Contributor
IslandAway
0 Kudos

In Store Reading Options

According to the B&N website, there are special offers for Nook owners in store including

reading free for one hour.  My question for those that have taken advantage of this offer....where does the book appear and can you book mark for future reading?    Does the book disappear after you leave the store?  And does the bookmark re appear when you return to the store. 

Luving My Nook...

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: In Store Reading Options

I am curious about this too.  I don't have the Nook, just the Nook app on my iPhone, and I've wondered if this would be one of the advantages that would make getting a Nook worthwhile.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Some e-books are available for Read In Store, some aren't. You can't tell which until you get to the store.

When you connect to B&N's hotspot, a screen will automatically come up offering Read In Store. Also, in Shop there will be an additional "Read In Store" option on the available e-books.

You can read any available e-book for an hour, then you can read another e-book for an hour, and another, until you get tired of it. The next day, you can come back and read another hour on each of those e-books, or on different e-books. B&N keeps track of where you are in each e-book, and there's a list on your NOOK of the e-books you've been reading so you can go straight to them.

The e-books aren't downloaded to your NOOK. They're fed to your NOOK a screenful at a time, as if you were using a Web browser, although it looks the same as normal e-book reading. You don't get to choose the font or size. Each screenful is counted as a page, so the page number on Read In Store is different from the page numbering in the e-book. Since the e-book isn't downloaded to your NOOK, it's not on there when you leave the store.

Note: if you have multiple NOOKs on one account and both are reading the same e-book in-store, the 60-minute limit applies to the total of the NOOKs. As a simple example, you might have two NOOKs and one gets to read for 32 minutes and the other for 28 minutes (the second one started reading 4 minutes after the first).

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

IslandAway wrote:

According to the B&N website, there are special offers for Nook owners in store including

reading free for one hour.  My question for those that have taken advantage of this offer....where does the book appear and can you book mark for future reading?    Does the book disappear after you leave the store?  And does the bookmark re appear when you return to the store. 

Luving My Nook...

To add to what Doug said, it does remember if you go back and choose read in store on the same book, and you can do this at different B&N.

But, if you decide to buy the book, try to stop reading at the end of chapter, so you can get back to where you were.  When you buy and download the book, it does NOT remember where you are, and as Doug pointed out, each screen is one page, so the page numbers are different.  I found out the hard way that ending at chapter is the easiest way to get to where you were if you decide to buy the book.

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

I love the in store reading. It gives me a much better idea of whether I want to buy the book or not, since the free samples sometimes barely get into the first few pages of the actual book.

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

juneau wrote:

I love the in store reading. It gives me a much better idea of whether I want to buy the book or not, since the free samples sometimes barely get into the first few pages of the actual book.

I really like this option when I have the time. I would do this fairly often over the summer- in fact I read the Stephenie Meyer (Twighlight) "novella" that came out this summer that way- in 3 sessions of reading in store.  I wanted to read it, but couldn't justify the 9.99 price, and reading it on the nook was so much nicer than reading it on my computer (she had it free to read from your PC on her website for a month after it came out).  Went to BN, got a treat and beverage in the cafe, and read away. 

I also agree that it gives you a better picture of a book you may like to purchase than the samples that are offered, as some of them are very short, by the time you get past the acknowlegements and table of contents, there might be only a few pages to sample.

This winter, I mostly feel like staying home by the fire to read on my Nook.  Too darn cold to leave the house right now, unless it's absolutely necessary!  Thankfully, I have my nook- loaded with tons of books, and if I'm so inclined, I can buy whatever I want from the comfort of my chair.

Contributor
AJCrowley
0 Kudos

I've used the read-in-store feature a few times now and I love it.

I did have one question that I was hoping someone could clear up, since I don't know if it's a real issue or if my NOOK just had a temporary issue.

I started reading a book at B&N (not sure the book itself was the issue, but it was Veronika Decides to Die). Read for my approximate hour and went home. A few weeks later I went back to a different B&N and tried to open the book. When I clicked on "Recently Read in Store" it told me that the book was no longer available. I searched the store again, found the book, and it opened just fine, allowing me to continue reading it in the store (although I had to manually flip through 70 or so pages, since it didn't save my place). I went back a week later to pick up this book again and no problems, it remembered my place and everything.

So my question to anyone who regularly uses this feature (or who is "in the know") is why it didn't let me pick up the book after the first read. I'm guessing it was either a) because I was in a different store, b) because it had been 3 or 4 weeks since I had read last and that was too long for it to remember, or c) just a random issue that probably won't happen again.

Again, this is not a big issue - I love the NOOK and love the read-in-store feature. I just want to clarify this issue for the future. :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Most likely the e-book had been re-issued with a different ISBN. That happens from time to time. Sony lists that e-book under ISBN 978-0-06-119484-9, while B&N now lists it under 978-0-06-183543-8.

Contributor
AJCrowley
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Most likely the e-book had been re-issued with a different ISBN. That happens from time to time. Sony lists that e-book under ISBN 978-0-06-119484-9, while B&N now lists it under 978-0-06-183543-8.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks. At first I thought it was because I was in a different store, but it's good to know that that's not the case.

I've noticed that they re-issue books sometimes (have had to adjust my wish list because of it), but I didn't even consider that here. Thanks for the help.

Reader
TenaciousJay
0 Kudos

Good to know you can read an hour PER book.  That's pretty cool.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Like I believe it was Doug_Pardee said, if you have multiple nooks on the same account it you only get part of the time on each nook.

The same is true for separate accounts on the same credit card. My two kids and I each have nooks, they each have their own account but all accounts are on my credit card. When we go in we can only read for about 20 minutes before we time out. We are reading different books on different accounts, the only same variable is the credit card. It's kind of annoying, but for free I won't complain.

Reader 4
btgrant
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if the new NOOK comic books work for free in-store reading?
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

My first edition nook died under warranty and they replaced it with the Simple Touch (I guess there are out of nook first editions). Anyway for Read In Store, it is not remembering the page I was on. I was reading 2 different books and both books put me at page 1 when I came in to read the second time.

Is there a setting I need to do?

pen21
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

My first edition nook died under warranty and they replaced it with the Simple Touch (I guess there are out of nook first editions). Anyway for Read In Store, it is not remembering the page I was on. I was reading 2 different books and both books put me at page 1 when I came in to read the second time.

Is there a setting I need to do?

It seems my Simple Touch has a software update that they think caused it not to remember the page I was on for Read In Store. It worked the next time I tried this in store. I hope it keeps working.

New User
Jeanna22
0 Kudos

When I read a book for the hour, the next time I go back, sometimes as much as a week or two later, and try to read more in that book, it tells me my hour has expired.  This has happened to me so much lately and the clerk in B&N can't tell me why.  It will let me read a new book for an hour but nothing I have started before.

I have gone into the store as they open and have gotten the same message, even thought the store has only been open a few minutes.

Any ideas anyone??

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Various people in the past have reported that this problem can be resolved if you can get the store manager to reboot their wifi server.
Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

It's a bug in their system and has worked this way for a couple of years. They have no interest in fixing it, obviously (I've reported it and the clueless employees make up one excuse after another).

This method, though, usually assures you don't get screwed on your time:

When you are done for the evening, open a DIFFERENT book (I use one I've already read). Once it opens in R-I-S, even if you get the error msg, then jump to your home page and turn off your wifi.

When you come back next time and open wifi and try to get back to a book, first try the "wrong book" (often you don't even have to try, it tries it as soon as you turn on wifi). It will error out (who cares, though), then exit it and pick the book you do want to read. You should get your entire hour.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org