Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Info for 3 freebies from Abingdon Press

From Ashes to Honor  

If he had only answered that last phone call from the World Trade Center . . .

Minutes before two jumbo jets changed U.S. history, New York police officer Austin Finley ignored the call from his brother, who'd been bugging him for days. Trying to live with his one regret causes hatred and bitterness to consume Austin, and when counselor Mercy Samara recommends desk duty, Austin resigns. Haunted by her own memories of 9/11, Mercy takes a job as a school counselor in Baltimore. When Austin, now an EMT, responds to an emergency at Mercy's school, both are stunned and wary.

Finally their common-and painful-memories turn suspicion into friendship, then romance.

But hard questions linger: Can they truly move beyond their past harsh judgments and harsh words? Will their past finally bring them closer or-as the tenth anniversary of 9/11 draws near-drive them farther apart?

When all Hail Breaks Loose  

Storms can come suddenly, unexpectedly, and catastrophically. We are never the same after suffering the shock and after-shocks of such earth-shattering experiences. And it is during these times that we need the assurance that only our faith in God provides.

When All Hail Breaks Loose offers practical, proven life strategies for not only surviving, but also thriving, in the midst of major life challenges. When we are going through a storm, we can't help but wonder:

• How does my faith help me when everything is falling apart?
  • How does trusting God in prayer really make a difference?
  • Where can I turn to receive the strength and direction that will help me hold my life together when everything is coming apart?  
  • Where is God in the midst of my suffering and pain?
  • How can I make it through the long nights of fear, doubt, and uncertainty?
  • How can I keep going when everything in me wants to quit?

God provides the resources to weather life's storms: faith, prayer, friends and family, courage and fortitude, and the determination to persevere. It is reassuring to know the battle is not ours but God's.

A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County Series #2)  

Chris Matlock, a wounded and weary ex-soldier, just wants peace in his life, and he believes he's found it when he visits Matthew and Jenny Bontrager. He envies their happiness and simple life but doesn't believe that that life is meant for him.

When he meets Matthew's sister, Hannah, a small spark of hope flares within him. Despite the clash of cultures between the former military man and the pacifist Amish woman, Chris and Hannah fall in love. Chris settles into life in the community, helping Matthew with the farm.

Then the threats begin. At first, Chris plans to leave in order to protect Hannah. Then he discovers who his enemy is and realizes that he must stay and face his adversary, even if it means revealing a secret he hoped would remain buried forever.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

New Freebie - Abingdon Press - Sweet Baklava

Sweet Baklava  

(Abingdon Press)

After years of looking for a place to belong, Paula Andrews finally finds her niche in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Her soap and candle shop flourishes, and her friendship with the Papadopoulos family gives her the love and support she never got from her own family.

The only thing missing is a romance-or in the grand hopes of the Papadopoulos family, a proper marriage. Preferably with Nick, their favorite son, currently serving in the Air Force. Paula, however, has doubts. After all, he's been gone a long time and loves flying. Their lives have grown apart. Would he still feel anything for her?

When Nick comes home on leave, sparks fly, and not just with Paula. Nick's father wants him home, helping with the family sponge-diving business. His mother wants him back in the family, back in church. Nick just wants Paula . . . and the Air Force.

So who's going to give in first? And what will it mean for their love and future?

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

09/07/2011 - No Longer Free "Limited Time" Freebies

Wow, these disappeared quick! I hope you managed to grab them while they were free!

No Longer Free - 09/07/2011

Gooseberry Patch

John Wiley & Sons

Moody Publishers

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

Re: 09/07/2011 - No Longer Free "Limited Time" Freebies

I just got Against the Gates of Hell for free (on September 7 at about 5:45 p.m. Eastern time), so if anyone wants it, you may want to check it again.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Corrected Link for Against the Gates of Hell

Thanks BrandiC

Here is the corrected link:

Against the Gates of Hell  

He had always looked down on those who partook and pedaled drugs which claimed the lives of many in the streets.  Now Kerby Wilson finds himself duped by his own pride and going down a very desperate path of his own.  Distraught over the death of his parents and,  the murder of a fellow police officer, Kerby alienates those closest to him, pushing them away-his wife, brother, police force buddies and old friends. As the bottom falls out of his life and darkness consumes his soul, he sells all that he holds dear for an elusive state of peace.

Herby, Kerby's identical twin brother is angry with Kerby for turning on his family, friends, and the police force and for going down this destructive path. As his heart hardens and he is caught up in his own battle of resentment and bitterness, he tries to shut Kerby out. But Rene, his God-fearing wife won't allow that to happen. Instead she continually appeals to his conscience, reminding him of God's unfailing love and Kerby's need for his help.

