Reply
Reader 2
jenniferbjones
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-05-2010
0 Kudos

High ebook price?

I posted this on another board, but then found this eBook discussion, so thought I would try here too...

 

I was so excited to recently recieve a Nook for my birthday.  I purchased and read my first book with ease.  I was excited to go to  my monthly book club meeting, find out our next pick and get it on my Nook.  To my surprise, "Life is So Good" by George Dawson was $17.80 to purchase as an ebook for my Nook but only $10.08 to order the paperback from bn.com.  I thought ebooks were to be less expensive than the hard copy?  I am disappointed that I am already going to be putting my nook on the shelf so I can order a paper copy or go borrow the book from the library.  Why the high price on this ebook?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

Nope, pricing can be really weird.  First of all, do a search on Agency 5 and that will explain some of it.  Some publishers won't let book sellers (B&N, Amazon, Sony, etc) sell their e-books unless they sell them for the price set by the publisher.  Don't know if this book is published by one of the "Agency 5" publishers.

 

Go to www.addall.com to price compare.  You can't buy from Amazon because of Amazon's format.  Check any post by Doug Pardee (you can find him in laurels off to the right) to see other sources for books. 

 

If you haven't figured out how to use the public libraries for e-books, check the link in my signature.  You can go to search.overdrive.com to see if that book is available at a library that you can get a card for. 

 

But there are books that are cheap enough or even free, you'll find new authors, and will really expand your reading.  Check out the libraries, and don't shelve that nook yet! 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

It's a Random House book and it's about that price everywhere.  The cheapest is Sony at about $16.00.  Amazon doesn't have it for the Kindle at any price.

 

 

Ya know, I never used to  know or care who published a book!:smileytongue:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

 

Ya know, I never used to  know or care who published a book!:smileytongue:


LOL  Isn't that the truth!

And the winner is:

 

Books A Million @ $10.18 

 

Remember, Inkmesh and AddAll don't check the following:

  1. Kobo (Didn't have this book)
  2. Borders (Did have the book!)
  3. Books A Million
  4. Maybe others I'm forgetting right now...

You would think Kobo and Borders would have the same inventory, or at least that Kobo would have it if Borders does, but it isn't working that way.

 

AND I've quite often found the prices on both Inkmesh (happens most often) and AddAll to be incorrect, so make sure you click through to check the price.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?


bklvr896 wrote:

 Amazon doesn't have it for the Kindle at any price.

 

 

Ya know, I never used to  know or care who published a book!:smileytongue:


There you go for all the people who say Amazon has everything!

 

Yep, we're just more aware of publishers now!  Another plus for buying a nook - becoming more informed about publishers.

New User
jennifer0648
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

You know, I agree with you.  I just recently purchased my Nook, and I absolutely love it.  However, the prices are somewhat ridiculous.  Not only are the ebooks expensive, but they seem to be more expensive at B&N than at other sites. 

 

Since the Nook is capable of reading Adobe PDF, can we purchase ebooks from other site (e.g., ebooks.com, etc), download them to our computers, and then upload them to our Nooks? 

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
Posts: 171
Registered: ‎05-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

I have noticed that several ebooks go for different prices at different sellers.  For example         Once in a Blue Moon by E. Goudge is around $15.00 on amazon and almost $20.00 on B&N.  What's up with that.  Why the difference for an ebook.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?


jennifer0648 wrote:

 

 

Since the Nook is capable of reading Adobe PDF, can we purchase ebooks from other site (e.g., ebooks.com, etc), download them to our computers, and then upload them to our Nooks? 

 

 


Even better, your nook reads epub and pdb files.  You can buy epubs from anyone  who sells them - Sony, Borders, Fictionwise, etc.  Not only that, there are some free sites out there.  Find a post by Doug Pardee.  He has a link in his signature to many other sources and what you need to do to buy from Sony.

 

The best part is that you can check e-books out from public libraries!  Go to search.overdrive.com to find a library that you might be able to join. Search these boards for public library.  Check the link in my signature about how to do it. 

