Re: I will not buy any more eBooks

Thanks Gordon. Excellent idea.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@swan480,

In this case the price did not jump $5 overnight.

Which is why I said, "I see from the above posts that toy4x4 was wrong about the prices..."

But there have been cases where that has happened, which is why I discussed it anyway.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

@toy - alas, not every ebook makes it to the public library.  That's up to the publisher.

Inspired Contributor
pam-livingimage

There are lots of wonderful books at low prices, but for my favorites I will pay higher prices.  I love the John Sandford 'Prey' novels and paid $14.95 for the newest.

It will forever be on my ereader.  It won't get moldy, burn up, or be destroyed in a flood.  So the high price is okay. 

Many authors have great sales, as well, to get their books out there.  I'm one of them.  We spend years writing.  You can live many lifetimes through books.

(All on sale for $0.99 cents - all over 400 pages)

The Necromancer  - paranormal, scary fun

The Living Image  - thriller- clones,  spies, counterespionage

Midnight Reflections - romantic suspense - and murder

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

I bought the original nook when it first came out and the big selling point was for $9.99 for new releases. Yes, I was upset when the "agency model" came out and prices raised within months.  After having my nook for over a year I have about 400 books on it.  Many are free from B&N's giveaways and Doug's fantastic never-ending list.

My basic price to buy books is at $9.99, I'll put them on my wish list and wait for the price to go down.  Usually they do.  However, if I really want a new book that has come out, I will pay more.

Today I enjoyed a freebie at the B&N cafe (so delicious) and read-in-store from the new Jodi Picoult book, Sing You Home.  It had gone down from the original price of $14.99 to $12.99.  I decided I wanted to read it now and bought it.

I'd love all books to be priced lower, but as many people have stated that we have the choice to buy or not, go the the library, lend, or share from another's library.  Our choice.  I purchased a nook, and I plan to enjoy the convenience of it and purchase books or not.  I agree that I would like to see prices lower, but can't always get what you want in the real world.

Contributor
PremiumCrouton
0 Kudos

Mmmm prices are set off of the list price for the physical book as far as I know...thus it would make sense that a brand new ebook edition of a brand new hard cover edition would be more...

Its the same reason people wait for the Hardcovers to go to paper back...

I think the original poster is being a bit ridiculous in what they expect from publishers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@TXAnnie

I think you speak for many of us -- you certainly speak for me.  I remember how adamant you were about the $9.99 price point when the Agency Model went into effect.  I was never quite so tied to the particular price point, but the Model was and is wrong -- not so much because of any particular price point, but because it destroys price competition.

I've gone through the same evolution you have:  into a more discerning consumer, not a non-participant.  I still buy lots of books, and some I pay $12.99 or $14.99 or even more for.  Some I pay less for, some I get free, and I pass on a lot of books that I would have snapped up at $9.99.

My Nook didn't really lose value because the publishers are shortsighted:  it's still a convenient, enjoyable way to read books, and I've still gotten a lot of value for my money.  :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

The squeeze is on:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/15/publisher-starts-annual-e-book-licensing-for-libraries-attempts/

It will be interesting to see what the librarires do...

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@TXAnnie

I think you speak for many of us -- you certainly speak for me.  I remember how adamant you were about the $9.99 price point when the Agency Model went into effect.  I was never quite so tied to the particular price point, but the Model was and is wrong -- not so much because of any particular price point, but because it destroys price competition.

I've gone through the same evolution you have:  into a more discerning consumer, not a non-participant.  I still buy lots of books, and some I pay $12.99 or $14.99 or even more for.  Some I pay less for, some I get free, and I pass on a lot of books that I would have snapped up at $9.99.

My Nook didn't really lose value because the publishers are shortsighted:  it's still a convenient, enjoyable way to read books, and I've still gotten a lot of value for my money.  :smileyhappy:

Though I tend to look for cheaper titles, I have come to the same feeling that if it's a book I really really want I'll pay the price.  The conveniece of being able to take my books anywhere and read anywhere is worth it.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
Hmr28
0 Kudos

Read indies!!! Can't beat .99-4.99 for most of them. During smashwords read an e-book week I found 40 (new to me) authors and all the books I "bought" were free. I've read 8 of them so far. 4 were excellent. I can't believe a traditional publisher did not snap them up. They were so good that I came back to BN and bought every book I could find by those 4 authors. 2 were ok, readable but not great and 2 were terrible. I don't know about you all but if half the books I read by traditional publishers were 8-10 stars I'd be VERY happy. The only problem I have found with indie books is the lack of reviews on many of them. During read an e-book week I decided to do a concentrated search and found a few sites that provide good balanced reviews. Goodreads is great-just type in indie in the search bar and several groups come up I found a ton to get that way. I also found Indie Paranormal Book Reviews (for those of you who like paranormals-lots of YA books reviewed). I have made it my goal to stop purchasing books from the Big 6. I plan on spending my dollars on indies from here on out.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@toy4x4

Gotta love that headline!  (Nice Nook picture, too.) :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
IslandAway
0 Kudos

I personally love the convenience of the Nook.   I have never purchased  very many hard cover books in the past, as I preferred to wait for the paperback version or used the library.

