Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

LendMe torpedoed by Kindle

I'm starting to see complaints popping up on the boards here about NOOKbooks that are supposed to be LendMe—they say so on the NOOK, or show up in the LendMe search here on the site—but aren't lendable.

A number of publishers have suddenly stopped supporting LendMe in the past week or so. Could there be any connection to Kindle beginning to offer LendMe on December 30th? Ya think?

We've lost Penguin and a number of smaller publishers. At this point, the list of publishers still doing LendMe looks something like this (I don't claim that this is an exhaustive list):

The only one of the 'Big 6' publishing houses left doing LendMe is Macmillan. Which surprises me, because Macmillan CEO John Sargent is against library lending and has refused to provide Macmillan e-books for libraries.

Contributor
collum5
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe torpedoed by Kindle

AAARRRRGGGHHH! this is probably why in the last 3 days 8 out of 9 of my books are no longer lendable!! The logo is still there but when you lend it tells you it's no longer able to lend!! OF COURSE customer service wasn't REALLY sure what was going on! Good to know!

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I've just gotten more active in LendMe groups online and now I wonder what's the point.  Penguin is the biggest loss to me personally because off all the mystery cozies. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I've never really gotten into the Lend Me feature, but publishers should not be up to these shenanigans.

If it's lendable on one platform it should be lendable on the other. Period.

If anything, I would think they would be less likely to participate in Kindle's version of it. Publishers seem to perceive lending as "lost sales." With Kindle's bigger market penetration, you would think they would see it as a greater risk of losing sales.

Just goes to show just how confusing the paradigm shift is making publishers.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I took Doug's message to mean that these publisher are now not offering LendMe at all - neither on Nook or Kindle.  Did I misunderstand?

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

If it's lendable on one platform it should be lendable on the other.

That's what they're doing. Penguin and the others seem to be saying, "We don't want to lend on Kindle, so we'll have to stop lending on NOOK."

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RHWright wrote:

If it's lendable on one platform it should be lendable on the other. Period.

If anything, I would think they would be less likely to participate in Kindle's version of it. Publishers seem to perceive lending as "lost sales." 

I *think* that Doug is suggesting that since Kindle users began lending, the publishers have been pulling out of allowing lending completely.  That it's not just B&N losing out on lendables, but the same titles aren't available at Kindle to lend, either.

If I really were the "wear a colander because they're out to get me" type, :smileywink:, I'd wonder if Kindle added the lend feature, knowing full well that the publishers would balk at lending, and that since THEY (the publishers) had set the "same price at every retailer policy", ultimately the publishers would basically neuter the entire idea of "Lend Me."

Inspired Contributor
ivondale
0 Kudos

So they are changing books that we have already purchased to non-lendable? 

Distinguished Correspondent
Allem-o
0 Kudos

ivondale wrote:

So they are changing books that we have already purchased to non-lendable? 

Yes ... except to make your statement truly correct exchange 'purchased' for 'leased.'   In essence we only have leased our ebooks from the publishers. 

Allem-o

Ya_Ya wrote:

If I really were the "wear a colander because they're out to get me" type, :smileywink:, I'd wonder if Kindle added the lend feature, knowing full well that the publishers would balk at lending, and that since THEY (the publishers) had set the "same price at every retailer policy", ultimately the publishers would basically neuter the entire idea of "Lend Me."

YaYa.. I just ran and got my colander and am sitting here typing with it on my head ... because I think you might have nailed it.   :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Wrking21

I really get frustrated by this. I've sold dozens of Nooks (for B&N) due to my constant raving and toting the "LendMe" feature to my friends. I buy a book that's a "LendMe" under the understanding I will be able to "LEND" the darn thing! They should not be allowed to alter a purchase after the fact. Which is exactly what they are doing.

I'm sure this was a ploy on behalf of Kindle to kill yet another selling point of the Nook. One less thing to compete with. However; I see a simple solution to all of this. If B&N stopped supporting the publishers that refuse to cooperate in Ebooks or LendMe I'm rather certain that loss in profit which I'm sure is substantial would correct this ill-behavior!

This is the stuff petitions are made of!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Wrking21 wrote:

If B&N stopped supporting the publishers that refuse to cooperate in Ebooks or LendMe I'm rather certain that loss in profit which I'm sure is substantial would correct this ill-behavior!

No way can B&N afford to drop that significant portion of its product, especially because the publishers not allowing lending represent most of the bestselling authors.

