Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

June Free eBook from University of Chicago Press: The Lavender Scare, by David K. Johnson

[ Edited ]

This month's free eBook from the University of Chicago Press is The Lavender Scare, by David K. Johnson.  From the publisher's site:

You know about the Red Scare, of course.  Historian David K. Johnson relates the frightening, untold story of the Lavender Scare:  how, from WW2 to the early 1960s, homosexuals were considered as dangerous a threat to national security as Communists and were purged from the government.  It's a story of political repression as well as of the origins of the gay rights movement.

Go to http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html and follow the directions to get your free eBook.  Happy reading!

Contributor
balidog
0 Kudos

Re: June Free eBook from University of Chicago Press: The Lavender Scare, by David K. Johnson

Has anyone found a way to get this book on their NookColor? The book has DRM and I can't sideload or import using Calbre.  I've had other DRM books in PDF format on the NC and they will not open.  This book can only be read using Adobe Digital Editions. Ideas?

Frank 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: June Free eBook from University of Chicago Press: The Lavender Scare, by David K. Johnson

balidog wrote:

Has anyone found a way to get this book on their NookColor? The book has DRM and I can't sideload or import using Calbre.  I've had other DRM books in PDF format on the NC and they will not open.  This book can only be read using Adobe Digital Editions. Ideas?

Frank 

Follow the same procedure you would use to sideload a library book or any DRMed ebook bought at another vendor.  The link to the ADE Bible is in my signature.  The short version is:

• Download ADE.
  • Authorize ADE on your computer.
  • Download the ebook.  (Don't save, click open.  It should open with ADE.)
  • Plug in NOOK/NOOKColor.
  • ADE recognizes NOOK/NOOKColor.
  • Authorize NOOK/NOOKColor in ADE by following prompts.
  • Drag icon of book (in ADE!) onto icon of NOOKColor (in ADE!)
  • "Eject" NOOK
  • Tap "Check for New Content" in "My Documents"      <--- On NOOKColor you'll "Sync"
  • Read.  :smileyvery-happy:

If the above doesn't work, or you get a "User Not Activated" error, the solutions are in Frog Alum's thread in my signature.  You might have to read the entire thread, but there can't be an ADE problem that hasn't been solved in the thread somewhere.