Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Free eBooks Make Publishers Money

I just bought two books that were released to today in series that I've been reading.

A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #6)  

The first book in this series was free and I've bought the other five (so far) at full price. I never would have discovered this series if the first book was not offered fro free.

How Firm a Foundation (Safehold Series #5)  

I had actually started reading this series before purchasing my NOOK. The first book was offered for free around the time book for was released. So I currently have books 1, 4, and 5 on my NOOK.

If I had not already been reading this series the free first book would have certainly gotten me into it.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Free eBooks Make Publishers Money

I have been waitng for this new book from J.R. Benn also. I was also introduced to his books with that free book give away of his first novel. I have been lucky enough to have read all of the rest for free from the library. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

I make it a point to drop a note to publishers and authors to let them know when I've discovered them through these type of free promotions.

Obviously, they can probably make some correlation based on sales data, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to see it in writing.

New User
JohnDwyer

Interesting stuff. It makes sense for authors and publishers to offer some work free and hope, as seen above, that sales will follow. Even if you only have one book, a free excerpt or free chapters might lead to more sales in the future.

John

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

From this I guess that the publishers of Christian books are making a ton of money, as there seems to be a never-ending flow of free books from them.  

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT

More than half of the e-books I've purchased were a direct result of reading a free book first. In each case, it was by an author new to me. If I love a story, I make a point of looking up their other works. The marketing plan has worked with me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I used to purchase many new authors/titles in DTB after a quick skim. Now, with NOOK, I pretty much always tend towards those that I've read at least one free title from or, at the very least, download the free sample.

And if the publishers set the sample too short, so I can't really get a "taste" of what it's like, I generally don't give it much further consideration.

I also think it's sound marketing for publishers to make the first book in a series very low cost (if they don't want to make it free). I'm much more willing to try out a new series if book 1 is, say, $2.99, even if that means once I'm hooked I pay $7.99 or more for books 2+.

Publishers, in general, need to get more creative and aggressive in issuing and promoting their authors' backlists.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

This is exactly why Baen established the Baen Free Library.  The freebies get you hooked on a particular author or series.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed