Frequent Contributor
swok34
0 Kudos

How long does it take for a library book to be available

[ Edited ]

I apologize if this questions has been asked already........

and I understand that some books never become library books.

How long does it take for a new book to become available for check out at the library?

I am watching for Brad Melter's The Inner Circle.  I read another of Brad's books checked out through the library.  The audio copy became available almost immediately, but I'm not a listenter, strictly a reader

Typically if I am looking for a book, I check Overdrive first to make sure it is available to the library.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: How long does it take for a library book to be available

You probably need to contact your library - the library has to purchase the licenses for their ebooks so it might depend on the acquisitions budget.

swok34 wrote:

I apologize if this questions has been asked already........

and I understand that some books never become library books.

How long does it take for a new book to become available for check out at the library?

I am watching for Brad Melter's The Inner Circle.  I read another of Brad's books checked out through the library.  The audio copy became available almost immediately, but I'm not a listenter, strictly a reader

Typically if I am looking for a book, I check Overdrive first to make sure it is available to the library.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
ShazInNV
0 Kudos

Like Melissa says, contact your library.  My library's website has a link to request a book be added to the print library or to the digital library.  I rarely request an addition, but when I have they are pretty quick to add the book.

Contributor
mmd12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I go to the attached website to see if an eBook is available to the libraries that use overdrive, if it does not show Find at a Library (make sure it is an ePub), than it is not available to your library to buy. 

I have been looking for Awakened by PC Cast to become available as an ePub book through overdrive, it was released in January 2011, and the library has the audiobook, but it is still not available to the library as an ePub, so I wait.

I use this website:

http://search.overdrive.com/Default.aspx

Hope this helps, Michelle

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

mmd12 wrote:

I have been looking for Awakened by PC Cast to become available as an ePub book through overdrive

That's a Macmillan title, and Macmillan doesn't provide e-books to OverDrive for library lending.

Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto
0 Kudos

If it isn't available, you can always request it. That might speed things up and get your name on the list first. I've done it before.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.