Reader
CharlesPlager
0 Kudos

French books and FNAC ebooks

Hi,

Two questions:

1) Is it possible to list the ebooks by language?  I am interested in finding books in French.  (Note it is possible to do over at Amazon, although it was not at all obvious figuring out how to do so).

2) FNAC is a french book store offering their own ebook reader.  Their ebooks are either in the epub format or PDF format using Adobe for DRM.  Is it possible to use nook to purchase and read these books?

(http://www.fnac.com/Guides/High-Tech/fnacbook/default.asp (reader)and

http://www.fnac.com/telecharger-ebook.asp (books))

thanks,

Charles

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

If they use the Adobe Digital Editions DRM, you should be able to read them on your nook.  But you won't be able to buy them directly from your nook - you would have to download them to your computer and then sideload them to your device via Adobe Digital Editions.

See the instructions in my signature link for how to use Adobe Digital Editions.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

CharlesPlager wrote:

Is it possible to list the ebooks by language?  I am interested in finding books in French.

B&N doesn't carry much in French. Most come from Smashwords. Here's a search: 

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&FMT=EP&LNG=FRE

If you want to include Google Books, try this search:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&LNG=FRE

New User
CSENYC
0 Kudos

My local Barnes & Noble store confirms the above posts- they said that FNAC books have to be transferred from your computer to your Nook.  I'd like to do it too.

Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

Bonjour !

Sorry I might be too late and you may have had some answers already.

I have a nook and am also interested in reading French books on my device.

We were in France in December 2010/January 2011 and the Fnac book had just been released. However, none of the sales persons were able to help us when we asked about the DRM.

Because I didn't want to buy a book (between 13 euros and 16 euros) that couldn't be read on the nook.

I downloaded some of their free ebooks (les classiques Victor Hugo, Verlaine etc...) that were DRM free... Well, I was quite disappointed. Most of them couldn't open on the nook.

So I'm really hesitant regarding buying a fnac ebook without being sure I can read it on my nook.

Has anyone tried since December 2010?

Thanks a lot

Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

Okay, afer some research (from my husband), we downloaded Adobe Digital Edition.

I opened my free ebooks from La Fnac (classiques Victor Hugo etc...) from A.D.E & then transferred the epub files to the A.D.E folder in the nook and taadaaaa !! I can read Les Miserables on my nook!!

I'm sorry if my explanations are confusing...

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

FrenchGirl wrote:

Okay, afer some research (from my husband), we downloaded Adobe Digital Edition.

I opened my free ebooks from La Fnac (classiques Victor Hugo etc...) from A.D.E & then transferred the epub files to the A.D.E folder in the nook and taadaaaa !! I can read Les Miserables on my nook!!

I'm sorry if my explanations are confusing...

makes sense to me!  I haven't been able to find much french language stuff either, but am interested as well.  knowing I will be able to sideload with ADE, is good- I already use it for books from the library, as well as a few I have purchased from other sources (Borders/Kobo)

Merci beaucoup!

Correspondent
bluedaze
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for the search links, Doug!  I just found out B&N had books in French yesterday, so the info is very timely!

There are apparently even some in Russian available, but unfortunately I don't speak that language, but just FYI for anyone else who does. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

chefclaire wrote:

makes sense to me!  I haven't been able to find much french language stuff either, but am interested as well.  knowing I will be able to sideload with ADE, is good- I already use it for books from the library, as well as a few I have purchased from other sources (Borders/Kobo)

Merci beaucoup!

De rien ^_^

So far, I've downloaded 39 French free ebooks (classics) from la Fnac website. We got a couple of issues transferring some titles but nothing major and unfixable.

I haven't tried to buy any books from them yet.

A bientot

New User
jupi
0 Kudos

I bought "Du côté de chez Swann" directly from B&N to my Nook, and the text doesn't display correctly - strange characters appear instead of French characters. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

jupi wrote:

I bought "Du côté de chez Swann" directly from B&N to my Nook, and the text doesn't display correctly - strange characters appear instead of French characters. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

Try changing the font. The one you are using may not support the extended character set, which could generate the "strange" characters you are seeing. The N2E user guide implies that French is a supported language in all fonts, but that may not be the case.

Or, just as it is a problem with English texts, the book in question just may not have been properly copyedited and formatted by the publisher.

New User
CSENYC
0 Kudos

Apart from FNAC, are there bookstores online that sell French e-books (preferably not just basic French things, but things such as current events, 20th century history, etc.)?  I couldn't buy any from FNAC since my credit card does not have a French billing address.  Indigo in Canda, which I recall was like a Barnes & Noble, didn't have much available.

Or is there a way for a US person with a US credit card billing address to buy e-books from FNAC- am I missing a good shortcut or something?

Thanks.

Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

CSENYC wrote:

Apart from FNAC, are there bookstores online that sell French e-books (preferably not just basic French things, but things such as current events, 20th century history, etc.)?  I couldn't buy any from FNAC since my credit card does not have a French billing address.  Indigo in Canda, which I recall was like a Barnes & Noble, didn't have much available.

Or is there a way for a US person with a US credit card billing address to buy e-books from FNAC- am I missing a good shortcut or something?

Thanks.

From FNAC, I only downloaded free ebooks (in French of course, I don't recall being asked to provide a billing address). I already bought from them physical books, from the US with a US credit card billing address and never had a problem. I guess it's different with ebooks due to copyright.

I found a website offering free ebooks in French (authors from France/Canada/England etc...) but they all seem to be "old"

Feedbooks seem to sell some French ebooks (in euros). I haven't tried to buy anything yet though (reading Game of Thrones right now), so I don't know if they require a French credit card billing address. http://www.feedbooks.com/search?lang=fr&query=Guillaume+Musso

Hope this could help you

New User
FrenchReader
0 Kudos

When I go to the FNAC website and try to download even the free classics, it requires me to set up an account with a billing address in France. Am I doing something wrong?

New User
FrenchReader
0 Kudos

I spent an entire day researching e-readers, and settled on the Nook Simple Touch based on reviews saying it was the best for reading, then picked it up at the store today. I am now already in the process of returning it. The ancient French dictionaries I was able to download don't work at all, or come across with strange letterings. The Nook does not allow you to switch the default dictionary to a French one, but I thought I'd be able to just download a French dictionary to reference words in a French ebook. This is not easy to do--takes numerous slow steps to look up a word from French text. AND getting that French book/text on your e-reader to begin with is very challenging/limited. B&N has a "en espanol" section of ebooks, but not "en francais." I also tried going to the FNAC website to download stuff into the Adobe reader software mentioned below. FNAC would not let me even order free books without a French address. SOooo it seems ereaders are not for francophiles ... yet.
New User
lucamihailescu
0 Kudos

Pretty sad that B&N has almost 0 books in french, while Amazon has pretty much every book they have in english available as a french version. Had to buy an e-reader for someone overseas, and was too lazy to do my research...now i kinda regret. Should've go for a Kindle.

keriflur
0 Kudos

lucamihailescu wrote:

Pretty sad that B&N has almost 0 books in french, while Amazon has pretty much every book they have in english available as a french version. Had to buy an e-reader for someone overseas, and was too lazy to do my research...now i kinda regret. Should've go for a Kindle.

The simple explanation for this is that Amazon is an international company and B&N is a US-only company.

Contributor
n_blink
0 Kudos

[quote]Pretty sad that B&N has almost 0 books in french, while Amazon has pretty much every book they have in english available as a french version. Had to buy an e-reader for someone overseas, and was too lazy to do my research...now i kinda regret. Should've go for a Kindle.[/quote]

I have a Kindle, and although Amazon is an international company, books purchased from their foreign sites will NOT work for a U.S. customer due to license issues. Here's a thread about it from their forums:

http://tinyurl.com/8y9uahv

Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

FrenchReader wrote:
I spent an entire day researching e-readers, and settled on the Nook Simple Touch based on reviews saying it was the best for reading, then picked it up at the store today. I am now already in the process of returning it. The ancient French dictionaries I was able to download don't work at all, or come across with strange letterings. The Nook does not allow you to switch the default dictionary to a French one, but I thought I'd be able to just download a French dictionary to reference words in a French ebook. This is not easy to do--takes numerous slow steps to look up a word from French text. AND getting that French book/text on your e-reader to begin with is very challenging/limited. B&N has a "en espanol" section of ebooks, but not "en francais." I also tried going to the FNAC website to download stuff into the Adobe reader software mentioned below. FNAC would not let me even order free books without a French address. SOooo it seems ereaders are not for francophiles ... yet.
I am sorry you haven't been successful setting up your account on FNAC. I have just checked mine on their website and my address in the USA but I have to admit I haven't downloaded any free books since the end of May 2011.
They may have changed their policy which is really annoying.
Not related to French books but ebooks in general, I wanted to buy the UK version of the Harry Potter ebooks through the Pottermore webiste. Well, I cannot buy them because my IP is in the US... bummer...
RHWright
0 Kudos

FrenchGirl wrote:

FrenchReader wrote:
I am sorry you haven't been successful setting up your account on FNAC. I have just checked mine on their website and my address in the USA but I have to admit I haven't downloaded any free books since the end of May 2011.
They may have changed their policy which is really annoying.
Not related to French books but ebooks in general, I wanted to buy the UK version of the Harry Potter ebooks through the Pottermore webiste. Well, I cannot buy them because my IP is in the US... bummer...

A workaround to this has been posted in various Pottermore threads here and on mobile reads. It basically involves gifting the UK edition to another email account and telling them the recipient is Canadian, then using the redeem code in your own Pottermore account.

I haven't tried it myself. Search out those threads for more details.

Back on the FNAC issue, has anyone figured out if US users can get anything from them and how?