people could "follow" the new thread and it would only be a one-time change.

I know there are people on both sides of the issue, though.

I guess we could always switch back (but maybe that would be even more confusing now that the new one is started, I don't know)

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

[ Edited ]

This thread was how we liked it. Many of us come to this thread many times a day. Not just any thread will do, Doug's choice of books to be included in the list and knowledge of the publishing world are great.

I and I know other can depend on the observations he makes about the books listed. We did not have to scroll through a bunch of trash and off topic threads. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A