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
Posts: 171
Registered: ‎05-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

 One reason I like the Nook is that I can have a book within seconds.  I am not good at downloading, transferring, etc.  I like having it immediately.  I don't  want to have to attach to my computer, find the book, transfer, etc.  Sorry I would rather have the book instantly. :smileysad:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

It's all personal preference!  Buying from B&N is certainly convenient!

 

Once I got the hang of checking out books from libraries and buying from others, it's no big deal for me.  When Target had a sale of Sony cards - $25 card for $15, I really learned how to purchase from Sony!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: High ebook price?

 


Andromeda208 wrote:

 One reason I like the Nook is that I can have a book within seconds.  I am not good at downloading, transferring, etc.  I like having it immediately.  I don't  want to have to attach to my computer, find the book, transfer, etc.  Sorry I would rather have the book instantly. :smileysad:


 

Unfortunately, in this as in much of life, there is a price for convenience...  Myself, I like the Nook because it allows me to shop around.

 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

[ Edited ]

@All,

A reminder here that we do allow a certain amount of freedom with regards to postings but remember:

 

No solicitation. Please do not use these forums to submit or publish any marketing communication, or to advertise or solicit for any business or enterprise. Such postings will be removed, and will result in the suspension of your access to these services. Direct links to other commercial websites are, in the main, inappropriate for our Book Club conversations.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

 

Thank you.


Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

 


Michael-V wrote:

@All,

A reminder here that we do allow a certain amount of freedom with regards to postings but remember:

 

No solicitation. Please do not use these forums to submit or publish any marketing communication, or to advertise or solicit for any business or enterprise. Such postings will be removed, and will result in the suspension of your access to these services. Direct links to other commercial websites are, in the main, inappropriate for our Book Club conversations.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

 

Thank you.



 

 

Just to clarify it a bit as always find you willing and helpful to us nook users.

 

So are you saying we are not allowed to tell others that we find a book at da-da-da-duh and it's xxx cheaper than B&N's price?

 

Or promote competing businesses that give a better deal?

 

Just wanted to have it clarified as don't want to step on anybodies nook's.

.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: High ebook price?

[ Edited ]

 


orb9220 wrote:

 


Michael-V wrote:

@All,

A reminder here that we do allow a certain amount of freedom with regards to postings but remember:

 

No solicitation. Please do not use these forums to submit or publish any marketing communication, or to advertise or solicit for any business or enterprise. Such postings will be removed, and will result in the suspension of your access to these services. Direct links to other commercial websites are, in the main, inappropriate for our Book Club conversations.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

 

Thank you.



 

 

Just to clarify it a bit as always find you willing and helpful to us nook users.

 

So are you saying we are not allowed to tell others that we find a book at da-da-da-duh and it's xxx cheaper than B&N's price?

 

Or promote competing businesses that give a better deal?

 

Just wanted to have it clarified as don't want to step on anybodies nook's.

.


 

 

AND is it only books?  What about covers, warranties, memory cards and lights?  Whatever it means, it should be consistant cuz it's starting to get confusing...  Some links are removed, others are left...

 

What about free books in other places???

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

[ Edited ]

 


FrogAlum wrote:

 

 

AND is it only books?  What about covers, warranties, memory cards and lights?  Whatever it means, it should be consistant cuz it's starting to get confusing...  Some links are removed, others are left...

 

What about free books in other places???


 

Too bad we'll never know who ordered the crackdown:  I'd send him/her a DVD of

 

 

Miracle on 34th Street

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

at my own expense, and count it money well spent.  S/he apparently missed the broadcast this past Christmas! :smileywink:

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
DeCrescenzo
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

Are we allowed to mention Google? Because if I am I would suggest everyone use it and find more productive boards to discuss things on. Of course I probably am not allowed to suggest people go to nookboards or nooktalk if they want intelligent conversation about ebooks without the corporate oversight. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: High ebook price?

@ DeCrescenzo,

 

Thank you!

 

:smileyhappy: