Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

LOTR: Which version?

First of all, I apologize if this has been discussed.  I searched "lord of the rings ebook" and didn't see anything that specifically addresses what I am going to ask.  If there is a thread, please point me at it !

Ok, so I want to re-read the series and am confused as to which version I should get.  If anyone owns any version, please let me know any specific details such as :

1)  Footnote links?

2)  Maps? (Not really important to me, but I'd like to know if they are in any particular version)

3)  If it is a volume of all 3, how is the organizatin?  Easy to go to a particular book/chapter?

Thanks in advance.  The versions I am looking at are these:smileysad:only linking the first)

The Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings Trilogy #1)

The other option is the 3-in-1 version I found on inkmesh.

Thanks in advance.

- Zach
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: LOTR: Which version?

@bilbravo

I got the 3-in-1 version.  I found it very easy to navigate, and you can't beat it as a good buy.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

[ Edited ]

@bilbravo

I haven't tried the 3-in-1 edition, but I have purchased the three individual eBooks from B&N.  Interesting tidbit: It is believed that Tolkien original wrote LOTR as a two volume set...the publishers decided to make it a trilogy.

The footnote links work well, but I had to place a bookmark on the page I was on before I followed the footnote link so that I could get back to the original page after I was done reading the footnote.  Perhaps this was user error -- but worked ok as a process for me.

The maps are very difficult to see on the Nook (in my opinion).  However, the maps looked great when I was looking at the eBook on "Nook for PC." 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

@FantasyRider,

The story I heard was that Lord of the Rings was a single novel.

When the publisher balked at releasing something that size Tolkien simple divided the book into thirds with no modification to make them stand alone books.

Which is why there is no real conclusion to the first two book, You must read the entire trilogy.

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

@LarryOnLI - you are absolutely correct...my mistake.  He meant for the three LOTR volumes to be a single novel and bundled as a duology that would contain The Silmarillion.

The Silmarillion 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein