Wordsmith
tmr4

Giftcards Disappeared from My Account

I just bought 4 ebooks expecting them to be paid for by one of the three giftcards on my account. The first purchase was charged to a giftcard no problem. After purchasing the remaining three I noticed these were charged to my credit card. I went to look at my giftcards and they were gone. I was able to reenter them and the balances are correct. Has this happened to anyone before? Can customer services transfer the charges to my giftcards? I guess it is a good thing I saved my giftcards, otherwise I wouldn't have had the card numbers to reenter.
Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Re: Giftcards Disappeared from My Account

Had this happen to my daughter's account just this past weekend. She wanted 2 books. Put $20 on the card which should have more than covered her $12 in books. Checked the account before I purchased the books. She asked me tonight if there was enough on her card for another book. Look on her account, the card and info was gone and the books had been charged to my CC! Re-entered the gift card and numbers were accurate for what should be on the card after I reloaded it. This on top of putting samples in my library I don't want!!!  NOT COOL B&N!!! :smileymad:

P.S. :smileytongue: B&N Spell Checker doesn't recognize the term Giftcards and offers Suffragist!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

[ Edited ]

@tmr4 and AikiPen:

Thanks for giving the "heads up" on this problem.  My gift card information also vanished (sometime between September 13 and September 14, judging by when my purchases switched over from the gift card to my credit card).  Unfortunately, I did not still have the physical card.  After more than an hour on the phone with customer service this afternoon, I got to a manager (Angela J.), who was able to retrieve my gift card number and PIN number, so that I could reenter the information into my account and restore my $66+ balance.  (Thanks, Angela!)

Angela asked for the order number on the order which charged to my credit card, rather than my gift card, so that she could transfer the transaction.  It wasn't important to me because the only credit card charge which went through was for a $2.99 book, but the fact that she offered indicates that they can do this if you want them to.

I did make her aware of the existence of this thread and asked her to escalate the issue, so B&N may reach out to y'all.  If they don't, I encourage you to call customer service and, if possible, ask for Angela.  Good luck!

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Re: Giftcards Disappeared from My Account - PLEASE CHECK your Balance!!

WOW!  Someone ought to talk to B&N!!  I got a Gift Card for my Birthday a month ago for $30.  I used up a little but not much.  Then when I saw this post, I checked my Gift Card Balance - good enough it DISAPPEARED! 

Luckily, I still have my card, otherwise, I'll be SOL. 

Frequent Contributor
reedfam
0 Kudos

Re: Giftcards Disappeared from My Account - PLEASE CHECK your Balance!!

They were having some GC issues! I put 2 GC on last week and started buying books!! I expected the first one to run out and then just continue on with the second one, well didn't happen!! It wouldn't let my books go through, what a PIA that was!! Took almost a week to get my books processed through onto the second card. Not sure what in the world is going on!

Contributor
AddieNC
0 Kudos

I thought it odd that I had gone through a gift card so quickly--checked my account balance, and it was $0. After reading this thread I wondered if the same thing had happened to me. Fortunately for me, too, I still had the card so I could check the balance. I still had a balance of more than $20 on the card! This is the first time I have had an issue with this.

Glad I check these threads regularly and saw the post!

HMY
Contributor
HMY

I noticed a charge on my credit card for a nook book yesterday and was concerned since I too still had a balance.  I called this afternoon and I mentioned I had checked the boards and knew others were having the same difficulties and re-explained my situation a couple times.  They were somehow able to extract the numbers of my gift card so I could reactivate it.  

It took 15 minutes total and I was able to recover the full balance from both cards.  Next time I will definitely hold onto the cards until I use them up. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen

Hang on to your gift cards. Some B&N stores will let you reload them, some won't. In my city we have 2 B&N stores and one won't let you reload a gift card, the other is proud of the fact that they have had folks reloading the same card for years.

Sometimes I go to the non-reloading store with an expensive book in hand to buy and ask to buy the book and reload the card. They won't reload the card so I announce that I'll just purchase the book at the other store where I can reload my card. Not nice I know. This store insists that if I want more money on a card I have to purchase a new card. Which I would then have to load onto my account then a book costing more than on one card won't roll over to the second card and is just a pain.

Hang on to your gift card and insist on being able to reload it.

Then B&N has to not lose it from your account, that's another story.

Wordsmith
tmr4

Another benefit of reloading a giftcard is when it is used for a transaction that has gone bad. Last year I bought an ebook with a giftcard but the payment didn't go through immediately. Afterwards I bought other books using up the giftcard. I ended up with a book in my library I couldn't access or delete and customer service couldn't delete it or charge a different card. The solution was to go to my local B&N and reload the giftcard. CS was then able to complete the original transaction.
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

ALERT: Disappearing Gift Cards AGAIN!

[ Edited ]

ALERT:  B&N has, at least in my case, lost the gift card information attached to NOOK accounts.  Last night, I purchased a NOOKbook and was surprised to see that the receipt indicated it had been charged to my credit card, since I just added a $100 gift card to my account in late August.  Fortunately, I keep my gift cards (after this happened last year; see my post above), and when I added the gift card to my account again this morning, my $54.01 balance reappeared.

If you use gift cards to manage your NOOKbook purchases, you may want to check your balance to see if yours have disappeared as well.  Last time (before I learned to hold onto the physical gift card), Customer Service told me that it could not retrieve the card number and PIN to restore my balance, but I was finally able to reach a supervisor who could.

(Sorry about bumping the old thread; the message board isn't giving me the title field today for some reason, so this was the only way I could post.)

Wordsmith
tmr4

Re: ALERT: Disappearing Gift Cards AGAIN!

It happened to me again over the weekend. I did get a web page saying they were having system problems. After that my giftcards were gone. I still save my cards so I can reenter them as needed.
Contributor
pdarnold

Thank you to those who've posted about this problem. Today my gift cards and balances disappeared from my account. At least I was able to re-enter the card number and pin and retrieve the remaining balance. To those like me that purchase E-Gift cards ya might want to hold onto that email that has the number and pin until the card is empty.

Reader 4
goyankees18
0 Kudos

I too have had this problem, but unlike others when I went to reenter my giftcard number and pin it showed $0 balance. I had a $10 e-card and bought a e-book for $7.99.  Try to get help from B&N on this, but noone seem to want to help me.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Always CALL CS on the phone when you have a problem. Emailing support or trying the online chat are completely useless in my experience. You have to wait for an email response that may or may not address your problem and with online chat, they may or may not have the ability to address your problem, let alone solve it.

On the other hand, I have ALWAYS gotten great service when I called them directly. 

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Giftcards Disappeared from my Account

Is it advisable to purchase giftcards or not?
You live and you learn, some people just live!
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Giftcards Disappeared from my Account

thelios wrote:

I have never had any issues with them, and I prefer it over seeing a bunch of $4.99 charges on my credit card.  I only wish they would fix a couple things:

(a) use up one card before going after a second.  If you have more than one, they always debit the largest balance (the worst logic possible) so you end up with three cards with $4.23, $1.79 and $2.76.

(b) use my gift cards for my subscriptions.  Why is my credit card getting $3.99 dings every month for Analog and Asimov's when there's plenty of balance on my gift cards?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

thelios wrote:

No, IMO, it's not.

I only buy B&N giftcards for my parents, and only because they ask me to, even though they're aware of the issues.

They do ALWAYS make sure to keep the cards (or the emails for e-cards) because if you enter the card online and then the card "falls out of the system," you can re-enter the card and get your balance back.  If you don't have the card/email, you can't.

And they don't get worked up when their credit card is charged instead of the gift card.  And they don't mind if they have to combine a bunch of little balances, as my dad likes to spend time at their local B&N, so it's not a big deal to him.

Contributor
Jaon

I had this happen to me a couple years ago, it was the Christmas just after the Nook Color came out. After that I started keeping a spreadsheet. I enter the giftcard number on the spreadsheet when I buy it. I guess I'll start putting the pin on it too. On the other hand I usually but ecards and don't delete the email either. I did only have the giftcard info fall off my account once.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

I was advised NOT to purchase gift cards here. I went ahead and purchased one to see if I liked them, knowing that they had problems. I entered the card info ON MY NOOK COLOR not on my computer. And as of right now, I have not had any problems whatsoever. KNOCK ON WOOD. I really like the ability to purchase the books and NOT have them hitting my bank accounts.
Correspondent
thelios

I have kept my cards just in case to reenter them if the need arises.