Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Game of Thrones: Book 1st?

[ Edited ]

Well I am not a big magical fantasy person, but my husband has been telling me for years I would like Game of Thrones (being more political and all). Well I watched the first part of the series last night and really enjoyed it.  I started reading the book and am now torn.  I only got as far as the first episode reading last night. It was kind of interesting reading apace with the tv show and seeing the plot point comparisons.

Should I read ahead and finish the book or keep on pace with the series?  Any suggestions, opinions?

Edit: I am sure this is being discussed on the Fantasy board, but I thought we could use a break over here from the pricing and promotional threads. :smileyhappy:

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Game of Thrones: Book 1st?

I read all the books so far and could not watch the whole show last night. I will watch it just got too emotional so I decided to take a break.

Normally I would read then watch but in this case I would read just a bit behind the series, it can really be upsetting.

Unlike any other fantasy series I have read this, in this one no one is safe. Better not to see it coming.

One of the best series of any genre I have read.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up!:smileysurprised:

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Normally I would read then watch but in this case I would read just a bit behind the series, it can really be upsetting.

Unlike any other fantasy series I have read, in this one no one is safe. Better not to see it coming.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Correspondent
toesinthesand79
0 Kudos

I would be careful with expecting the HBO series to follow the books.  The reason I say this is because I read all of the The Southern Vampire Series that was out way before the TrueBlood show on HBO came out.  The first few episodes followed the books and then it was like it took a huge right turn and it irritated the crap out of me.  My husband was irritated because I kept say, "this isn't what is supposed to be happening" constantly.

Now I enjoy the book series and the HBO series as completely different entities.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

I just finished the first book and have the first episode on DVR.

I would suggest reading the whole book ahead of the series but that is just my opinion.

I would anticipate that the series will follow the books rather closely as George RR Martin is a part of the production team.

I can't wait to watch the first episode.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

I guess I better get started reading right away - the 1st book is over 700 pages!

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've read all the books so far, and I really enjoyed watching it come to life in the first episode last night. I just began re-reading the series and it was nice having it all fresh in my mind. I imagine it would also be cool to watch the show and then read the books for more detail. From everything I've heard, the producers plan to stay fairly faithful to the books. GRRM consulted with them, wrote one episode (#8, I believe), and has said he's very happy with the show.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Just finished watching the rest of it. I agree it is exciting to see the people and their world come alive. We need a spoiler thread where those of us who have already read the books can can talk about it, with out fear of ruining the story for anyone else.

1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
JoAnnB
0 Kudos

I'm nearly finished with the 1st book.  I had this series on my wish list to be read and decided to start a few weeks ago in anticipation of the series starting.  I always prefer to read the book first and then watch the show.  I like to use my own imagination of the characters and places without the influence of the actors portraying the characters.  I like having the insight into the characters inner thoughts and feelings, that is not something that comes across easily on screen.  I have also been disappointed by movies that differ to much from the book. 

With the beginning of book one fresh in my mind, I have to say they have started out well with a very close portrayal of the story.  I think the younger characters are portrayed as a little older in the show. I think they had to do that due to some of the more adult themes these characters are involved.  I didn't envision Dany, Robb and Jon to be as old looking as they are in the show.  Sansa looks older than Joffrey when I thought they were closer in age in the book.

So far enjoying both the books and the series. And I have to say I am glad to see the books are priced around 8.99, a real value I think considering the length and quality of the books.  I was concerned that they might go up in price with the series out and the new book coming in June so I went ahead and bought them all now.

JoAnn

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

I've read books 1 and 2, and just haven't gotten around to 3 and 4 yet.  Whether you read first or watch first is really up to your preference.  You may get impatient waiting for the next week's episode, when all you have to do is keep reading to find out what happens.  :smileywink:

Joann, the books did go up in price, as they were all around $6 or so when I bought them last summer and fall.  They went up a month or two ago.

I noticed the kids all seemed older in the TV series, so I double checked in the book, and they've made them all older by 2-3 years.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

JoAnnB wrote:
Sansa looks older than Joffrey when I thought they were closer in age in the book.

Well, Sansa said that she's 13.  At that age, girls look much older than boys.  I thought Joffrey looked younger than I imagined him looking when I read the book.  He kind of reminds me of Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Daenerys is supposed to be about 14 in the books. And she is clearly much older than that on the show. But there is no way they could have a 14 year old, or someone who looks 14, play that part on TV.

As I said on another board, knowing what will happen may be making the show less enjoyable for me. But not having the background provided by the books might make the show unwatchable.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

For those who have not read the books yet, I did read somewhere that after the first three episodes the characters and setting will be very understandable. With such a large cast and well developed world it can seem rather disjointed at first if you have not read at least the first book.

1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swan480 wrote:

I've read books 1 and 2, and just haven't gotten around to 3 and 4 yet.  Whether you read first or watch first is really up to your preference.  You may get impatient waiting for the next week's episode, when all you have to do is keep reading to find out what happens.  :smileywink:

Joann, the books did go up in price, as they were all around $6 or so when I bought them last summer and fall.  They went up a month or two ago.

I noticed the kids all seemed older in the TV series, so I double checked in the book, and they've made them all older by 2-3 years.

They are Random House books, so the prices went up when they started Agency Pricing.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

They are Random House books, so the prices went up when they started Agency Pricing.

Oh, right, forgot about that.

New User
Tinkie78
0 Kudos

I was reading and watching the first two weeks.  My patience was not there so now I am on book 2.  Wow it has been a great read.  You get sucked right in and never see what's coming.  I loved how he did not just go in regular chapters.  I really enjoyed how it was an insight to each character, and what was going on around them and their thoughts and views.  I am waiting for the DVD series now and going to finish all 5 books.  It's been to good for me to wait.  So I will go back and watch the series.  I personally prefer to read then watch if there is a movie or series out.