Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

How do you save a library book for a few days/weeks before sending it to the nook?

I remember a thread explaining this, how you save the book to a computer folder and not to ADE.  Then when you are ready to read it - you move it to ADE and the time limit starts.  Anyone remember how to do this?

Contributor
tmwwjd
0 Kudos

Re: How do you save a library book for a few days/weeks before sending it to the nook?

There is a thread about this on nookboards.com.  Apparently you download the book from the library page to a folder on your computer intead of ADE.  Then when you are ready drag the book from the folder you saved it in to ADE.  I haven't tried it yet myself.

Tracy
Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: How do you save a library book for a few days/weeks before sending it to the nook?

Download the ACSM file to a folder on your computer instead of opening it in ADE.  The self-destruct timer in the file doesn't start counting down until you open it.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Is the library still able to check that version out to others while you're sitting on it without the time limit being in effect?  I mean, this is nothing I'd ever do because I'm just grateful to be able to check them out and don't like to keep someone else from doing so.  In fact, I usually check mine in as soon as I'm finished so someone else can have it.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

The time limit at the library should be unaffected (it should expire on time in their database).

Better, though, to go ahead and get the book, copy it to your nook and if you need a few extra days, turn off wireless on the nook and don't exit the book until after you have finished reading it.

Or, just check it out again later, as your nook will remember where you were when you send it to the reader again (or, it should, anyway).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

No, it doesn't affect the library's lending period.  The library and the file don't seem to communicate that information between them, so when your 2 or 3 weeks are up, the book will go to the next person.  I've opened as ACSM file even after my checkout period at the library expired, and it still gave me the regular 2 weeks to read the ebook.

Frequent Contributor
swok34
0 Kudos

I have a book sitting in a computer file that already checked itself back in to test this "wait to read" mode.

Basically all you are doing is choosing when you read it.  I was running into the problem of being in the middle of a book when a book I was waiting on at the library became available.

I've read that you can check a book out, download it and check it back in so that someone else may check it out.  You still have the time you set to read the book.

Using this "save but don't open method" you wouldn't be able to do that.

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

That is awesome!  Thanks for this information.  My problem has been that all the books on my waiting list have an annoying habit of all becoming available at once.  Then I suddenly am frantically trying to finish 3 books in 21 days...which never happens of course.  So I have to do an eenie meenie on which two I'll sacrifice.

Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I understand this reply.  "Save but don't open" method allows you to keep the book saved without the time period starting.  Checking a book out, dowloading it, then checking it back in - does what exactly?  Won't it leave ADE since I have to return it with ADE?

Frequent Contributor
WVU77
0 Kudos

When I click download on the library site it automatically opens ADE and puts it there.  How do you get it to give you a choice of locations so you can save it somewhere else on your computer?

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

WVU77 wrote:

When I click download on the library site it automatically opens ADE and puts it there.  How do you get it to give you a choice of locations so you can save it somewhere else on your computer?

It's a setting in your browser.  I spent about an hour one night looking for it so that I could force the browser to ask me what to do with the file when I clicked download, rather than automatically opening it in ADE.  In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Applications tab and look for Adobe Content Server Message in the list.  Set it to "Always Ask".  Then when you click download, it should pull up a window asking you what to do with the file, and you can choose to save it to your computer instead of opening it in ADE.

That's where the setting is in Firefox.  It's probably somewhere similar in Outlook.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

WVU77 wrote:

Right-click on the download button and choose Save As.....

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Frequent Contributor
WVU77
0 Kudos

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

Okay, so what am I doing wrong then?  I made a new folder on my computer, went to the library site and clicked download and then 'save as', it saved it to a download folder and then I moved it to the new folder I made for ebooks.  A few days later I moved the book to ADE to test it out and it showed I only had 19 of 21 days left.  So the count down started without it going into ADE when I first downloaded it.

What am I doing wrong?

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Don't open the file.  As soon as you open it it starts counting down.  If you save it, you should only have the acsm file on your computer, and the ebook should NOT open in ADE.

Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

Geesh, I am a slow learner. I checked the "always ask" option (which actually was already checked) in Firefox under Adobe Content Server Message.

The books are in my download file, but they seem to be automatically going in to ADE. Cannot understand how to create a folder to put the books in, much less get the books into it.

Frequent Contributor
nutz4books
0 Kudos

I have tried this workaround, but for me, it doesn't work.  I did exactly as suggested, which is to save the ACSM file to my computer's hard drive, rather than opening it.  Then at a later date, when I was ready to read the library book, I tried opening it with ADE.  I got a message from ADE that the file cannot be found/it was expired.  So as an experiment, I took a book I still had in my OVerdrive library shelf and opened that file from my hard drive.  It loaded into ADE, but it showed only X numbers of days left.  So it seems as if the clocks for both ADE and Overdrive are in sync, somehow.  

Is there a step I missed?  Or does anyone know of an alternative workaround?  I tried this both on my Mac and a PC (saved ACSM files to external hard drive) with the same result.

Contributor
gtownreader
0 Kudos

It's odd that I've been able to save library books even past the original due date.  However I just tried to load two books that were still checked out but had been downloaded several days ago.  I got an error message: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED.  Both books were new releases recently added to the library site.  It appears that newer books somehow act differently in ADE.  I had to download them again from the library site and when opened in ADE, they only had the remaining days left.  Has anyone else noticed a problem with saving new releases and opening later in ADE?

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

ADE fixed this loophole within the last few weeks, because it just stopped working for me, too.  Seems ADE automatically updates to fix problems like this, because books that I downloaded the ACSM file for weeks ago aren't working, either.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

Yes, I noticed this too, within the last 8 days. Now I have to fire up the old desktop computer each day I get something rather than once a week. (I don't want ADE on my laptop, my primary machine.)