Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

I will not buy any more eBooks

Take a look at the price of all the new eBooks. Most around $12 or more. Previous book in the series was $8.

Let me give you an example.

The Lost Fleet: Valiant (Book 6 of 6) by Jack Campbell.  $8 pre-ordered for April 27th,2010 release.

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught  $12 pre-order for April 26th, 2011 release.

I won't BUY it. And I expect most everything else will be about the same. So I won't buy those either.

Wordsmith
swan480

Re: I will not buy any more eBooks

Well, that's your choice, but the prices going up doesn't mean that I won't buy any at all -- just that I buy fewer, and have higher standards.  Every dollar the price goes up means I have to think a little harder about whether I want the book badly enough to spend the money.  If I don't -- well, that's what the public library is for.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos
Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

Yep,

I'll wait until the library has it if I ever remember.

I was mistaken on the new price. It was really $12.99

So a $5 increase for no real reason. Heck, the hardback is only $3 more.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

toy4x4 wrote:

Take a look at the price of all the new eBooks. Most around $12 or more. Previous book in the series was $8.

Let me give you an example.

The Lost Fleet: Valiant (Book 6 of 6) by Jack Campbell.  $8 pre-ordered for April 27th,2010 release.

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught  $12 pre-order for April 26th, 2011 release.

I won't BUY it. And I expect most everything else will be about the same. So I won't buy those either.

I'm curious about your numbers:

Victorious (Lost Fleet Series #6) 

Currently listed at $7.99. (The paperback is $7.91)

The pre-order price for the next book is: $12.99.

If you want to give up eBooks because of the price, then you would have to buy the hardcover for the pre-order price of $16.60.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I looked at the prices and am completely confused by this argument.

Another book in the series is more expensive then the previous version YET at the same time the NEW hardback (new release) is a lot MORE expensive then the ebook???

So he doesn't want to buy ebooks anymore because the new release is more even though it is even more as a hardback?  making the ebook actually CHEAPER.

sorry, not following I guess why youa re not buying ebooks because of price when they are actually cheaper in this case

Reader 4
rainy1750

I agree that the prices of the ebooks are going up and making it not worth while to purchase any of the new books when i can get it for free at the library.  I bought the Nook and enjoy reading on it but if i can get a paperback for less $$ in the stores or at the library, I do so.  I think the fact that we all purchased the Nooks and now have to pay these increases is not fair to the consumers, who are once again getting screwed by corporate America.  The same thing goes for the Kindle and amazon.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

rainy1750 wrote:

I agree that the prices of the ebooks are going up and making it not worth while to purchase any of the new books when i can get it for free at the library.  I bought the Nook and enjoy reading on it but if i can get a paperback for less $$ in the stores or at the library, I do so.  I think the fact that we all purchased the Nooks and now have to pay these increases is not fair to the consumers, who are once again getting screwed by corporate America.  The same thing goes for the Kindle and amazon.

But:

1) You can also get free ebooks from the Library

2) I have seen MANY ebooks that are LESS than the paper backs

3) When is the last time you walked into a pyhsical book store and they said "go ahead, there is a table of over 200 free books, go ahead and grab as many as you want"? I doubt that has ever happened, yet there are free eBooks all the time.  In the short 3 months I have had my Nook, and even with being very selective in what i download, I have nabbed about 30 QUALITY free books.  or ~ 10/month so far. 

finally, I did not get a Nook because the books are so much cheaper.  I got a nook so I can go to the beach on vacation without carting 10- 12 books in the car between my wife and I.  Also for the convience.  The library (for me) is 14 miles away or about 25 minutes.  I can instead access the library for my nook and get books instantly or at times reserve and grab once they are available.

just my opinion/reaction

Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

I'm in the group that has a price limit of $7 for a Nookbook. More than that, and I'll either get it from the library or buy a DTB paperback.

I've got about a zillion books on the Nook, so I don't have to worry about books for trips.

Holly

Correspondent
toy4x4

Let me rephrase. I won't buy the eBook at $13 and I won't buy the Hardback version either.

I like Holly's idea. I won't pay more than $8 for a eBook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

[ Edited ]

rainy1750 wrote:

I think the fact that we all purchased the Nooks and now have to pay these increases is not fair to the consumers, who are once again getting screwed by corporate America

Um, I'm confused.  That would be the same Corporate America that made it possible for you to obtain a Nook in the first place, wouldn't it?

How exactly are you "getting screwed" -- because you can't name your own price?  Is somebody forcing you to buy overpriced eBooks under penalty of law?  Or barring your way to the public libraries?

Interesting how few people who rant against "Corporate America" actually want to go somewhere else to get away from it.  It's not hard:  no Corporate America in Somalia.  Or Burkina Faso.  Or North Korea.

Closer to home, you could always pick Cuba or Venezuela.  Heck, in Venezuela you wouldn't even have to see many commercials from Corporate Venezuela (as much of it as is left), with all the television time Chavez takes up.  Enjoy!

Two or three caveats about Cuba and Venezuela, though, before you leave:  you'll be free of Corporate America, but you won't be able to name your price for anything there, either.  Your choice of eBooks will be rather ... limited.  Oh, and you won't always be able to charge your Nook, either.  DAMN that Corporate America and its 24/7 electric power!   :smileytongue:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

Don't be so quick to assume you can't charge your Nook in Venezuela. They have adapters for that.

ABthree
0 Kudos

toy4x4 wrote:

Don't be so quick to assume you can't charge your Nook in Venezuela. They have adapters for that.

All the adapters in the world won't help you unless the power's on.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
swan480

RSC_Nook wrote:

So he doesn't want to buy ebooks anymore because the new release is more even though it is even more as a hardback?  making the ebook actually CHEAPER.

sorry, not following I guess why youa re not buying ebooks because of price when they are actually cheaper in this case

I don't mind ebooks for new releases being more expensive.  That makes sense when the book is only out in hardback.  However...
There have been a lot of cases lately where ebooks that have been out for a while suddenly jumped in price.  May still be cheaper than the hardback, but they've still increased the price.
Tell me something...  If a mass market paperback you wanted had been $7.99 for a long time, but when you finally went to buy it, you found that it was $12.99 even though it was still the same exact product, would you still buy it?  Because you could easily make the same argument here -- "It's still cheaper than the hardback."
I see from the above posts that toy4x4 was wrong about the prices, but my point here is that the "cheaper than the hardback" argument is not enough.  The price still has to be appropriate for the product.  No one would accept prices for mass market paperbacks jumping $5 overnight, so why is it okay for ebooks?
ABthree

swan480 wrote:
I see from the above posts that toy4x4 was wrong about the prices, but my point here is that the "cheaper than the hardback" argument is not enough.  The price still has to be appropriate for the product.  No one would accept prices for mass market paperbacks jumping $5 overnight, so why is it okay for ebooks?

The only price that's "appropriate" for an eBook is the price that the buyer is willing to pay.  Nobody's wrong:  not toy4x4, not RSC_Nook, not you, not me. 

RSC_Nook and I will probably buy more eBooks than you, and you'll probably buy more than toy4x4, that's all. 

Funny thing about this whole discussion is that, chances are with all the free books and low priced books out there, we'll probably ALL end up with more eBooks on our Nooks than we can read in any reasonable length of time.

Go, free enterprise and consumer choice!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
shadowcat80

Keep your eyes open and watch for limited time specials, a lot of books will go on showcase and get cheaper for a short time. 

Also some books are cheap anyways, don't just give up on all books alltogether, plus as others have mentioned the 12.99 is still cheaper then the new release prices for hardbacks. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-NOOKcolor-and/bg-p/Unbound

The unbound blog is a great place to find books that are showcased cheaper for a time being.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@swan480,

In this case the price did not jump $5 overnight.

Books 1 - 6 in the series are $7.99

Book 7, which has not been released yet, is available for pre-order as a $16 hardback, or a $13 eBook.

There is no paperback version of book 7.

It looks like book 6 was a direct to paperback release. This is not unusual in the industry. Earlier novels are released as paperback, but once the series becomes popular, new installments are released as hardcover first.

I'm not the publisher, so I can't predict the future price of this book, but I suspect given the price of the other books in the series, book 7 will sell for $7.99 when the paperback becomes available.

So just like the bad old days before eBooks, if you don't want to pay the new release premium price, wait for the paperback.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

New releases are usually higher priced, so if you are willing to wait awhile, the price will usually come down.

Contributor
GordonRyan

[ Edited ]

Toy, there are other options.  I don't buy the same genre that you seem to read, but an author friend of mine, Nathan Lowell, writes them at a far reduced price with great success.  And they are half the price you mentioned.  Give a look at:

Gordon Ryan

Quarter Share  

and his second in the series

Half Share

A traditionally published author since 1994

State of Rebellion | Uncivil Liberties
Spirit of Union Trilogy