A boycott wouldn't work anywyay, because If B&N dropped them, NOOK users would just go to Kobo, Sony, or someone else and buy there.  B&N would lose money, but the publishers wouldn't.

Contributor
jewelianna
0 Kudos

Except Barnes and Noble clearly "sells" books-  you have to click "buy" not "lease".   And even if it was a lease, they shouldn't be able to change the terms after purchase unless they're willing to give the 'leaser' that same right.

salander_9277
0 Kudos

So is this going to affect library licensing for lending e-books as well I wonder?

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I BUY my books from BN on my nook. How I choose to lend them and/or share them is up to me. For all BN knows people can just as easily share their nooks with other nook owners.

Sideloading is a beautiful thing.

Correspondent
Wrking21

Ya_Ya wrote:

A boycott wouldn't work anyway, because If B&N dropped them, NOOK users would just go to Kobo, Sony, or someone else and buy there.  B&N would lose money, but the publishers wouldn't.

Unfortunately Ya_Ya you're plastic clad head :smileywink: hit the nail on the head. Corruption abounds. There isn't a reason for them to play nice and do what is right. No consequences means no reason to change the bad behavior.

I do however; think that with them putting the "Buy" button on the website should bind them to an as is product. They definitely shouldn't be allowed to change it after the fact.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Wrking21 wrote:

I do however; think that with them putting the "Buy" button on the website should bind them to an as is product. They definitely shouldn't be allowed to change it after the fact.

Well, there's this from the B&N Terms of Use (Digital Content section XII):

Barnes & Noble.com reserves the right to modify or discontinue the offering of any Digital Content at any time.

And there's the reality of it: these sorts of changes in the agreements are rampant on Teh Intarwebs. No matter where you go, whatever you signed up for, it's probably not what you have now. It may not be right (and I'm inclined to think it's not), but that's the way it is.

Correspondent
Wrking21
0 Kudos

Soo true Doug so true! Not right but true none the less!

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

Colanders and funnels aside - the publishers are in business to make $$$ not to be philanthropists (altruism is not their middle name), no I am not siding with the concept of removing the Lendme feature, just saying. 

This is a new venue that has taken off all of a sudden in the last few years - that dreaded "K" word and now nook have taken a preeminent position in sales and revenue generation.  With lendme the publishers see a market that is not tapped - the folks that we just might lend that e-book to, if we cannot, they will have to buy it to read it.  Captive audience of an intangible product, what a treat to any merchant/wholesaler/manufacturer...

Intangible can in their minds create that captive audience, unlike a DTB the e-book just can not be picked up and handed off to another party.  Lendme at this point does not make sense to them, we have as Pogo said "met the enemy and he is we" (paraphrase).  The e-book is successful, we the nook and the dreaded "K" word folks have made it so, they publishers are reaping the bucks.

Take away that lendme option and they have made another sale - you can bet your sweet colander/funnel that they are making more from the e-book sales than from the paperback & hardback sales.   Overhead is a shelf in the sky, minimal at best for the editing and uploading & storing to that cyber shelf.   No employees required to just park it in the sky (well a few to punch a button to get it up there and maintain the sky shelf - they probably use contractors), no shipping, packing, postage, freight, warehousing fees, hum, wonder how they handle the warehouse/inventory tax on these puppies - some states are very heavy in the warehouse/inventory tax business.  

Just my observations on the reasons for the removal of Lendme by the powers that be. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

Colanders and funnels aside - the publishers are in business to make $$$ not to be philanthropists (altruism is not their middle name), no I am not siding with the concept of removing the Lendme feature, just saying. 

This is a new venue that has taken off all of a sudden in the last few years - that dreaded "K" word and now nook have taken a preeminent position in sales and revenue generation.  With lendme the publishers see a market that is not tapped - the folks that we just might lend that e-book to, if we cannot, they will have to buy it to read it.  Captive audience of an intangible product, what a treat to any merchant/wholesaler/manufacturer...

I was hoping you'd see that.  :smileytongue:

Unfortunately, I think they're missing the point that I've often bought books I've borrowed from the library.  My friends and I rarely lent/borrowed books, so the Lend Me feature isn't one I'm that excited about (or sorry to see go - although I did put all of my lendables on a shelf, just in case) but if anyone in those businesses is a reader, surely they should see that some people get hooked on and buy authors after reading the first book free -- Given, borrowed or library loan...  (Note I said should, because clearly they don't.)