I also like the library, and have also found going to the B&N store with my Nook also treats me to a new experience.  I wouldn't trade one for the other as each gives me something different.

My favorite "guilty pleasure" is searching the "freebies"  for new ebooks to treat myself to a new author or genre. 

Love my Nook, Love the Library and most of all Love to Read.

Remember Never say never....unless you are prepared to eat your own words.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Deciding what price to pay has always been a decision whether it's e-books, DTB's or whatever the product is.  I don't understand why people get upset about e-book prices.  They are what the market will bear just like anything else.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
scott88

AlanNJ wrote:

Deciding what price to pay has always been a decision whether it's e-books, DTB's or whatever the product is.  I don't understand why people get upset about e-book prices.  They are what the market will bear just like anything else.

Some of it is because a lot of people got the $9.99 price point drummed into them and now think of it as the "real price" so anything hire is to expensive.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I don't recall any guarantees that e-book pricing would not rise about $9.99.  Maybe I missed the announcement.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@TXAnnie

I'm impressed ABthree, you have an incredible memory!  Yes, I was really frustrated when the prices jumped so soon after I had purchased my nook (and two for my daughters) when the big sales pitch was the $9.99 prices.  Now, I have calmed down and faced reality.

shadowcat80

TXAnnie wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@TXAnnie

I'm impressed ABthree, you have an incredible memory!  Yes, I was really frustrated when the prices jumped so soon after I had purchased my nook (and two for my daughters) when the big sales pitch was the $9.99 prices.  Now, I have calmed down and faced reality.

I have changed my mind as well.  I have said a few times on the posting of the random house joinning the agency model that I wouldn't go over 9.99 but, I have come to realize that if I really want to read a book, I'm willing to pay the price for the convience of having it on my nook and here's the reality that I wasn't willing to see but, now I do everything has gone up in price, its ignorant to think e-books price stays the same when everything else has gotten more expensive.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
ABthree
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I don't recall any guarantees that e-book pricing would not rise about $9.99.  Maybe I missed the announcement.

You didn't get that memo!?!?!?  It came out almost a year ago.

You must have really ticked somebody off in the head shed.  :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

ABThree and AnnieTX said it very well above.

ebooks are like anything else- the price is driven by what the market will bear.  When prices go up we have to decide if it's worth it to us individually to purchase the product at the new price. The answer may be different for each one of us.  When I recently read a freebie I enjoyed (first in the series by an author new to me) I then decided- ok- let's see how much the 2nd book in the series is- $9.99? Is it worth $9.99 to me? Nah, not right now, so I'll check and see if any of the 3 libraries I have cards at has it as an ebook-yes- so put myself on the waiting list.  If not, as was the case of another title I was interested in, well I'll just wait for it to either come available at one of those libraries, for the price to go down, or for it to be come a limited time promotional freebie, or until I feel the value justifies the price.

It's really not any different than when the price of gas goes up- I have to either, decide it's worth it and pay the additional cost, or buy(and use) less gas.

Every company in existance wants to make more profit this year than it did last year- how they attempt to achieve that may be to sell the same amount of product at higher prices(possibly by increasing the value of their product through upgrades, innovation, or improved service), sell more product at the same price, or even more at lower prices,  whichever combination of those items the market will bear.  We all want a raise in our jobs too- I assume that includes BN and publishers' employees.  That $$ has to come from somewhere.

It all comes down to what the individual consumer is willing to pay for a product they desire.  I rarely pay more than $8 for an ebook- I can count on one hand the number of titles I've paid more than 9.99 for, but that's my personal choice.  If it was a title I really wanted, and needed right away- I'd probably pay $25 for it. At this point, my preference for most titles is in ebook format, so I would pay an equal price for some titles that I would for a hardcover- again, if it was a title that I really wanted to own, and was unwilling to wait for.

But, I really haven't said anything that other's haven't.  If you don't want to buy any more ebooks- then don't- there are plenty of avenues for you to read them for free.  But someone's going to have to continue to buy them, or at some point, the supply will dry up.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

chefclaire wrote:

But, I really haven't said anything that other's haven't.  If you don't want to buy any more ebooks- then don't- there are plenty of avenues for you to read them for free.  But someone's going to have to continue to buy them, or at some point, the supply will dry up.

It's obvious that people are willing to pay what the market will bear or prices would have gone down already.  I don't see how an e-book supply can dry up though... There's no shortage of 1's and 0's that I know of...

Judging by grocery and gas prices, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the publishers start blaming the Middle East and Japanese earthquakes for current pricing.  Everyone else is.