Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

OverDrive announced yesterday that the Harry Potter e-books would be available through its Content Reserve service for library lending. OverDrive already was the selected vendor, through its MIDAS e-bookstore service, for HP e-book sales.

Presumably the e-books will become available for purchase and for lending at the same time. Nothing was said about that, though. Libraries can pre-order copies of the HP e-books.

It's not clear to me if Kindle users will be able to check out HP e-books from the library. Kindle doesn't use OverDrive to deliver the e-books, instead relying on the e-books being delivered from Amazon's own catalog. As far as I know, OverDrive is the exclusive vendor of the HP e-books, and Amazon therefore wouldn't have those e-books in their catalog.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

The site has repeatedly claimed that Kindle will be able to read the books (if they have EPUB, it's a simple matter to run them thru KDP, if she wants control on her own, rather than thru another publisher).

For library books, Kindle uses a blend of Overdrive and the Kindle catalog - Overdrive handles the checkout and rental on the library side, then transfer it to Amazon for a Lending against one of their catalog items.

No matter, though - easy enough to read the EPUB on an iPad or Kindle Fire (hopefully with color pics, since she's dawdled along so slowly, apparently so she could learn how to program web pages on her own before bothering to push the ebooks over ... although I suspect the real problem is lack of ideas on how to push the interactive site (which presumably will start charging for use) if the ebooks have already been released).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Woohoo! Already in my library system, so I'm on the hold list for all seven titles (and still, 20 or so beat me to most titles, 34 for the first one). I'll be watching at my secondary libraries, to see if any of them start listing them anytime soon.

Release date: Apr 30, 2012

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

BooksOnTheKnob wrote:

For library books, Kindle uses a blend of Overdrive and the Kindle catalog - Overdrive handles the checkout and rental on the library side, then transfer it to Amazon for a Lending against one of their catalog items.

The part that I bolded is the big question. As I understand it, Amazon won't have the Harry Potter e-books in their catalog. If they don't, they won't be able to lend them.

I guess we'll see come the end of April.

Contributor
JisforJess

I use the Free library of Philadelphia. When you want to check out a book from their catalogue they have an option for epub or for kindle to choose from with each book. The HP books however, have no option for kindle so either those will not be availible until the day the books are released, or they just won't be available.

In case anyone wants to know, they will be availible on April 30th and you can put them on hold now if you want to.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

*Delayed* Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

OverDrive reports on their blog that they've "temporarily suspended pre-sales and display of [Harry Potter] titles at library websites. This is only a postponement, and libraries will soon be able to resume pre-ordering the titles in preparation for launch in April."

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Re: *Delayed* Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

Looks like the books are out.  Saw this on BN.com this am.  When you go to buy them, it takes you to Pottermore.com

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/harry-potter-books-ebooks/379003495

I have never read them, but plan on it now!

Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JisforJess wrote:

I use the Free library of Philadelphia. When you want to check out a book from their catalogue they have an option for epub or for kindle to choose from with each book. The HP books however, have no option for kindle so either those will not be availible until the day the books are released, or they just won't be available.

In case anyone wants to know, they will be availible on April 30th and you can put them on hold now if you want to.

Edited: Nevermind I see where I misunderstood, they aren't available to hold anymore til after they come out.  No biggie.  I can wait.  (Thank you Doug!)

Correspondent
dandelion_cottage
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just out of curiosity, I searched Amazon, and it also redirects you to Pottermore. So I'm assuming Kindle owners could buy the books there too? 

Has anyone tried buying via B&N/Pottermore for their Nook, or is it still too early? 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

dandelion_cottage wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I searched Amazon, and it also redirects you to Pottermore. So I'm assuming Kindle owners could buy the books there too? 

I didn't buy, but I looked at the buy page and a popup clearly explains that versions for all Kindles and all epub readers are avaiable.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if the complete collection is an omnibus or each of the seven books in a separate file?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

keriflur wrote:

Does anyone know if the complete collection is an omnibus or each of the seven books in a separate file?

That's what I will be ordering, when I order.  It probably won't be soon, soon, but when I do I'll report back if nobody has answered this yet.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

*Delay ends* Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

[ Edited ]

OverDrive has announced that libraries will be able to lend the Harry Potter e-books starting on Thursday at 9 AM Eastern, 6 AM Pacific time. Normal pre-ordering has resumed.

HP library e-books will be good for five years. Then the library will need to buy new copies. This is yet another wrinkle in publisher limitations on library lending.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: *Delay ends* Harry Potter e-books coming to the library

Doug_Pardee wrote:

HP library e-books will be good for five years. Then the library will need to buy new copies. This is yet another wrinkle in publisher limitations on library lending.

It's much better than 26 lends though.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Number of files in the Harry Potter collection

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

I've never seen where one purchase gets multiple files, but there's at least one report that this one does give you seven separate files: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-NOOK-Blog/Announcement-Harry-Potter-Books-Now-Available-o...

RHWright

Re: Number of files in the Harry Potter collection

Reports are that when you do the 7 book deal, it places those 7 individual files in your Pottermore library. They then can be downloaded/ported to B&N individually.

Reminds me of some of the multi-book discounting ereader used to do, back in the day.

Certainly keeps file size manageable.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies

I've just downloaded them, and this is correct.  You can choose to have them available on NOOK, or download them to your computer as EPUBs (what I did).  The site states that you get 8 downloads per book.  No problems downloading, and it seems to go pretty quickly.  (I did wonder if the site would be overwhelmed, and so far so good.)  

Scribe
frantastk

RHWright wrote:

Reports are that when you do the 7 book deal, it places those 7 individual files in your Pottermore library. They then can be downloaded/ported to B&N individually.

Reminds me of some of the multi-book discounting ereader used to do, back in the day.

Certainly keeps file size manageable.

This is correct. I bought the bundle of all 7 books this morning. When you buy the bundle, it puts all 7 individual books in your Pottermore libray. From there you can link them individually to your B&N account. When you do this it puts a copy of each book in your B&N Library on the website. From there you can sync them to your nook. You can also download them to your computer from the Pottermore website. Pottermore lets you download them a total of 8 times. Linking them to your B&N account counts as one download, but from B&N you can download them as many times as you want. 

What I did was link the books to my B&N account and downloaded them to my computer using Nook for PC. I sideload all books to  my kids' nook so they have all been sideloaded and they work beautifully (they were also all synced wirelessly to my nook). My son has been busy reading since lunch. The sketches are all there and they are really formatted nicely.

Reader
gilden
0 Kudos

This was a very different process, but easy enough. Even though I purchased the "collection" it showed up as 7 separate downloadable e-books in my newly created Pottermore account. I chose the option to link to my B&N account as I downloaded each book. Then sync'd my Nook library and they all appeared! They look and work great on my Nook Color! You get multiple downloads for the single purchase to download to other personal devices: smartphone, computer, etc. I only did one additional download to my computer so far and that worked well too!