Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen

Re: Giftcards Disappeared from My Account

Mine disappeared yesterday. Very frustrating. I have to admit though that this is only the second time it has happened since over a couple of years.

I keep a care on my account because I don't want to keep dinging the credit card everytime I buy a book. Also keeps me on a budget.

I always keep my gift cards because I reload them. This was great with the N1, had the same card for over a year. Then the feds made some sort of gift card rule that you could only reload a card so many times up to a max card lifetime limit. Now I can only reload a specific card 3 or 4 times.

In my opinion gift cards are worth it, just keep an eye on them.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

I feel the same way about gift cards exactly 100%.
You live and you learn, some people just live!
Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

I'm a little late to the conversation, but this just happened to me this morning and I am mad. I have been trying to send all my book business to B&N because I am worried they will go out of business like Borders and there will no longer be any major competition to Amazon. But when something like this happens, it makes it difficult.

This morning I went into my account and there were three gift cards on my account, as there have been for a few months. There were two red messages, the normal one about only allowing three cards on the account and then one that said the gift card I entered was not valid. I hadn't entered one. I figured it was an error so I refreshed the screen. Big mistake. The $25 gift card disappeared.

On Amazon, it lists every single gift card I have ever stored on my account, so I can easily go back and check. Not so with B&N, which I find ridiculous. When I called, the rep said if I didn't have the card, there was nothing she could do since she didn't see it on the account. I asked her didn't B&N have a history of account activity. I entered it a while ago so surely there is a record of that somewhere. Of course she said no. I had long since gotten rid of the card since it had successfully registered in my account. Lesson learned on that one- now I have to keep track of all B&N cards myself since they don't list them for me like Amazon.

I asked to speak to a supervisor at which point the rep said she would transfer me, but if I didn't have the card, they probably wouldn't be able to do anything either. I again asked to speak with a manager. It is going to take 1-5 days to find out if they are going to give me my balance back.

I'm not rich. $25 does mean something to me. But the bigger issue is that money just disappears from my account. I am trying so hard to stick with B&N and encourage all my friends and family to do the same, but when things like this happen, It is so difficult, especially when Amazon really outshines B&N in this respect. B&N, please remedy this to my satisfaction. It will break my heart if after all these years of being a die hard, loyal customer, I have to bail ship and switch to Kindle as my primary eReader.

Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

And just as a pre-emptive measure- I read somewhere else that it is the user's fault for not reading the terms that after 18 months of dormancy on a card, the balance goes away. That is absolutely incorrect and if a rep tells you that, direct them to their own terms and conditions which clearly states-

2. Maintenance, dormancy or service fees do not apply to balances on Gift Cards. Gift Cards have no expiration dates.