Contributor
AlisonLK
0 Kudos

Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

Wonderful! Both myself and my boyfriend each recently bought out-of-state memberships to the Free Library - at $30 total ($15 a piece), it's a steal!  I'm glad to hear that they take suggestions and actually respond - there are definitely a few titles that I'd like to see added to their collection.

Inspired Contributor
emmyk
0 Kudos

FYI: This is up to $35/year now for out-of-state residents.  Within PA it appears to be free.

Inspired Contributor
emmyk
0 Kudos

Re: I found a public library for eBooks! YEAH!

FYI: Arlington charges for a non-city-resident card now.  There are various levels, but the cheapest is $25 and it appears to give full access to remote services such as eBooks.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

There's also a lending library at OpenLibrary.org, which is free to use from anywhere in the world. Like Overdrive, they limit you to five books at a time, and you have to use ADE to open the books and transfer them to your Nook.

The OpenLibrary borrowing collection is about 10,000 books (I think this is comparable to but a bit smaller than Overdrive), but if you're lucky enough to live near one of their 1,000 affiliated libraries (which are very oddly clustered in the U.S.), you get in-library access to "interlibrary loans" from their much larger collection of 100,000. Alas, my nearest location is a two-hour drive away.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
Beach57
0 Kudos

An out-of-state library card has gone up to $35 now.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Central Texas now has a digital library.

Several cities are listed as being part of the central texas library consortium. If you have a card to any of them, you can use it. For folks who live in central texas but might live in rural areas (as I do), you're best bet would be one of the towns that do not charge for out of town residents such as Pflugerville. Some of the cities charge a small fortune for out of town folks, but Pflugerville is free as long as you have a photo ID to prove you live in central texas.

http://ctdl.lib.overdrive.com/21C13710-ED66-4DC4-AA9A-170625CF9ED3/10/696/en/BrowseeBookFiction.htm

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Central Texas now has a digital library.

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Several cities are listed as being part of the central texas library consortium. If you have a card to any of them, you can use it. For folks who live in central texas but might live in rural areas (as I do), you're best bet would be one of the towns that do not charge for out of town residents such as Pflugerville. Some of the cities charge a small fortune for out of town folks, but Pflugerville is free as long as you have a photo ID to prove you live in central texas.

http://ctdl.lib.overdrive.com/21C13710-ED66-4DC4-AA9A-170625CF9ED3/10/696/en/BrowseeBookFiction.htm

Actually I believe it is for any resident of Texas. I have over sixteen library cards in Texas. I live north of Dallas.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: Central Texas now has a digital library.

[ Edited ]

That could be true!! I was just excited that it was in my area!

Edited:

From what I read, you had to have a card to any of the libraries involved so whether it was free or open to just residents or not depends on the library. Pflugerville was the only one nearby to me (well within a 40 mile radius) that was free to non-residents. I didn't go out of my way to check out any further than that. And you are right, Pflugerville is open to any Texas resident. Taylor was on the list too and that is only 10 miles away, but as a non-resident because I live in the country, it is $10 a year for a library card. Round Rock used to be $50 a year and that may have changed too. I have an Austin library card which is free to any Texas resident, but it is not a member of this system so that card won't work.

Basically, the requirements are up to the participating library where you get your card.