When Kerby uses his past identity as a police officer to rob the biggest drug dealer in Philly, a price is put on his head. Learning of Kerby's latest antics, Herby, family and friends are challenged to push past their struggles to help keep him alive and break free of his addiction.

This hope-filled story reveal the internal and external struggles of two men who find themselves in need of God's grace, love and forgiveness as they fight for their lives against the very gates of hell.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Note - Fatal Destiny is no longer pre-order, ebook is available now

Just a note, Fatal Destiny is no longer a pre-order.  The ebook is now available now for download.

Fatal Destiny  

(Carina Press)

With the week of their wedding finally upon them, Washington, D.C., Police Lieutenant Sam Holland and her fiancé, Senator Nick Cappuano, are at odds. In the aftermath of a tragic loss, they struggle to reconnect as the big day draws near, but their work keeps pulling them apart. When a new clue into a cold case surfaces, Nick asks Sam not to take any foolish chances before the wedding and to leave it alone for the time being.

Sam agrees, but she can't let it go entirely and winds up trapped in an explosive situation. Then an unwelcome visitor from her past threatens her future happiness… With trouble at every turn, will Sam survive long enough to walk down the aisle?

Book 3.5: a Fatal novella. Don't miss Fatal Affair, Fatal Justice and Fatal Consequences, available now.

39,000 words

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: free short stories by Daniel Orozco

Four free short stories from the book "Orientation and Other Stories" by Daniel Orozco (Faber & Faber, c2011). Daniel Orozco’s critically acclaimed collection Orientation leads the reader through the hidden lives and moral philosophies of bridge painters, men housebound by obesity, office temps, and warehouse workers. He reveals the secret pleasures of late-night supermarket trips for cookie binges, exceptional data entry, and an exiled dictator’s occasional piss on the U.S. embassy. A love affair blooms between two officers in the impartially worded pages of a police blotter; a new employee’s first-day office tour includes descriptions of other workers’ most private thoughts and actions; during an earthquake, the consciousness of the entire state of California shakes free for examination. Orientation introduces a writer at the height of his powers, whose work surely invites us to reassess the landscape of American fiction. 

The Bridge A young bridge painter is awakened from the hum of daily routine by a face-to-face encounter with a woman in free fall. 

Orientation Breakfast’s boiled egg, the overhead hum of fluorescent lights, the midmorning coffee break—daily routines keep the world running. But when people are pushed—by a coworker’s taunt, a face-to-face encounter with a woman in free fall from a bridge—cracks appear, revealing alienation, casual cruelty, madness, and above all a simultaneous hunger for and fear of the unknown.

Officers Weep A love affair blooms between two officers in the impartially worded pages of a police blotter. 

Temporary Stories A triptych chronicling the unexpectedly epic adventures of an ordinary office temp. 

About the Author

Daniel Orozco’s stories have appeared in The Best American Short Stories, The Best American Mystery Stories, The Best American Essays, and the Pushcart Prize anthology, as well as in publications such as Harper’s Magazine, Zoetrope: All-Story, McSweeney’s, Ecotone, and StoryQuarterly. He was awarded a 2006 NEA Fellowship in fiction, and was a finalist for a 2006 National Magazine Award in fiction. A former Stegner Fellow and Jones Lecturer at Stanford, he teaches creative writing at the University of Idaho.

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach

Re: 09/06/2011 - Once a Princess from Samhain

CrankyBeach wrote:

For those hesitant to download Samhain titles because of potential steamy content....

I downloaded "Once a Princess" because I liked the sound of the premise, figuring I could always delete it if I didn't like it.

But there is nothing in it that's even remotely steamy. There's exactly one knee-knocking lip-lock between the hero and heroine--and that is it.

Now I'm more than halfway through the second book, "Twice a Prince," and it has yet to get steamy as well.Of course, I'm not done with it yet....

So if "Once a Princess" sounds interesting to you but you hesitated because of the reputation of the publisher, hesitate no more. It's a wild romp with a total kick-butt heroine (with an equally butt-kicking mother) and a hero who could buckle my swash any old time, and lots of fun.

Of note, the author had intended just one long book, but the publisher wanted it split into two books.

Jumping back in to add that I have now finished the second book ("Twice a Prince") and it too was completely devoid of steamy content.

Just consider this sort of a reverse reader advisory.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

09/08/2011 - The Applause of Heaven No Longer Free

No Longer Free - 09/08/2011

Nelson, Thomas, Inc.

Frequent Contributor
Tammke
0 Kudos

Free until 9/9/2011 - Bob Edwards "A Voice in the Box"

According to my SiriusXM newsletter, this book is only free through 9/9/2011:

A Voice in the Box  

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Free Friday, September 9, 2011: Bright Young Things (with Bonus Material)

Bright Young Things with Bonus Material  

by Anna Godbersen
(HarperCollins Publishers)

For a limited time, the first book in New York Times bestselling author Anna Godbersen’s epic new series Bright Young Things is available for free. Also includes an excerpt from the forthcoming sequel Beautiful Days and fashion tips on how to achieve the perfect flapper look.

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star.

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined — and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for ... and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall — together and apart. From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

freebie

Summer of Fire by Linda Jacobs 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Info for Summer of Fire

Summer of Fire  

(Medallion Press)

It is 1988, and Yellowstone Park is on fire. Among the thousands of summer warriors battling to save America's crown jewel, is single mother Clare Chance. Having just watched her best friend, a fellow Texas firefighter, die in a roof collapse, she has fled to Montana to try and put the memory behind her. She's not the only one fighting personal demons as well as the fiery dragon threatening to consume the park. There's Chris Deering, a Vietnam veteran helicopter pilot, seeking his next adrenaline high and a good time that doesn't include his wife, and Ranger Steve Haywood, a man scarred by the loss of his wife and baby in a plane crash. They rally around Clare when tragedy strikes yet again, and she loses a young soldier to a firestorm. Three flawed, wounded people; one horrific blaze. Its tentacles are encircling the park, coming ever closer, threatening to cut them off. The landmark Old Faithful Inn and Park Headquarters at Mammoth are under siege, and now there's a helicopter down, missing, somewhere in the path of the conflagration. And Clare's daughter is on it.

Distinguished Correspondent
aprilbabyAK

Re: Info for Summer of Fire

Vanquished  

FREE - was 7.99

• Pub. Date: July 2006
  • Publisher: Medallion Press, Incorporated

Known as The Maid of Mayfair for her unassailable virtue, unwavering resolve, and quiet dignity, suffragette leader, Caledonia -Callie - Rivers is the perfect counter for detractors' portrayal of the women as rabble rousers, lunatics, even whores. But a high-ranking enemy within the government will stop at nothing to ensure that the Parliamentary bill to grant the vote to females dies in the Commons - including ruining the reputation of the Movement's chief spokeswoman. After a streak of disastrous luck at the gaming tables threatens to land him at the bottom of the Thames, photographer Hadrian St. Claire reluctantly agrees to seduce the beautiful suffragist leader and then use his camera to capture her fall from grace. Posing as the photographer commissioned to make her portrait for the upcoming march on Parliament, Hadrian infiltrates Callie's inner circle. But lovely, soft-spoken Callie hardly fits his mental image of a dowdy, man-hating spinster. And as the passion between them flares from spark to full-on flame, Hadrian is the one in danger of being vanquished. 

Miss Piggy from Cheap e-Reads
https://www.facebook.com/CheapeReads
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

09/12/2011 - No Longer Free

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining

Re: another free cooking booklet from Gooseberry Patch

Tailgating Cookbook  by Gooseberry Patch (2011), 32 pages

From high-school homing to the big bowl, parked at the stadium or right in front of your TV, Gooseberry Patch Tailgating will help you throw the winningest party of the season! Tackle those appetites with Touchdown Taco Dip, Running-Back Stuffed Mushrooms and more! 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

09/12/2011 - No Longer Free - Limited Time Freebies

No Longer Free - 09/12/2011

F&W Media

Harvest House

NavPress

University Press of Kentucky

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Just a note

You beat me to it Kristy, lol

I don't know why, but it looks like we aren't getting Pearson Education books anymore, we have been left out again this round.  We haven't gotten any new Pearson's books for the last 4 rounds of freebie's.  If anyone has any information on why we aren't getting them anymore please send me a message.

Thanks,

Pinky

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

freebie

Strength for the Broken Places by James A Harnish

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Info for Strength for the Broken Places

Strength for the Broken Places  

(Abingdon Press)

James A. Harnish, from the Introduction: "I'm broken. So are you. We're all broken people who live in a broken world. The critical question is, how do we find strength to put broken things back together again? This book is an invitation to touch the scars that mark the broken places in our lives, in the same way the risen Christ invited a doubting disciple to touch the nail scars in his hands. It is a challenge to explore some of the dark places in our human experience, to uncover the sinister power of sin, and to experience the way the grace of God meets us in our broken places to bring new life."