Frequent Contributor
nutz4books
0 Kudos

Re: How do you save a library book for a few days/weeks before sending it to the nook?

It's good to know that others noticed the change.  Back in February, I had done an experiment with a checked out book from Overdrive, and it worked as expected.  It was an old file, but opened up in ADE with the full loan period.  I thought I was either 1) losing my mind and imagined that it had worked a month ago or 2) something had changed or 3) i was doing something wrong.

It is too bad that this little workaround doesn't work anymore.  Now I have to cram to finish what I get, and I tend to put the max number of holds possible due to the really long wait times.  Of course, as luck would have it, they come in in bunches!  I was looking forward to reading them at my leisure.  Oh well, life's not perfect!  At least it's still a free read.  There'll just be a lot of sleepy days ahead as I try to finish all my library books at once!

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: How do you save a library book for a few days/weeks before sending it to the nook?

ADE does not fix anything else wrong with the program and they fix this? Damn, sometimes books on hold come in too fast and I have to save them now most of them will be expired by the time I get to them, and I am a fast reader.  I did check one of them, and sure enough,gone, just gone.  

O well it was nice while it lasted, going to have to start another list: Books to check out or hold again.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

I try to manage my holds so that I don't get everything at once, or when I'm already swamped.  Or at least, that's what I was doing before I discovered I could save the ACSM file and come back to it later, so that's what I'm going to have to do again.  My library tells me where I am in the holds list, so if I notice I'm coming up too quickly, I just remove my hold and place another, putting me back at the end of the list.  Except for a few super popular ebooks (Dragon Tattoo trilogy, mainly), hold lists at my library are usually no more than about 5 or 10 holds, so this works pretty well for me.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

swan480 wrote:

I try to manage my holds so that I don't get everything at once, or when I'm already swamped.  Or at least, that's what I was doing before I discovered I could save the ACSM file and come back to it later, so that's what I'm going to have to do again.  My library tells me where I am in the holds list, so if I notice I'm coming up too quickly, I just remove my hold and place another, putting me back at the end of the list.  Except for a few super popular ebooks (Dragon Tattoo trilogy, mainly), hold lists at my library are usually no more than about 5 or 10 holds, so this works pretty well for me.

Good idea. I had to re-download all the library books that were still good date wise but not loaded into ADE yet. Only the ones from today were still good. So you must have to place them into ADE right away.  

And of course ADE did one of it's lovely quirks and loaded 2,3 or 4 copies of everything, so I had to delete all the extras.   But hey, why bother fixing crap like that or a dozen other things. I did not mind working around the problems before, but now I am rather annoyed.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

I've noticed I can no longer archive Overdrive books and read when I want.  If there is some  communication going on between the unopened file and Overdrive I wonder if I store the books on a backup hard drive, instead of my computer that's constantly online, if that will make a difference.  I might download a book and experiment with that and see if it works.

Frequent Contributor
swok34
0 Kudos

storing the book on an external drive didn't work for me :smileysad:

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

The loophole has been closed. People will just have to speed read.